Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First drop

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Damian, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Ah, I knew it had to happen.

Last night on a suburban Melbourne road. The rain was coming down and traffic was banked up. I thought I was ok, but in hindsight, I was probably tired.

The lights turned red. The cars stopped. I started to stop. Got it down to 20k/hr. Then the front wheel went from under me. And I found myself looking up at the towbar of the car in front.

Thankfully I'd missed and the bike only had some minor scratches.

My mistake - I was too close and hadn't accounted for the wet. And my squeeze on the front brake was probably too hard. By the stage it happened I'd travelled 30k's so my mind must been wandering too.

Anyhoo, my first down. Bit of a sore knee. But all is good.

Cheers,
    Damian.

2. The damage is minimal to both yourself and the bike, subtract from your luck bag and add to your experience bag. *

* Probably the best saying I've come across since riding, apologies if I don't get it right

3. Sorry to hear about the low speed drop....

Good to hear that you didn't do too much damage and you learned from your mistakes. We all stuff up, I've done similar and you'll probably find a whole host of people with stories like yours.

Good luck with your riding and for God's sake sell the bloody hyo and get a proper bike! :p

4. So when I come off my restrictions what cruiser am I buying instead of a Hyo?

5. If you don't have any brand loyalty, you've got a truck load of choices. Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, Suzuki and so on.

6. Glad you escaped with nothing serious. I assume you had good protective gear on?

M

7. Ah, yes, all the risks increase in the wet, not the least of which is running into a patch of oil spilled on the road and not washed off till it rains!

You already know that answers, so I'm not going to lecture; get back on it and enjoy :).

8. Glad you're alright.

I dropped my bike after a couple of months of buying it (new) due to a mechanical failure. Basically the bike was stalling, I had no idea wht the problem was and was sitting on it and trying to start it. All of a sudden it started and I didn't have a firm grip on the damn thing and it went for a ride by itself. Damn bike shop I bought it from fixed the front suspension that got totally F#$%^&. I then picked up the bike and thanked them as they said the carbi was blocked (although it was a new bike) and that caused the power surge. Well that may have been the case but the bike still stalled. Finally I figured out the kick stand was slipping and working as a kill switch. When they tried to get it off they broke the plating around it...they still haven't fixed that but douubt they will. anyways I digress ( sorry for the rant lol )

9. When I first bought the bike, my wife said "Don't skimp on the gear, the bike will be fun, but I'm keen to keep you in one piece too".

So I had a Shift leather jacket, DriRider pants, boots, gloves and helmet. No damage to any of the equipment. Just the occupant :)

Cheers all for the feedback and concern. Looking forward to getting back on the beast early next week.

Damian.

10. damn i hate riding in the rain. had a few fish tails already...

glad that ur ok

11. Glad to hear you come away with minimal injuries.
    My guess is you hit an oily patch. Were you in the centre of the lane? If so, get into the habit of avoiding that area when approaching intersections.
    Cars usually take a little leak before heading off at intersections :LOL:
    +1 Four40 aV1y_a49.

12. Did you use any rear brake?

13. Hi again,

I was just to the centre of the lane, trying to ride in the left wheel track that the cars had pumped dry. I did use some read brake although it was largely useless.

The facts: I didn't leave enough room in the wet. Was a good object lesson for me.

Damian.

14. Bugger, dented egos take the most to mend.

Your ok, thats the main thing, bikes can be fixed / replaced

15. The good thing is that you realise what went wrong. I like the comment about the "bag of experinece" and it is true. Imporant thing is to learn from your mistake. Happy and safe riding