Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First long ride-nerves setting in

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jaxbak, Aug 24, 2009.

1. I am a new - mature age, female - rider, have only traveled about 400km on open roads, no experience in the ranges as yet.

There is a planned trip over the Dorrigo range to Coff's Harbour in a couple of weeks; bikes (no pillions) and a vehicle to carry gear. About 4 hrs travel time each way. (Staying the weekend)

I am feeling quite nervous but excited to be heading off on my first real road trip.

Any tips for this newby?

2. Hi Jaxbak,

I don't have any tips for you as I'm only new myself ;)

But just wanted to say Welcome to NR and I hope that you's have a safe fantastic trip!!

Look forward to hearing all about it when you get back!!
  3. You will find a few tips through out here. some basics to refresh
    keeps meals light and healthy try to avoid fatty foods as they can make you quite tired.
    check tyre pressures before you leave.
    I am a big fan of ear plugs
    drink water.
    Hope that helps
    Probably the last thing would be ride at your own pace.
    Group rides are funny you may well want to ride with someone that you normally wouldn't want to know and love talking to someone you hate rideing with. This is normal and you don't have to keep up with or be friends with every one :)
  4. Thanks for the prompt replies.

I have read a lot of tips and suggestions for touring, and feel comfortable with that info.

I am worrying more about the safety aspect; mostly over reacting to an unexpected event.

When I was a very new learner I had a near miss with a pole when I focused on that rather than the corner I was turning. Still feel like a goose over that one but it did teach me a lesson.

I am remaining very alert and observant when on the road, and aware of my position regarding oncoming traffic etc.

I guess what I need is for some one to tell me " go for it! You can do it!" - hey wait... maybe I just did that!
  5. *grins broadly*
  6. just plan your stops, and maybe have them a bit closer together at the end when you are getting tired. whoever you are riding with will wait for you so don't rush. we pick places to wait. eg roundabouts, servos etc and make sure everyone knows the next one before we leave the current one. if its a good group and you are a bit slower someone will drop back with you. some groups ride at a pace so you keep the guy behind in your mirrors.
    you can get cheap bluetooth earphones. eg.
    and make one of the better riders wear them so you can call them if you get too far behind. (my wife has inflicted them on me as I get the green mist)
    so just communicate then everyone can enjoy themselves.
    On a recent ride we had a guy complaining he had to do 150 to catch us after he got caught in traffic, but by the time he got to us we were stopped and waiting for him.
  7. Have fun. And make sure you stop at dorrigo's 'smallest motorcycle museum' :grin: Juan runs it he's a good guy, always lots of bikes about and cool things to look at. Massive choice of food imo too.

And the bit of waterfall way just out of dorrigo is pure magic for about 5-10kms, racetrack quality tarmac. Just take it very easy as the corners are a bit challenging (esp the first time I did it as a newb when they had no advisory signs).

Take your time just have a nice cruise. Remember if you find yourself going into a corner too fast its all in your head just look through the corner and dont let off the throttle.

Tyre repair kit is a good idea on any long trip too.

But as I've already said, have fun thats what its all about.
  8. electrical tape and a pack of zip ties, tyre repair kit is good too. plenty of water, get a camelpack if you can.
  9. 400k's each way sounds like a great introduction to touring to me!

As far as worrying is concerned, don't. Keep a good distance from the bike/s in front of you, ride "offset" to the guy infront so that you have extra visibility and keep a good lookout. Country roads can be a bit of a lottery so be ready.

If it is anyway a well organised ride, the leaders will have arranged so that even the slowest rider can ride at their own pace and not feel that they are holding up the rest of the group.
  10. The good news is that I know this road well - as a car driver.

All the riders are well acquainted, I am married to one, mother to another, and good friend to the other, and they accept me as the least experienced on the team, and will make allowances for that.

I just recently obtained my full license at age 50 (plus) with minimal riding experience. My lovely husband had bought me the bike as a surprise; I probably would have opted for a lesser powered bike than the Kawasaki 900, but now I have it I love it and plan to live out my mid life crisis on it (taking all due care, of course)
  11. I went through there a couple of months back with a bunch of Laverdas heading to Bellengin for the National Rally,brilant bit of road,use your own judgment for corners,dont follow others outside your comfort zone,keep scaning the road,less likly on a bike but after a while you can zone out if you dont keep focused and dont forget to relax you grip and have fun,lucky buggar
  12. My wife was about 33yo when she started riding.
    Had only done about 50 km around town on a KR1 then we decided to go for a bit of a run.
    Canberra, Cowra, Bathurst, Penrith, Picton, Canberra in the day, including rain coming down the mountains and a mechanical hiccup (bits of an earring can be used to replace a broken carby needle circlip).
    A good trip with a few scary moments including a cage that wasn't very nice!!
    Shortly after that I had to find a 600 for her........
  13. If you haven't ridden 4 hours before you may experience a little muscle and depending on your seat, bum soreness. Try to do a few longer rides before hand to build up to it a bit.

Just ride at your own pace and don't get sucked into trying to keep up with faster riders.

And make sure you have a ball.
  14. I am glad I posted here; good information and I feel more confidant.

Thanks for taking the time, everyone
  15. one of these may help. gather you are on a cruiser

16. +1 on the airhawk twistngo........ They are bloody awesome Best pressie the missus has brought me in a long time :)

17. So your missus is wanting you to be gone for longer? :grin:
  18. Or, you can go to your local bicycle shop and buy a pair of gel shorts like the racers use. About $60 a pair, heaps cheaper than a custom seat and just as effective.
  19. Hey cool, you'll go past me on the way to coffs :) I live in Armidale and have also driven that road plenty of times. I'm going for my bike L's this weekend and am planning to ride to coffs and back for my first longish ride :)
    Just watch out for the potholes on the coffs side of armidale about 10-20k's out!