Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First fall.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Saml, Apr 28, 2006.

1. I took off on a green light in first, stalled, bike hopped a bit first, I lost control and fell. :shock:

I felt way too confident after an enjoyable ride, roundabouts, lights, speed humps, bridges... Was so happy riding I was singing to myself :LOL:

Then on the way home, 'back in the traffic' I paniced at the lights, knowing that would be the worst place to stall, so suddenly I'm not 'feeling' the clutch change like I did, and it got away from me..

I got straight back up, picked up my bike, took off, eyes wide open, heart racing, and made it home without a problem..

Little scratch on the bike.. oh well! I'll always remember where that came from.

my heart is racing.. still!

2. I forgot to mention, I"ve had my bike only a few days, a few rides, a lot of nerves... This is all so new to me..

3. Damn, sucks mate.
    Glad to hear it was only small and didnt hurt the bike or yourself too much.
  4. Chin up mate. And always remember "there is no spoon"

The more nervous you feel the more likely you'll trip up.
  5. Many bright points here, pal, don't be downcast
    It was a simple mistake, and you know what you did wrong
    No-one ran into you while you were down
    You didn't do any serious damage to the bike
    You were able to ride home and 'debrief it' in your mind.
    I call that as good as a drop can get! :grin:
  6. Yeah, glad you got that out of the way nice and quick and painlessly.

Now don't do it again ya CLOWN!
  7. sorry to hear bout the scratch. keep on ride'n :)
  8. Once you've done it once you'll never do it again, sorry about the drop but at least there was minimal damage :(
  9. Sorry to hear about that but remember...the clutch is your friend, pull it in if you are about to stall, then even if the bike does stall you're free-wheeling and the compression from the stalled engine is not going to lock up the back wheel etc. Then you can click it into neutral and restart the bike while still rolling.
  10. eh that is nothing... My mate picked up a brand new Zeal only to smash it into a power poll the first time he was parking it...

Don't feel bad about it it happens... Practice practice and some more practice will iron out these little bumps...
  11. Hi, I've noticed a couple of your posts... It would probably help you greatly to go on a ride with someone, just to build up your confidence... but if you're in remote location, it might be difficult to arrange. On the other hand, thank goodness for light traffic, uh? Imagine if you were in Sydney...
    I wonder, do you have a car licence, or is this your first time on any kind of wheels?

As for stalling... you have a new bike, right? It should be in good working order. And you said your accident happened at the end of your ride, so the engine should be nice and warm... So if you stalled, I think one of two things went wrong: either your revs were too low, or you let out the clutch too quickly.

Once I tried to teach a friend of mine how to drive a manual car, and he kept stalling... after a while I realised his problem was that he thought when the clutch started to take up it was time to just bang - let it go! This is not the case... when it starts to take up, this is the time to keep it steady for a moment, then release it slowly! In relative terms, of course - you don't want to ride for miles on half-clutch :) But the point is, don't let it go suddenly. Do it in controlled fashion, and eventually it will all happen quite quickly.

And make sure you've got enough revs - that's quite easy, because you're standing still, so just look at the tacho and make sure you've got them... how much? Well, I don't know, that depends on your engine.. Maybe around 3,000rpm?
  12. Thanks for that, it makes it clearer for me to understand, so I can avoid it happening again. In hindsight, I did let the clutch go too fast with few revs..

When i've done that previously i've just stalled, so it took me by surprise when it bunny hopped and I just lost control..
  13. yes have my car and bike license, so have experience on the road, in traffic etc..

very little on a bike.

I'm extremely grateful I'm in a quiet country town, I choose the evenings where there's barely anyone on the roads to come out and practice, and I'm still a bundle of nervs lol..

I know I'll get there!!
  14. Spend a night practicing takeoffs.

Clutch in, the bike in first gear, foot on rear brake.

Hold the throttle at a steady 3000-3500rpm.

Work out where the friction point is for your clutch by easing it out till you feel the revs start to slightly drop. Hold it there a sec.

Ease your foot off the rear brake and the bike should start to move forwards.

As it starts moving forwards ease the clutch out further until it's all the way out and you're moving along.

Stop and repeat the process till you feel you have mastered it. :)
  15. Saml ,im a new rider also and as i have said before i have the same bike.

I really know CRAP about bikes ect....... ,but what im wondering is?.

When i got my bike new ,the clutch was SOOO EASY to use ,as i only had to let the clutch out about 4cm from the hand grip and the clutch would start to grab and the bike move forward.
    """ you with me so far i hope so :oops: """

Anyway ,after i got my first 1000KM service ,they adjusted the clutch and now i almost have to let the whole clutch leaver all the way out and it's ALOT trickyer then before to control ,as i only have the tips of my fingers to control the leaver now, because i have to "almost " let the whole leaver out before the clutch grabs and I start to move forward.

Im just wondering as your hands might be little and the leaver on the GS clutch MAYBE set like mine and making it hard for you to control???.

If you get what im saying??
    If not don't worry ,just take your time and have fun.. :oops:
  16. Cheers, for the advice, h0nd@!

I'm a newbie as well, who has driven an auto and has bought herself a manual bike...
  17. sounds to me like they have stuffed up the adjustment. Take it back to them and let their mechanic check.... Should be able to check while you wait
  18. Yea I do get what your saying, I'll pay closer attention to it tonight. I'm not sure I was finding the clutch too far out when I found the friction point.

I wonder if you can get them to change it back?

sounds annoying!!

That's exactly what I'll be doing tonight, great tip.. thanks!
  19. Yeah it was a pain at first ,a REAL pain doing the slow riding in the P's test ,i got the hang of it now ,just to get ride the 45 minutes to the dealers to get it adjusted.
  20. And it's easy to adjust the take up point of the clutch lever Sam, as I have said to Sled before.