Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First decent ride :( not the best outcome

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by bagz, Apr 3, 2015.

1. So went for a ride following my gf in her car to Waburton from Murrembeena, enjoying it immensely until at the set of lights at the B380 turn off the maroondah highway the guy behind me gets a bit to keen and runs up my ass with his bull bar, luckily it was only a semi small nudge (gave me a decent jerk) and i kept the bike up and pulled over, doesn't seem to be any damage but i have his details and took photos of the incident. kind of a buzz kill to the day but was still enjoyable.

on a side note, what should i look at to make sure everything to do with the back wheel is okay (brand new CB500F, only done 1400km's)?

(sorry if this is in the wrong place)
  2. Id be contacting your insurance and be taking it straight to the dealer and having it assessed.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Tried contacting them today but being good friday there was no one working to assist me
  4. ring tomorrow
  5. Not open till tuesday, long weekend down the drain
  6. Sorry to hear that mate, what a bummer.

Reflecting on the issue as it happened, was there anything you could have done to avoid this happening?

Not saying it wasn't the other guy's fault, just that riders need to always think this way as regardless of anyone's fault the rider comes off worse.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. The only thing i could have done was take off a little quicker, but the car infront was a little eradic so i didnt want to be to close.

What im taking from it is to pay more attention to the deivers behind me at sets of lights and try take off that little bit faster to avoid this happening again.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bagzbagz - Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you can't always be 100% prepared for every situation.

In this instance the 'what could you have done to minimise this' action may have been to slowly filter to the front of the traffic and off to the side a tad. That way you're at the front of the traffic and hopefully over to the side enough to minimise being collected if someone should run into the back of the car behind & to the side of you.

As for the bike, i would agree with JeffcoJeffco that you should have it both reported and inspected for your own piece of mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Good call. When you are more confident, filter up to the front, and get into first gear, ready to go. Watch the lights closely so you are ready to go, anticipating when your light is about to go green, and get out in front of the traffic.

If you are at the back of the line at the lights, give yourself a bit of room between you and the next car, again, get into 1st gear, and keep an eye on traffic, 360 degrees around you.
  10. In NSW it is (whhhhhy?) illegal for noobs and poobs to filter to the front but in heavy traffic I nearly always do it now.
    Not to be a smart arse or to thumb the law but for what I strongly see as being for personal safety reasons. Happy to argue it in court as well! :) i have found as long as traffic is completely stopped that the police who have, accidentally on my part seen me filter, haven't (as yet I know I know :) ) ever seemed bothered by me doing it. :D

The number of times that I see cagers watching the lights instead of the road when not even at the front of the traffic, or texting away whilst their cage slowly rolls forward, or pivoting around playing lucky dips with the crap on their back seat etc. honestly, I so don't want to be in their lane or remotely near them!

I keep a real close scan on what happens behind/ around me now (didn't used to when I first started riding) and try to position myself in the lane so I can get up the in side of the lane/ away if there is a major fcukwit alert...otherwise I creep up closer to the front or to the very front and really move it once the lights change ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Definitely get the bike checked, mate.

Filtering becomes legal in September, so all the good advice above will be applicable legally to us, here in the Nanny State.
  12. Glad you are ok bagzbagz As others have said get the bike checked to make sure the rear wheel is still true and undamaged and that no frame damage has resulted.

You did well to leave space to the vehicle in front, space and escape routes are the key there. Stay in gear watch your mirrors and be ready to use an escape path if necessary.

To those advocating pulling to the side of the lane I would say maybe, but consider the following point. You may be placing your self in the A pillar blind spot of the car behind you. By the time they have finished yelling at the kids in the back seat, fiddling with the CD player and talking to Joyce on the phone they may have forgotten you are there. There is a term "Own your Lane" if you leave space then a car may dart into that spot leaving you stranded in a dangerous road position.

No single rule fits all situations with lane positioning.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Just be careful taking off as soon as the lights turn green. Cars running amber/red lights have taken out riders and drivers rushing to take off as soon as the lights change.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Weren't you following your GF? That's OK I wouldn't want to ride anywhere near mine either.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  15. Thanks for all your replies guys, just got the bike all checked out and no damage :). And yeah you would be correct smileedude, never said she was a good driver.