Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First day with new bike, must have stalled 8 times!!! Argh!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by hongyi77, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been riding a 150cc scooter and was getting pretty good and used to riding on road, traffic, longer rides etc. Went for motorbike licence on the weekend and just HAD to changeover to a motorbike to start practising what I have learnt.

I got a 2004 VTR250 (piccies in the My Ride thread!) and feel in control when I sit on it. Had to ride it from dealership to work when I got it in the morning and it was a harrowing experience! The riding position is sportier than those old CB250s we had at Qride! And the pressure not to drop it too! Where the footpegs are, rear brake and gear lever suddenly feel so alien to me and I think I rode most of the way in first gear! ](*,)

Because the exhaust is also louder, I seem to be afraid of revving it too much and I am SUPER NOT CONFIDENT when starting from stop, maybe just getting to know the bike?? I was turning right (with traffic signals) and must have missed at least 4 change of lights 8-[ because I kept stalling :( I was trying not to rev so much and thought my throttle control is good. I do have problem with working the clutch because I have come from a scooter.

Just seem like day one of riding on the scooter, everything is so scary. I know the day will come when I get used to the bike, meanwhile, I better plan some practise with a friend who is even newer to riding than me!

Other than that, the bike looks and feels super cool. The sound of the exhaust brings a smile to my face :)
  2. Scooter - not bike.
  3. #3 hongyi77, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I traded in my scooter today for a bike. Scooters don't stall cos they are not a manual bike!

4. From a fellow noobie. Go round your local blocks for a while. Practice starting and stoping and simple turns to get used to your gear changing and clutch. There are great threads on these forums to help guide you.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. You'll get there. Don't be afraid to rev it a bit when you're SLOWLY letting out the clutch. VTRs are tough, and you're not going to hurt the clutch or anything. You'll soon get used to the friction point where the clutch grabs. I have the same problem at the moment b/c my upgrade Z1000 has much less free clutch lever travel compared to my VTR.

Try and do some riding around some quiet streets. Practise stopping and starting, and try not to ride too far in 1st b/c the VTR is very torquey and can be jerky until you've got better throttle control. Once you've got the clutch going, try some hill starts with your foot on the rear brake.

Keep practising.

I tried riding a scooter at my first familiarisation lesson - I couldn't get the damn thing to turn LOL.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. as said in the other post showing off your new bike, i apologise...i literally read the first half a line..shook my head and blah blah blah

dont stress about revving the thing too hard (permitting your not redlining it non-stop) the old 250's can take a beating...they thrive off it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. #7 hongyi77, Jul 18, 2012
    Hehehe, I took mine everywhere, mountain roads etc, try staying on when in full lean! It is harder on a scooter to balance. I have seen photos of people racing scooters with their knee down. I found my lean limit when I hit the centre stand, after a day on the twisties :p

8. Ha ha ha I can se myself stalling the bike today when I take it for a test driva at the dealer.
  9. Only 8 times? You're doing fine. I bought a new (bigger) bike recently after a couple of years of riding without stalling. Stalled it straight away, out the front of the dealers. No problems now, but it felt and sounded different from my last bike.

Get used to feeling the friction point of the clutch.
    Remember it is supposed to sound louder than the scooter, and it revs higher than a car. Don't be scared to rev it.

Don't worry, you'll get it soon enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Have you been to Saturday morning practice?
  11. This.

I too was afraid of revving the bike when I first got on mine. You will get use to the fact that bikes like being revved.
  12. fellow VTR owner here,

start out somewhere flat so you dont need your brake on to stay stationary,

then walk the bike by only letting out you clutch, (no throttle), get used to the friction point as stated above.

i also found that it was easier for me after i adjusted the clutch cable so that the friction point started at about 1/2 way through the full clutch movement (i hope this is clear enough)

its all practice, dont worry about to many revs, but i first learnt by concerntrating on only the clutch @ enough revs so the engine wouldnt stall, (i got a 2001 vtr so no tacho).

good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dont know if brisvegas has a 'prac session' as does sunny melb n sydney, either way, WE ALL have been where you are, slowly does it, practise is all it takes, and we continue to do so to improve, so relax and enjoy the ride :)
    Use quiet streets till you get confident, same process when you learner on your scooter. Controls will be easier to locate and react to once you've used the brake/clutch/acellerator a few hundred times, [couple of days], dont worry about revving the engine, when you get confident, and doing 100kmh down freeway and you 'get brave' and see how many RPM's your engine is doing, you will wonder what you worried for, they are desgined to take it, so give it to it in a 'controlled and sensible' manner.
    Good luck, there are heaps of threads on here to make your riding safer, read as much as you can.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. yep, as has been stated repeatedly, you are not alone there. Most people start out the same way. Chin up, keep practising, soon you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ^^ This.

My VTR does around 7000rpm at 100kph. The little bit more than idle you're going to do to get the thing rolling isn't even a blip on the radar.
  16. #16 hongyi77, Jul 18, 2012
    Hi Jay77,

Where is the training session? Me and another friend are keen for this Saturday if the is on :)

17. Hi
    My bad
    I assumed you was in Melbourne
    I have no idea if they have any in Qld
    :( sorry
  18. #18 hongyi77, Jul 18, 2012
    We are going to start our own Queensland one then hehehe, although it is only 2 noobs at the moment :p

19. Couple of things that have worked for others, may work for you, may not:

1) Ear plugs. Should be used anyway to preserve your hearing. These attenuate rather than remove the noise - ie, you can still hear everything, its just at a level where you can process it, rather than things screaming at you. This may reduce the feeling that the engine is screaming at you.

2) Practice walking pace riding to train your hands to find the friction point on the clutch, and the needed rev range with the throttle. In first gear, using the rear brake, clutch and throttle to ride the bike at walking pace. Ie, the revs stay reasonably constant, and you open and close (ie slip) the clutch by small amounts to get just the amount of speed you need. A small amount of rear brake can also be used smooth things out. Most important, keep looking up and ahead at where you want to go. Dont look at the ground!

You should be able to get down to below walking pace, without the engine stalling, by slipping the clutch.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. If I can be of any help I'd be happy to catch up sometime this Saturday. Having done heaps of kilometres on scooters as well I can empathise with your problem! Centrifugal clutches make it so much easier. But you'll get the hang of the clutch, and matching the engine revs.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.