Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First major ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by swannysan, May 9, 2012.

1. Finally (with lots of help and encouragement from a mate of mine) I rode from Melbourne to Bundoora, via CityLink and the Western Ring Road. It is definitely a run that I have to practice!

One thing I noticed about today's ride was how windy it was. To deal with this I tried to keep my upper body relaxed (so I wasn't fighting the bike) and grip the bike with my legs and not grip the handlebars with a vice-like grip. I managed alright, legs were a bit sore at the end of it. Is this the correct technique to tackle the wind pushing you around?

Also, if you notice another car/vehicle wants to change lanes to move in front of you, is it common practice to use the 'passing lights' or to flash your high beams to let them know it is safe/okay for them to go across?

2. Good on you. Yes keep loose and allow the bike to carry though the gusts, you have the right technique. Be careful of flashing your headlights as it can be interpreted either way, either annoyance or permission.
  3. Most cars will change whether you give them "permission" or not.

Flashing will probably confuse them. Just note they are likely to change and give them room.