Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First experience with Vic Police.. new found respect!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by LittleRed, Mar 10, 2015.

1. So I was pulled over Sunday night whilst cutting a few laps around town looking for friends, first time I've ever been pulled over in almost two years of riding (minus roadside breath tests).

It didn't bother me at all, it's his job after all. The thing that bothered me was the amount of things I was doing wrong. Let me give you a quick run down.

- Speeding, although not intentional it turns out the road I was on turns from 60km/h to 50km/h (there wasn't any visible signs saying so, so I continued at 60km/h)

- I wasn't displaying my P plates. Ever since I was on my learners I was replacing plates faster than I was filling my bike with fuel, so I just didn't bother.

- I wasn't carrying my license. I lost it at the pub a week back, not replacing it as I'm being issued a new one at the end of this month.

So yeah, a revenue raisers heaven.. right? I knew I was in the wrong and wouldn't argue about it. This is where I gained a new respect for the local police, or at very least this police officer.

First things first, he pulled me over and waited until my helmet was off and I was off my motorcycle, he asked how I was and started chatting about my bike. Apparently he used to own a DRZ400 that he misses every day. He gave me a breath test and asked for my license.. I sighed and said I lost it not long ago. He asked my name and if the bike was in my name (it is) went back to his car and sat for a few minutes. He didn't even mention another word about my lost license.

He then popped his head out the window and asked where my plates were, I explained the situation and he told me as much as I hate it, I'd need plates otherwise I would be fined.. I said I'd go to BP and grab one if he wanted to follow.. he nodded and told me that's fine and he'd give me the benefit of the doubt.

Last but not least he mentioned my speed and before I could explain he pointed out where I should be slowing down as there isn't any signs for some odd reason. He asked what my plans for the rest of the night were and I told him I was having a few beers with mates but all the bottle shops were shut (8:45pm on a Sunday) he told me that IGA was open until 9pm and wished me a safe ride.

I was in such a good mood after this, I didn't drink but continued to ride until about 2:30am Monday morning.

I've got a new found respect for the police in my area.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. U must be hot
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I'm a slightly overweight 20 year old guy, didn't even have my cleavage out. So that can't be it!
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Washers either side of that P plate will make it last.
  5. I'd take this as a gentle warning from the officer, i'm pretty sure if he pulled you over again he might not be so pleasant or nice about issuing fines.

I think you got the 'first ones a freebie' deal in this instance.

As a side note, if you have room for it, put a spare plate under your seat etc.. for such an occasion :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. I tried that once didn't even last one day. DRZ's are destroyers of plates.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Strapped to the back or backpack? Is that legal?
  8. In my option that's how all cops should be,maybe even an electronic copy of warnings give.If not complied with then a fine if pulled over again.. Carrot and stick approach.Helps to have a polite manner in these encounters.And then every once in a while you strike a power hungry dickhead.
  9. Short answer, no.
  10. Obviously wasn't a real cop!

In my experience it means that the 'rubber band' of life just stretched to it's limit. I think you'll find that now you're gonna get done for doing 62 in a 60 zone, low range drink driving - without even touching a drop (but the machine is dead correct!), and riding with half a foot off the peg!

On the way home you'll cop a face full of bird poop! Then the rubber band will be re-set.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Give it time. It won't last.
  12. And there are the gold old buzz kills
  13. Local cops are usually the best as they don't want to be made to look like a dick in front of their townsfolk. They're just people like you and me.
    I miss my hometown. The cop there was a legend. I got caught riding my Yamaha YZ80 through some otherwise isolated back roads. He told me off followed me home. But never mentioned it to my folks. Such a small thing but I big deal when you're 10
  14. I've connected my P plate using a hole that's in my number plate.. so far so good and I've done a couple 100ks since then. The true test will be wet weather and dirt riding, but I've got a spare in my back pack.

I've met some rude police in my time for various different issues, but I usually find it's because they have had a bad day.. the next time I see them, they are usually completely different people. Guess it's all luck of the draw.
  15. Connected my L plate the same way, at the bottom middle hole of the number plate. The first one without washers got lost after about 1,000km. The current one with washers has lasted over 10,000km so far.
  16. Grab a few cable ties as well and keep those in your back pack too.. will do in a pinch if your plate goes and need to attach a new one quickly
  17. For the plates, get a hot nail and pass it through the plate near the edge, forming a round hole (pliers, gloves and a bbq work well here). Put four holes in it, one in each corner. Then cable tie it to the bike. The cable ties absorb most of the vibrations, and the slightly thicker edge of the melted plastic around the edge of the hole makes them last a fair bit longer. I never needed to replace any using this method.

As for the copper, he has updated your electronic file with a warning. Do not expect to be so nicely dealt with next time, as you have been helped once. It seems to me that if you get pulled over for doing the wrong thing more often than every three years, you get a fine. If it has been more than 3 years, you tend to get another warning. But some are more officious than others. Some are just nice guys doing their job, and some are champions.

Edit: pic of bike with cable ties holding the plates.
  18. I'm using the suction cup supplied to hold the plate on as I only had pocket change at the time. Instead of using the suction cup side, I used the ball end that usually holds the plate and put it through the P plate and the hole in my number plate. Seems to be fairly tight.

Think the cop was just a decent guy in a decent mood, being polite and positive was probably the main reason I left without a fine.
  19. In that black part at the back I just used double sided tape to stick it down. Let's hope I can get it off when I change plates
  20. Use a length of dental floss, or thin fishing line, holding one end in each hand, slip the middle of the floss behind the plate, and use a sawing motion to cut through the double sided tape. Works like a charm, and then you can deal with the residue using your solvent of choice. Tea-tree or eucalyptus oil works well and is safe for almost all plastics and paints.
    • Like Like x 1