Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First longer ride.. successful!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by LittleRed, Jun 29, 2015.

1. So I'm not all that new to riding, been at it for a little over two years now, but never really gone anywhere apart from home to work or into town to see friends or go shopping.

Today, I had no work and decided to fire up the CBR and go out for the day, leaving home about 12:30 and into Leongatha to fill up my bike (haircut too, whilst I was there) then set of to Mirboo North. Made my way through Thorpdale to Trafalgar where I stopped for lunch about 2:30 at BKs, I headed for Warragul and through to Korumburra.

There's certainly some tight corners along that bit of road, but I managed them all using only light braking and engine brakes.. no need for hard braking or panic braking.. guess I'm starting to get a better feel for entry speeds.

Then from Korumburra (stopped at a mates for an hour or so) to Leongatha and Leongatha to home at about 5:00. So overall, I had a great day off, found a few roads that I liked and just generally enjoyed the ride. A little stiff now but I'm still getting used to the sportier riding position of the CBR. No photos this time, because I was enjoying myself too much to stop.

• Like Like x 12
  2. A common affliction and one that I'm guilty of. But we expect photo's next time! Great to see you 'enjoy' the bike on the open road. :happy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I know the feeling. You get home from an awesome ride and its then you wish you had taken some pics :) Sign of a good ride.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sounds like you had a great afternoon off work and on the bike LittleRedLittleRed. I commute shorter distances too and it is good to get out for a ride just for the enjoyment of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Some great roads around there, and some corners that come up on you pretty quickly too :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Well done mate. And if you can wear a helmet after a haircut, you're a better man than me!

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Yes, it was really relaxing.. albeit chilly, will throw a jumper on under my jacket next time.

Had a look at my roster today and I've got tomorrow afternoon and Wednesday all to myself as well, so I'll be looking into going for another ride.. I'll make sure to pack the camera! Anyone know the area and know any decent places to ride? The ride I did today was a slight modification to a road my stepdad showed me not long ago.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Theres a great little stretch of road between Nyora and Poowong, also down near Kongwak and Glen Alvie, although like most of the roads these days they can be a little rough, but good for a cruise around

• Like Like x 1
  9. I head down there a fair bit, Korumburra through to Wonthaggi, one of my best mates family run the pub at Archie's Creek so I pass through any chance I get. Perhaps I need to plan a ride.. then get lost. Could lead to some interesting places! :LOL:

Rough roads don't bother me too much, one of the roads I rode today turned into gravel in the middle of a corner. Thankfully I saw the reduce speed sign and took it seriously because I wasn't too sure of the road.

10. It's actually a good place to get lost, done it a few times, when I start to worry I just head west to make sure I don't end up too far from where I want to be

• Like Like x 1
  11. LittleRedLittleRed, some of the best roads are when you are just out exploring, no looking for anything in particular, then taking mates back to show them what you have found. Great part of the world your in, get out and enjoy it

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 LittleRed, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    I'm planning on it, might need to start saving and buy a DR650 instead of the lil' 400, that way I can go absolutely anywhere without worrying about the DRZ400 struggling.. otherwise, if I can stick to made roads the CBR will be fine.

13. well done

• Like Like x 1
  14. well done. have not done a long ride yet but after 4 months i go for licence tomorrow

15. old age newbie. you motivated me. melb- healesville, black spur, alexandra. boonie doon, mt strathbogie near mansfied.rnight stay. home via yea toolangi state forest.
    thank you. IMG_20160123 uexpected journey. IMG_20160123maroondah dam. IMG_20160124_there. IMG_20160124_on the way back. IMG_20160124_on the way back again. IMG_20160123 uexpected journey. IMG_20160123maroondah dam. IMG_20160124_there. IMG_20160124_on the way back. IMG_20160124_on the way back again. IMG_20160123 uexpected journey. IMG_20160123maroondah dam. IMG_20160123maroondah dam. IMG_20160124_there. IMG_20160124_on the way back. IMG_20160124_on the way back again. IMG_20160123 uexpected journey. IMG_20160123maroondah dam. IMG_20160124_there. IMG_20160124_on the way back. IMG_20160124_on the way back again. IMG_20160123 uexpected journey. IMG_20160123maroondah dam. IMG_20160124_there. IMG_20160124_on the way back. IMG_20160124_on the way back again. IMG_20160123 uexpected journey. IMG_20160123maroondah dam. IMG_20160124_there. IMG_20160124_on the way back. IMG_20160124_on the way back again.

• Like Like x 3