Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First highway trip

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Spidapig, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Hi all, first post on hear so go easy. I have been reading the posts on hear picking up tips and having a laugh and thinking no way to some of the stories. But after todays ride im thinking did i do the right thing getting my licence. I have had my L's now for about 2 months and have been building up the experience on quiet roads and getting some hours under my belt. But today l decided to ride to work as it was a nice day, from Geelong to Melb up the highway. Alls good until some clown (yes strangly enough in a crumydore) decides to do a multi lane change without looking. Stuffed if i know how she missed but she did. Anyway my question is this, is this a regular thing, apart from being suspicious of everyone in a car what else can you do. It has really put the wind up me, does this pass is it just a newbie thing.

2. before i can give any advice i need to ask why it took you 2 months to venture off the quiet back roads?
  3. Hiya!

Mmh, well; On my VTR250 I did around 30,000km of laps of the Geelong-Melb highway (commuting from Newport to Alcoa) and riding in Melbourne city, and I can count on one hand the number of near misses I experienced, with fingers to spare.

That is to say, I think it's fairly uncommon and irregular, if you have good roadcraft.
  4. Hi as for the two months to venture onto the highway. I just wanted to get as used to the bike as possible before hitting the highway build up the confidence
  5. see theres the problem, you haven't been getting any experience by not venturing out into traffic, you might have a slight better grasp of how to use your controls, but haven't ever needed to avoid an incident, so you don't know what to look out for, and when something happens your caught off guard not knowing exactly what to do

the best pointers i can give you should have been told to you at which ever learners course you done

1.always stay out of drivers blind spots
    2.watch the movements of peoples heads, especially if your caught in a blind spot, if it looks like they are checking the mirror, roll off the throttle and be prepared for them to come over on you
    3.check your mirrors regularly, look for fast approaching traffic and get out of the way
    4.when pulling up at a set of lights watch your mirrors for a car that isn't looking for you but could be about to rap you and your bike
    5. never assume someone has seen you, maintain your buffer zone and set up if you have a feeling something could happen
  6. James, me ol' pal, you forgot;
    6. And do heaps of monos!

moved to new riders forum :)
  7. This sort of sh*t happens everywhere.

The highway is nothing special.

Like they say around here, HTFU :LOL:
  8. +1 Spots & qbnspeedfreak :)
    Experience will improve your roadcraft & 'spidey' sense. You'll find it happening less the more you ride, and that's only because you will be able to predict it before it happens. :wink:
    Keep at it !
  9. god yes... you needed to be out there 1.5 months ago.. motorways can turn people in cages into wanna be brockys (RIP) so you have to have you race eyes on and be ready for the sh!t.
  10. I think you are going about it the right way. If you are concerned about just feeling comfortable on the bike then "just get out there" is hardly the advice I'd be listening to. I found this thread to be really helpful: https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36671

You need to be comfortable with handling the bike under calm, low-risk conditions before you head out onto the busier streets. You need to be able to have all of the gear changing, breaking, indicating and so on well under control so that you can spare more of your attention for the other road users.

What I have found (as a fellow newbie to riding on the road) is that I'm spending less of my mental energy keeping track of what gear I am in and how hard I can squeeze the break or twist the throttle without the bike ducking or leaping, and that means that I am noticing more of the tell-tale signs that people around me are about to do stupid, stupid things. I still don't have the spidey-senses as finely tuned as I'd like, but I'm sure that will come with practice and experience.

I can say that I'm managing to keep my eyes up and focused further ahead, which means that I often see the person 8 cars in front indicating and start to watch for people suddenly shifting lanes to avoid them. Sure enough, a few seconds later the cars behind the turner slam their brakes on and swerve into my lane without looking. But because I was expecting it I had already slowed down to increase the space between myself and them, and used just enough pressure on the brake lever to light up my brake light so that the cars behind me know that I'm slowing down and don't rear-end me.

I was told the other day by a rider I respect and admire that he had never had an altercation with a car in nearly 40 years of riding. He rides in a way that keeps him out of trouble, he sees problems before they happen and has already countered them by the time that the car or truck does whatever it is that would catch a newbie like me by surprise. That is what I'm aiming for. :)

Just take it at your own pace - you'll be fine.
  11. agreed. my comment of just go for it may not be overly correct in this situation but with new experience your confidence and more importantly ABILITY grows very quickly..any riding is a good thing when you need to get your skills up.. use the thing as much as you can.. we all remember that first stall im sure.
  12. Or in my case, a first stall followed by bunny-hop followed by stall followed by bunny-hop... all to the great amusement of the 50 people standing outside Young & Jacksons waiting to cross Flinders St to get to the station. :D After that I decided to stick to the quiet streets for a while rather than running through the CBD...

But you are quite right - the best thing I did was start going to the L-plater rides on a Tuesday night. My confidence increased, and I had a chance to practice with experienced riders looking on to correct my errors. But I did have to wait until I was comfortable on the bike before I was ready to join those rides.
  13. or a stall at the lights as you were day dreaming and then getting the sh!ts and hitting it for a pogo stick.. followed by the look of... yeah i meant that.
  14. Geelong Rd is full of crap drivers, especially around Werribee, trying to cut across 3 lanes of traffic or weaving in and out. The road itself tends to be so boring that drivers loose concentation.

Keep looking around, use your mirrors, buffer and keep checking what drivers are doing, your senses will develop quickly.
  15. nah that's only for when you need to see over the line of traffic :wink: