Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Flat in Two Decades

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by PatB, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Picked up a nail in the back tyre of the DR on the way home last night. It turned my already longish commute into a marathon series of short hops from petrol station to petrol station, hunting for a can of tyre-weld and, not finding any for a while, sticking as much pressure into the tyre as I dared before dashing the next few kms before it went completely flat again.

Finally found a can. Bloody $18. Look, I want to stick it in my tyre, not be raped with it. Anyway, pulled the nail and applied the goop. It seemed to be holding so I set off again. Made it quite a long way before things went flat again. Stuck in 50psi at a handy garage and finally made it home after wobbling the last few kms at 50-60 km/h on a not quite flat hoop.

Couple of points though. I'm quite impressed with the DR650/TrailWing combination. The tyre sidewalls are so stiff and the beads so tight that it's actually quite safe to ride in a straight line on a totally flat tyre. I'm not sure I'd recommend doing 80+km/h though :shock::D. Because my commute is mostly straight lines, it took me several kms to convince myself that anything was wrong. It was only when I had to turn and things felt a bit squirmy that I was finally sure that all wa not well.

The tyre weld, although it didn't work completely, at least slowed the leak far enough to let me make it home without completely destroying the tyre, so it's worth trying if you're desperate. With all the usual provisos about the result of sudden deflation of a tyre at speed and a reminder that the can specifically recommends against its use on motorcycles.

Now to spend the weekend wrestling with a tyre that was an utter bastard last time I changed it and now is full of foamy chemical slime as well. What fun.
  2. Punctures are the devil's work not a doubt in the world. Only running second to getting tyre weld off your rim.

They're not always available but if can ever lay your hands on an oversized screw to plug the hole temporarily, you'll be glad you did when it comes time to replace or repair the tyre.

Beer will get it off, lots and lots of beer.
  3. Good tip, but it ain't gonna work on a tubed tyre.

Now you come to mention it, I suspect it might :LOL:.
  4. good point. hopefully the muck has stayed inside the tube and you can use the beer for drinking instead :LOL: