Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Group Ride - any basics we should keep in mind?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by campleader50, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Howdy.
    I've been asked to join a small bunch of riders for a sprightly Saturday morning jaunt. So far I think there is only 4 of us, 3 pretty fresh and one who's been riding for a while. Any basic tips for riding safely in a group? We certainly are not planning anything too intense, (or even fast for that matter), but I was wondering if there are some Golden Rules we should be aware of?

2. Do you know where you are going. All of you?

If you dont then you either need to all stay in sight of each other or someone has to mark corners.

For a group that small, keep in sight of each other. 7 or so you probably need a person to mark the corner by waiting until tail end charlie comes past. Always put fastest bike and rider at the back - they can catch up easiest if last bike gets cauth at the lights, next best (not necessarily next fastest - better if it's most sensible than more fast) should lead if they know the way.

Many clubs will actually have "ride rules" posted on their websites.

Protect the n00bs in the middle. Dont make them lead, nor go Tail End Charlie.

Luckily, I've been doing this a bit recently so have some recent practice.

Remember guys, if the leader decides to thrash around a corner for a laugh and a bit of knee down (well, knee almost down like I do - jeans dont scratch well) then they should make sure that the learners behind know they're not meant to try and keep up. I'll make it damned obvious if thats my goal - back right off for some runup room and then WOT and hang right off it for the corner.....

You nail your corner then pull over and wait, or cruise at -30 until they arrive if no-one else is on the road.

Nothing pi55es me off more than people telling someone with less experience "just keep up". If they want to go 20kph under the limit just let them. Dont force someone else to kill themselves to prove how tough you are.
  3. What he said.

Take as much time as you need, dont feel pressured, and keep a 2 second buffer front and back.
  4. Dont ride to close to the person infront. Keep a good distance.

Let everyone know ur a newb, first group ride. If there is alot of people, i am sure someone will babysit u.

Go only as fast/slow as U want to.

Have Fun
  5. Nice read, explains it all :)
  6. Thanks folks - exactly what I was looking for, especially the article.
    Netrider comes through again.