Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First drop, in slow u-turn

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by maular, Jul 30, 2009.

1. I got my first bike last weekend (GS500), so have been bombing around local streets in the evenings, getting comfortable. Last night I was doing some u-turns, including some on a slopes (up and downhill).

Doing an uphill one, halfway in (facing across the street), had a little wobble so put the right foot out, then half a second later a little brake to slow down. Front brake of course (right leg was out), and very quickly realised a bit too much of it. :(

Anyway, I feel like a goose. The bike is ok - its first owner was actually a training school so it has a few marks all over. I just added a dint in the tank, and in my pride.

So I think I might stick to maneuvers on the flat until I'm sure of not wobbling. Any other suggestions?

2. Most important thing is... Did anybody see you do it? :LOL:
  3. Don't be too reliant on the front brake doing slow speed stuff.
  4. Haha, no I got away with it :p

Not4Resale - I agree. That's why I think I'll keep it simpler until I'm confident my foot will be on the pedal in the slow bits, not out on the ground!
  5. Sorry to hear maular but don't let this deter you from performing these important manoeuvres. With time you'll be able to do U-Turns anywhere, and this event will be the catalyst to an improved riding career for you.
    Great bike to 'learn' on, the GS500. Have fun mate !
  6. Your problem has been a two pronged one.

You clearly needed throttle and clutch, not brake when you fell. YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASSESSED at your licensing exam for competency at slow speed maneuvering such as this. If you weren't comfortable, you should have asked for extra pointers.

And TWo, YOU PANICKED. Panic is the accurate response killer. Sure, you might be afraid, but you can harness fear. Panic will see you NOT perform the correct procedure and could end up with serious injury for you or someone else unless you get it sorted immediately.

Consider extra paid training essential. YOu won't be safe on the road without it if you can't do a U-turn once you already have your license.

As you have now discovered
  7. Great bike?? heavy, lacking power and clumsy to maneuver?? Sure, great bike to learn on....
  8. Don't worry about it too much, it's your 1st week on the road and you are at least out there trying to improve, nobody starts out perfect, chalk it up to experience and continue finding quiet places to practice and pretty soon it will come easilly and naturally, welcome to the riding world :grin:
  9. bad luck buddy, no audience is good.

I dropped mine right next to Parramatta mall while reversing my bike into a slot between a car and a kerb.
    I was reversing it slightly uphill so I decided to do a little runup only to miss the slot and hit the kerb, completely losing my balance. Pinpoint precision it was not.
    I picked the bike up off the ground so farking quick that it didn't give the countless of people watching any time to offer help. Helmets are awesome.:)

edit: oh and I ended up parking a mile away.
  10. Oh ffs he's been riding a week! He was doing U-turns on a hill and buggered it up. That doesn't mean he's unfit to ride on the road.

We were all fresh once, i'd say all this guy needs is some more practice and finding a riding buddy with some experience can aid him aswell. He can worry about the paid tutoring when he gets some proficiency.

I don't believe people should throw money down a well everytime they stuff up. That's certainly a deep well to fill.
  11. Pretty much everyone drops their bike at the start! Just before my bike test over here I parked a CB400 alongside a curb and went to put my foot down onto the curb but missed. Foot slipped and caved and bike fellover trapping my ankle between frame and curb. Lucky I was wearing boots! Instructor had to lift the bike off me, was literally pinned :evil:

12. I did the same; dropped my new GS500 in a car park practicing U-turns a couple of months back. And I did it on the flat. But nobody saw me, hence I now keep it to myself and pretend that it was all a dream.

Don't worry; keep practicing.
  13. Yeah i stacked it a few days ago, some old lady in a bmw in front failed to signal for a uturn, i was on a hill, and applied my breaks, but too much rear break, the back locked up and slid out. i was almost stationary so when it fell it didnt slide.

it sucks. but its why u buy a cheap first bike, to learn on!!!
  14. Great bike mate!

Try doing this sort of manouver with the rear brake and not the front. Practice in a straight line riding very slowly through controlling speed with the rear, then do some rolling side to side in some way. Front brake at slow speed is a great combination for dropping the bike, when you're new to it. After a while with skills learnt simply by riding, you'll find half a dozen different informal techniques for pulling such manouvers....

If you're gonna practice stuff (I never did*, and not so much as a drop in ten years of lots of riding) then maybe don't push it too hard - people get hung up on the idea of practice and get themselves into spills doing it!

(*well, except for buying a manual bike in teh CBD and not knowing how to ride one - teh ride home was fun practice! :LOL:)
  15. Name me an assessment centre that examines newbie riders on their inclined u-turns.
  16. Yeah +1. One week after getting first bike = safe to assume he is only on his L's. Taught slow speed stuff yes, in a straight line and easy bends etc, but not damn u-turns!

Glad to hear you are all good and the bike took it well. Welcome to the world of bikes! Oh also someone please correct me if i am wrong so that i learn something, but slow moving etc should use the back brake not the front or at least while learning.
  17. [​IMG]
    I'm at pretty much the same stage.

Though I'm confident and competent in traffic, I need to build up some skills/confidence (don't look down!) in low-speed tight u-turns, counter-leaning & e-braking.

I've set some time aside tomorrow to practice unobserved on the flat. Best of luck to ya! :)
  18. I made that mistake with him yesterday :roll:

I'm on the cusp of buying a sidecar - soon I'll be a Learner again too! (Having done some reading on teh challenges, I'm feeling all those learner nerves! :oops:)
  19. Yeh mate you're right there. I don't like brakes very much at all but when the bikes not completely upright the front brake can cause problems. Especially under hard braking.

I don't think you should be second guessing your riding though, you are among the better new riders that i've seen. If you want to improve more i'd suggest going to either an intermediate or advanced course depending on where you gauge your abilities and what you feel like learning. If you want a rehash of the P's but in much more realistic scenarios do the intermediate, if you want to hoon around a track and build some skills that will put your skill level well above the middle of the road rider do an advanced course.

Or.... do both! :grin: