Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ever real crash

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by bulby, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Not really a near-miss, but thought I'd vent anyway.

Just had my first ever real-world crash (lowside). It was on the Palmers Rd ramp towards the freeway (city-bound). Entered the corner too fast, went a little wide and over a patch of gravel near the outside line and down I went.

The root cause? A combination of inattentiveness and overconfidence. Bad bulby. Bad.

Thankfully, I'm alright. Except my right knee is a bit sore and swollen. But I can still walk around and still have full range of movement, so most likely it'll just bruise real bad.

Wish I could say the same about the bike though. Right-side fairing is cracked and scratched pretty bad. Handlebar is slightly bent. Front brake feels... different. And there's a hole in the engine case cover. That round bit below the oil cap.

Anyhow, do I call the insurance folks first? Or get the bike to a mechanic first? :-k

2. Mate sorry to hear that..............live and learn is what I say every time, the important thing of course is living and coming out of it in one piece.

This is another timely reminder for people to slow down and take care..........with the warmer months coming, im sure the heros will be out in force. Last thing we want to see in this mad house family is for one of our guys to be badly injured.

Your bike seemed like its still repairable so hopefully you arent off your steed for too long.

3. Neither. Get yourself to a mechanic - err, sorry, Doctor - and get checked out. Particularly if there's any damage to a joint.

4. Yeh. Definitely learned my lesson there and most of all glad to be alive to learn the lesson :)

Good idea. Knee has been a bit stiff since all the adrenaline drained off. I'm looking for a "people mechanic" as we speak...err... type. :p

5. adrenaline is awesome for hiding injuries, i once crashed then got back on and kept racing then after a few minutes realised that my hand was broken lol. i couldnt work out for a while how come i couldnt hang on properly.

i'm sure you'll fix the bike up, few fairing bits, front brake lever and right handlebar and she'll be good as new.

6. Shit mate, I know that corner. Check yourself out, then contact insurance.

Good you know where you went wrong. You'll be very cautious on that corner now.

7. Sounds like the damage will be more than your excess so contact insurance.

8. Agreed, after doctor.

Fairing, handlebars and what sounds like fork damage could well be a write off.

Sorry to hear about the accident, don't get too worried though, but do learn from it. Try to treat it as a positive learning experience. Sounds like you have already identified a couple of mental mistakes, and it is relatively harmless mistakes like these (just a financial hit really) that teach rather than where it could be worse.

9. #9 bulby, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Forks and frame looked straight, according to my quick check after I got home. I'm mentally preparing myself for much worse though, since the ride home was kinda wiggly.

But then again, not sure if it was the bike or the rider =P

10. Worth getting a mechanic to check. Might not be bent at all, although I'd be somewhat surprised if the handlebars are bent and nothing on the forks.

Do get yourself checked out though, and as hard as it is, try not to worry about the crash or getting the bike fixed up too much just yet.

11. Very glad that you're ok, but sorry for the bike.

I'm impressed that you can be honest enough with yourself to face up to the truth of how it happened. It is extremely mportant that we be honest with ourselves. Without it we learn nothing.

Now a question for you...:)

Why/how is it, that you think you became overconfident?
    (that's a serious question...not having a go at you at all)

12. I love crashing :)
    Is it me or just a dirt bike thing ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Depending on whether the bike hit anything solid or not, there is a good possibility that the front end oddness is due to the forks having twisted in the yokes without actually bending anything. If so, the fix is quick and easy.

Personally, I'd probably fix it myself rather than have an at-fault crash on my insurance record but then I prefer my bikes to have the regulation crop of sc****s, cable ties and gaffer tape :twisted:.

Bloody swear filter.

14. I have a love/hate relationship with crashing.

I've been lucky enough to not have any major physical damage but it's been an expensive 2 and a bit years of riding for me.

There's something special about the adrenaline rush AFTER you stopped and checked all your bits are working.

The memory of the moment(s) I went down will stick forever. In hindsight, the sensations were kind of cool.

Mind you, I have walked away from all my 'little' incidents.

I still try to avoid crashing at all costs though!

My riding has gone backwards (well, I'm much more cautious) since my last crash (track day at PI). I'm not sure I'll ever get my mojo back. :( (hmmmm...there's another thread).

15. #15 bulby, Sep 27, 2011
    This one's kinda obvious. I was actually thinking "yeh I can take this", before going "oh shii too wide", "nah i'm gunna make it afterall" and finally "uh oh here comes the pain".

Recommended speed for the corner was 35km/h. I was going 70 (actual speed limit). Got cocky, thought I could do better than 35, and didn't wipe off enough speed. I'm pretty sure I was doing 50-55 in the corner. Ran a bit wide, but did clear the corner just by the outside line, except I didn't see there were gravels inside the lane just by the line. Was still leaning when I went over the gravels.

16. That might be the obvious bit, but what was it that made you think that you could take it? It may have been entirely possible for the corner to be taken at the speed you did (almost certain infact). In fact I propose that on another day you could have, and you may have taken similar corners at that speed.

Personally, I get caught out somewhat often because I know some roads and corners well. I can take them comfortably every time. However I go to roads I don't know, and *think I know the corner*. Constantly need to remind myself that what I see, and what reality is can differ, if that makes sense. You've identified a cause of the overconfidence etc, but I wonder if it is the fundamental cause :)

Some food for thought in there to think about...

Just a question, when you lowsided, did you have any brakes applied and how much, and which brake? Did you have any throttle applied and how much?

17. Sorry to hear you went down. That sucks.

I think you had it all going well until you found some gravel. Generally doubling the advisory is getting near the upper limit but shouldn't be over it. (As long as you get the line roughly right, and don't find something slippery.)

Get that knee looked at.

Notify the insurer. Ask them what they want to do. It may have actually been a good idea to ring them by the side of the road, advise them straight away. I'm not any sort of insurance expert, but I can imagine scenarios and situations where they may get very sus if you don't tell them until some time later, and you move the bike, and there's no police report, and there are no photos of the bike as it came to rest, no photos of the gravel, the skid marks on the road ...

18. Hmm... That's a good point. I take the corner every morning at 35km/h, give or take 5.

I had constant throttle and my toes on the pegs when this happened. As far as I can recall anyway. Engine braking may have occurred :-k

This might be a problem... I picked up the bike, had a few people stopped to asked if I was ok. And there was another rider on a BMW enduro (I think. Didn't get a proper look. Could've been a Yammy) who did some quick checks to make sure the bike's still safe enough to ride and also started it. But I didn't get anyone's contact as witness. And I just scrammed afterwards without taking pictures etc. But the dirt is still on my bike and gears... if that mean anything :oops:

And um... I've never made any insurance claim in my life. Ever. Does that make any difference as far as the insurer's concerned?

p.s. Forgot to include this in my original post. Thanks to everyone who stopped and helped or at checked that I was OK. You guys have restored my faith in humanity =D>

19. I've not made many myself, but for future reference, a set of phone camera pics showing the bike picked up and moved to a safe place, and (important) showing the white sc**** marks on the road, and the damn gravel, all would have helped. See, your line to the company is not going to be "I blew it - enterd too fast and lowsided." That doesn't look good. Your line is "I did what I always do, and near the exit of the corner the tyres suddenly and mysteriously lost grip, causing a loss of control and crash. When I went back and looked, it soon became obvious why I crashed. There was gravel on the road. Here's some pics of it"

20. #20 raven, Sep 27, 2011
    Mmm...ok...let me help it along a bit...maybe drill down a little deeper instead of accepting the obvious.
    You've said in a different thread that you always or usually go through there at the posted 35k speed advisory. This time, for some reason you thought you could gona little faster and figure that was around 50-55k. Perfectly acceptable speed btw. More or less, any bike should be easily capable of that, as was your bike, since you say that you had pretty much made it through.

That you failed to maintain your line, and went wide, is pointing at something.

I contend, and want you to disagree if I'm off the mark, that having made it through the corner umpteen times quite comfortably at the posted speed, this day you thought that you should be able to do it at a bit higher speed. (nothing wrong with that). The problem I suspect is that the higher speed, while not overwhelming for your skill, things happened at a faster pace, and that you failed to turn more quickly to match the higher tempo...this ran you a little wide, which would not normally be a problem, but you hadn't spotted the gravel and the bike went out from under you.

So you weren't too cocky.... You went a little faster but cornered at the same pace of actions as you are used to, so you didn't turn enough, early enough, and THAT is why you ran wide instead of maintaining your regular line.

That's one synopsis that fits quite well with your mishap...if you agree, then you have something specific and practical that you can tackle, instead of theories that really can't be addressed.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, say so, and provide some of your thoughts as to why.

I know it might look like I'm trying to pick on you, but that is way off my intentions....I'm simply shining a light on some of the types of thoughts that are likely to really help you.