Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First FZR250R is done

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Linkin, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Just wanted to share what I've had to do to get this FZR into acceptable shape. When I bought it, it had been ran into the ground. Doesn't help that they're all imports, and parts mixed n matched n chopped n changed. Main problem was the head... gasket had blown due to insufficient torque (finger tight) on one stud, and the one above it was in upside down. Needed 2 heli coils in each thread.

I did run it on the parade lap at eastern creek, during the barry sheene festival of speed this year. Good fun.

707UKd5.

You can see the blown gasket here (cylinder on the right)

T2zXyUO.

The block was utterly filthy, when we pulled the head it stank of burnt oil.. I did a full change when I bought it.

d0M4giu.

Here's the head & valves... disgusting and carbonised

KjYDj7G.

Leak testing the valves... they all leaked

6JCeaPq.

KXw1trI.

Cylinder base gasket. The bores are not part of the lower engine casing on this model bike

4AnlTPH.

eorIdAJ.

Giving the head a shave

b6UkPIS.

Stuffed thread on the block with spare bolt

BF7eRfp.

Valves 90% clean

hw9gioP.

Washing the head

oS8DKEN.

Thread repair

xH6lplO.

Cleaned up and going back together

2AmpqDJ.

URihsbJ.

PXUyXBm.

Valve clearance

b54U8ZB.

Carb fuel inlet broke, replaced with spare

LxW3PwX.

tBQaCJo.

Bike back together, 95% done. Needs correct size tyres, couple of cooling system hoses... I will take it to the dyno soon as its been tuned properly and should have good power with new rings

xLLDUgG.

2vyt3EU.

GqPsXql.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Good project Linkin. Nice to see the "Fuzzer's" resurrection.

3. Really nicely done.
    It's good to see people starting to restore these things, I think the CBR, ZXR and FZRs will be worth money someday to people who loved them when they were younger, enjoy it!

4. Finishing touch. FZR400 3TJ screen modified to fit. Basically just line up and drill new holes

MdjZAZy.

cobDGR3.