Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Long Ride - Mount Glorious & Mount Nebo

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Captain115, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    Just came back from my first lengthy day ride and had a great time, so I thought I might do a quick write up for anyone interested.

The Reason
    I’d spent a good part of last week doing uni assignments and working, so it felt like I needed to take a break and go do something enjoyable. Also the past fortnight had on-again/off-again rain, which had kept me from riding or skating (my other hobby) and made get feel a little stir crazy. Finally, I am fairly new to riding motorcycles so I really wanted to get my cornering skills up to speed (pun intended).

The Bike
    My trusty little 2006 CBF250, with a full tank of fuel and a need to ride at speeds above 50kmph (it had spent the past few weeks being used exclusively as a commuter).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Route
    I wanted to go somewhere that had coffee and windy roads and was fairly close to my home suburb of Taringa. A quick search on google maps came up with the D’Aguilar mountain range which included Mount Nebo and the pleasantly-named Mount Glorious. Even more promising was the collection of various cafes that were scattered along the route, giving me the chance to sample various coffees as I went. I had gone out the night before to watch the footy, so I didn’t get off to as early a start as I had wanted but at roughly midday I set off.

There was some moderate traffic up Boundary road through Bardon, where I practiced my slow speed skills, but the traffic died away as I got out past The Gap.

Side question: is it ok to slip the clutch and drag the rear brake for slow speed movement up a hill when the traffic is moving slowly? Or should I just do stop and start, eg stop and waiting for a sizeable gap then ride up and close the gap etc?

At times the weather looked a little rainy, however it all held off and I was rewarded with blue skies and bright sunshine. I had a great time going through all the twists and corners, and certainly think I am getting a lot better with my counter steering, lean angles, throttle control and looking through the corners at the vanishing point.

Because it’s such a great place to ride, I passed dozens of bikes during the course of the day and most of them gave me the nod. It might seem trivial but when you’re inexperienced and riding by yourself, the sense of camaraderie you get from a nod is pretty great!

I pulled into three separate café’s, two at Mount Nebo and one at Mount Glorious. The first of the bunch, Jones Tearooms, was quaint and empty of other customers. I was served by a lovely old lady who was very friendly and we had a chat about the weather and the scenery of the location. Coffee was quite average, the milk was poorly stretched with excessive foam on top and the cup had not been pre-heated resulting in a luke-warm drink. However, it was reasonably priced and the conversation was good enough that I didn’t really mind.

The ride to the second café at Mount Glorious was a bit slower as the road was more challenging, with tighter corners and steeper descents. I’d just like to give a shout-out to the trike and fireblade who got stuck behind me for a little section; they were both very courteous and only passed me when I had straightened up and had waved them through.

After reaching Mount Glorious, I decided to pull into the Maiala Rainforest Teahouse as it had at least fifteen different motorcycle parked out the front. A quick glance confirmed that my bike was by far the smallest capacity there, and I had parked it between a large Ducati Monster and a R1 which certainly didn’t help! I ordered a flat white from the friendly waitress and while waiting, I checked out the rest of the bikes there, which ranged from cruisers to sport-tourers to motards. The coffee itself was excellent; I was very impressed with the smoky roast and the velvety milk.

It had reached about 2pm, so I decided to head back and found the corners a lot less challenging this time round. Perhaps because I knew what was coming? Anyway I made it back to Mount Nebo in good time and decided to check out the Boombana Café as I went through. It was fairly busy so I had to wait a while for a drink but the staff were very apologetic and the coffee, when it came, had a smooth caramel-esque flavor.

The ride home was great as I was a lot more confident through the corners and knew where to avoid any potholes or loose gravel. Got stuck in some more traffic near Toowong, but I was still psyched from the ride so didn’t bother me at all. Came home, washed the bike and then had a beer. All in all, a great day!

A couple of things I noticed:

1) I seem to be not as good at right hand corners, and I believe this has to do with my counter steering inputs whilst still using the throttle. Do I just need a lot more practice or is there a trick I can use to make it flow more smoothly?

2) I found that downhill corners seem to be more challenging than uphill, almost a sense of the bike falling away from me? Seemed to lessen if I focused on squeezed the tank with my legs but again, is this something that will come with practice?

3) I really need earplugs, as I use a flipface helmet (makes it easier to get my glasses on and off) and there is a lot of road noise at 80kmph+. In fact I had painful raining in my ears at the end of the ride, and stayed slightly deaf for a half hour or so which is not good.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope it was enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1

2. I think everyone has one side which they find easier to turn into when starting out

Notice that going uphill you dont seem to use the brakes as much. :D
    Going faster downhill requires more cajones :D
  3. 1) No real tricks with turning a different direction better or worse, just something you get used to.

2) Going downhill you might want to try some engine braking. Go down a gear. That might let you use the throttle a bit more through the corner (might make it seem a bit more like an uphill corner), and you have more traction with higher revs. If you're just rolling down a hill, you will find that cornering suffers. You need to have that wheel powering against the road for more grip and tighter corners.

3) Get some ASAP. Earplugs are awesome, and when your mind isn't subtly panicking from the whooshing noises you might find yourself concentrating more. A long ride might give you physical soreness, leading to exhaustion. Having exhausted ears just adds to that fatigue.
  4. Glad you've discovered the joys of Mt Glorious and Nebo. You can actually keep riding further than the teahouse at Mt Glorious and come down the range on the western side (there are some steep and sharp sections so only do that when you feel you are ready), theres a T junction at the end where you can turn around and ride back to Brisbane the same way (or go home via Kilcoy and Mt Mee). Anyway, I prefer going uphill than down, and cornering to the left than the right, I think everybody has their own preferences but the more you ride, the better you will get.
  5. I think earplugs are a must for higher speed riding. I was having hearing problems until I started using earplugs and I also find it far easier to focus when I don't have the rushing wind noise - particularly on long rides.
  6. Congrats on the longer ride and enjoying yourself.
    Some great roads around there that I am sure you will visit time and time again.
    I wear earplugs every time I ride. There is the very very rare occasion if I am just going to be on the bike for less than 5 mins, that I will leave them out. Just because I love to hear the full noise of my bike sometimes. But 99% of the time I wear them. Your hearing is too valuable.

I prefer going uphill, but that is mainly because I am not as confident as I would like with heavy braking into downhill corners.

Enjoy the riding, and take it at your own pace.
  7. enjoyable reading. Keep up the great riding and learning.
  8. Thanks for the replies everyone, I had a great time and have taken up using earplugs now. Not sure if I enjoy the feeling of deafness and lack of contact with the world that having earplugs imparts, but it certainly reduce my headaches and tinnitus.

I'm actually riding to see my parents in Gympie on Thursday, which is about a 2 and a bit hour ride so should be interesting to see how I go after that long trip. I might do a little writeup for other new riders to have a read of my problems or thoughts.