Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Cut-off

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Popollo, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Been riding 6 months to work and back 4 times a week and just had my first close call on the M2. It was a strangely calm event though as I saw it coming and had plenty of room to move. It seemed better to just roll on past than to stop.

2. Could see that coming as soon as I clicked play.

3. Good footage. Not that it's your fault but she might have seen you in her mirrors if you were in the left wheel track.
    If that's the worst you've had in 6months, you're doing alright.

4. Yeah I didn't think I actually hit her blind spot at all until after she already started moving over. I must have been in the "I can't be bothered looking spot". I try to stay in the right wheel track (when in the right lane) just for cases like that and have to stay further right than normal because of a constant cut in the road just right of centre. Despite the horn...she even seemed clueless I was even there until I was almost past her. I should have waved but that would have just been weird for her.I mostly expect close calls in the morning as I take slow roads then. Yep that was my closest call in 6 months.

5. What camera are you using? cheers

6. Lucky it didn't happen a little further back, you could have been pinned a little close to the barrier on the outside there. At least you had an escape plan.

7. Nice Camera

What I don't like is that even after sounding a warning to the driver of the car on your horn they continued to come across into your lane rather than move back into their own

it seems to me that they actually looked at you when you sounded the horn but decided to ignore the warning totally

most decent people would abort the lane changing manoeuvre in this situation

8. :rofl:

You're forgetting most drivers have the attention span (and intelligence) of a goldfish. I've never had a car move back into its original lane, at best all they do is sit stupidly across both lanes whilst their brain tries to process what is going on. The rest will simply assume that because you've seen them that you'll kindly get the f*&k out of their way and let them finish changing lanes - and have the decency not to suddenly appear out of nowhere and frighten them again.

9.  Top
  10. It is a GoPro on the side of my helmet with the skeleton backdoor. Yeah I was also glad it happened just after I got clear of the construction.

11. Haha this is such a text book 'near SMIDSY'. If anyone ever asks what its like being a biker dealing with wankers on the road Ill show them this video

12. It is a text book example, but I would personally use it as an example of poor decision making by a rider.

13. Which part was poor decision making? I wasn't following in a blind spot for a long period of time and was simply overtaking in the fast lane like anyone would be. Had I been in a car I would have still had to swerve to the right or brake. Being on a bike gives other options so I went around rather than hit the brakes and risk getting rear ended. I feel if I continuously ride in the left wheel track I'll get taken out much more easily as there is not a lot of buffer space to react. Seeing as though a car takes up a whole lane...being in the left or right track shouldn't affect visibility that much.

14. I think, in my opinion anyway, that the 'overtaking' procedure might be a tad too long. I got uncomfortable just watching the footage, getting that tingling feeling that what i'm seeing is a dangerous spot to be in. I would've shot ahead quickly if i was overtaking or dropped back a little and in the left track where the cage could see me in their mirror (provided the even check!)

Try and minimise the overtake time as you cannot trust a cager to be fully functional.

That said, that biatch didn't even look/react/care. Glad you were on your toes.

15. I agree with you on left vs right wheel tracks when passing, however there are more experienced riders than me who will disagree. You can also approach in the left track and move to the right when passing etc for more visibility. That's not really the poor decision making I was referring to, anyway.

You are approaching/near a semi-trailer with traffic behind it on a freeway. I would always make my way through on the assumption that the vehicle behind the truck is looking to change lanes and will do so as soon as there is a gap. And that is exactly what happened. Based on that, regardless of how you choose to position yourself leading up to it, when you are actually passing I would personally pass fast and wide.

And if you do get cut off, don't waste time getting all indignant. Just move on.

16. Fair enough. I understand about the semi trailer. She hadn't gotten up the trailer's rear end yet so she moved over a bit earlier than expected. As it is a highway and the right lane is always passing full time...kinda hard to be in the left track when not passing because I am constantly passing so I just stay wide full time. I wasn't using my horn to be indignant...actually hate horns. I just wanted to let her know I was there is all....didn't do too well. Re-watching the thing does make it appear I was upset though. It was more of a "shaking my head moment" than anything.

17. I'll disagree :D. When over taking you're better off sticking to the left wheel track on your approach to be viable in the drivers rear and side mirrors.

When you're actually passing you can move over a bit.
    It counter intuitive to ride closer to cars but you'll be much more visible to those who don't bother to head check and being on a bike, you can still get out of trouble quickly.

I agree with Deadsy that you can spot this happening at the start of the clip. The blue 4x4 is progressively catching up to the truck but can't over take till the other 4x4 has passed. It's fairly obvious she's waiting for room to over take, and as soon as there is room (in her mind) she does.

Anticipate what others are doing and assume they can't see you.
    Having said that, you must be doing something right if this is your first.

• Like Like x 1
  18. was hardly a close call.. as soon as the car started indicated i would have breaked to slow down and let them in or accelerated fast round them, not just cruise past looking at them with the horn on

19. Either way though the 4WD driver was in the wrong - you need to always shoulder check. And if someone beeps you cancel the manoeuvre!

20. You're missing the point... It's better to try to read the traffic and anticipate these events and stay alive. What good is it that the other guy is in the wrong when you're laying on the road injured, or worse.

As gsxrjames said, anticipate what others are doing and assume they can't see you.

• Like Like x 1