Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First long ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Mike9999, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Ok, so after around 9 months being on the road I finally completed my first big ride (around 460km!). Left the house around 7:30am and arrived around 6pm. The ride took us around Healesville, Jamison and Eildon and was insanely fun. Despite a bit of traffic on the spur there weren't many cars and not one member of vicpol to be seen! My visor now wears the bodies of hundreds of bugs as testament of the awesomeness that was this ride.

I was comfortable the whole way through until around maybe 4pm when my knees started hurting. I relieved them by stretching my legs out, and I'm thinking that it was caused by my bike being a bit too small for me. Does anyone else get a similar discomfort on longer rides?

2. i envy you for taking such a long ride, I am sure you'll get tips etc from alot of the experienced establishment, stand by!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 jmck, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Great to hear you had agood ride. 450km in 10 hours I think you must of had some decent breaks, but after any thing over 6 hours in the saddle you can expect some discomfort particularly long highway strechs,where you are not moving around in the saddle. Regular breaks and interesting riding that is lots of corners, to keep you active is the key to long days behind bars

• Like Like x 1
  4. Good stuff mike, makes a huge differance those rides. I did about the same distance and probably passed you at some stage ;) I get the knee thing after around 200-250 and end up standing on the pegs, or stretching my legs, seems to be the only way to relieve it.

Well done on the big ride

• Like Like x 1
  5. Haha cheers goddie, yes it's not easy finding the time to fit in a monster like that!

Thanks for the replies guys, so it looks like this is a common problem! Although I reckon cruiser riders wouldn't have as much of an issue with it as they aren't bending their knees like us sportsbike riders are. Looks like regular breaks is the way to go. I also found myself standing on the pegs and also stretching my legs out, which helped temporarily lol. But anyway, it was damn worth it!

6. I get a sore arse riding at the best of times, especially on a bike

7. I remember my first 400k+ ride.

I was so rooted by the end of it that I was pretty much lying on the tank on the freeway and looking through the bike's windscreen. I wouldn't advise it, but yeah, very tired lower back.

8. Yeah I was the same on the way back from a ride to mornington once, had my arm on the tank and my head rested on that arm - it was a struggle to get home. Although today I felt pretty alert, I think it's because we had so many breaks.

9. Yeah I was alert, it was purely lower back fatigue.

Though this was before I started training and I was pretty weak and fat. I'd be fine now so long as I wasn't lifting heavy the day before.

I also find that my legs get a bit sore after a while, but stretching the one at a time works nicely.

10. Lol. I see the solution now - powerlifting. It seems to be solving all of life's little problems haha

11. Lol yes.

Seriously though, being stronger is great for everything, it's one of the best things you can do for you health in the long run. No need to take it to an extreme, but a 1.5xBW squat, a 2xBW deadlift, and a decent overhead press will mean that you'll be strong enough for most things in life. Train smart into old age and you'll have strong joints, better bone density, and you'll fight off muscle atrophy.

I'll stop now, but not before I give a shameless plug for Melbourni Uni Powerlifting, come in some time if you want, everyone's very friendly. We train Monday, Thursday, and Friday with most people there from 5-9.

12. LOL - glad you had fun, Mike.

Stretching and moving around a lot is the key. You really can sit on a bike - even a sporty one - for 18+ hours at a stretch, but not if you just sit on it. Straighten your legs, put them on the pillion pegs, stand up on the pegs, slump and rest on the tank, sit up as straight as you can, carry your weight on your wrists, then hold it up with your back and your legs ... Do whatever you like, but don't just sit there like a lump.

Also, riding a bike is a little bit like riding a horse. The body gets used to it and toughens up. An hour is a long time at first, but as you ride more, two and then three and so on become no big deal.