Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ever peak hour ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by motorshock, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Wow, I just had my first ever ride in peak hour traffic, what a rush. The best thing was this morning my mentor rode with me acting like a shadow and it gave me a lot confidence and I left a little earlier this mornig before traffic picked up. This evening was a lot hard because of peak hour traffic, I felt bad because I was not going that fast and a lot of cars were overtaking me, one driver even gave me a thumbs down, when I gave him the bird. Anyways it was only my 9th time on a bike and the furthest I have ever gone.

2. Congratulations on the milestone. I have to say though, given how vulnerable we are on the road, do you really want to be adding insult to injury by flipping off the motorists you've just held up? It won't be long before they will be holding you up, but until then I'd say keep it humble and try not to give anybody a reason to merge on top of you. (They do it enough without provocation!)

3. Don't do that until you can wheelie safely out of danger.

4. Good work, you'll be smashing off mirrors in no time!

Keep up with it, you'll be fine.

5. I also went out in traffic for the first time in Sydney (city of d**khead drivers) and surprisingly I survived. I found people cutting in front close to me etc... but I guess that means I just had to keep my head switched on and continually scanning traffic conditions and spacing.

I wouldn't personally flip the bird as stated before. Sydney drivers generally treat any L plater with hostility or a freak from mars. Strangely they forget that at one point they were L platers too.

6. Why are you flipping off cagers? Its insulting and dangerous. You get nothing out of it other than a smug feeling and you don't know what they will do to you. People will chase you through traffic over the slightest thing, provoking them is idiotic.

7. Maybe it would be good to tell us what the driver actually did to warrant the use of the middle finger. Was it just because he overtook you?

8. **** em.. go as slow as you need/want to, no pressure, just chill.

9. We've all done it, especially when learning!

Mind you I haven't flipped anyone off in traffic for a good while, I find it more fun to twist the throttle.

10. Take it easy, you're a lot more vulnerable than they are.

11. Do a quick peak at the traffic head for any blue and red lights before you filter 8-[

12. Yea Sydney is just full of s**t drivers. However since getting my bike and commuting every day, it riles me so much less as I filter right through the peak hour nonsense and whoosh past stationary cages in the bus lane :biker:
    Just have to watch out for gaps that are too small (I've already got a cage's bent mirror on my scorecard :D)

13. was the original poster camelsalesman on 1 of his different accounts, mentor sounds like W.A? if so he got a few bites