Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Crash...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Miraz, Dec 3, 2010.

1. I came off the bike last night on New South Head Rd, I ran over a coiled length of electrical flex just as I was counter steering into a right hand bend.

I felt little jolt as the bike was tipping into the corner, then the front wheel just kept slipping away and went down onto the right side.

Hit the road on the point of my right shoulder, then rolled onto my right knee and forearm as I slid down the road before putting my hands down and using the remaining momentum to get back on my feet and off the road.

The bike spun down the road and came to rest on the footpath with remarkably little damage - ding in the tank from the handlebars, Bent front brake lever, scratched fairing, broken right foot peg, cracked stator cover and scratched top box - but was ok to ride home after checking it over.

I got away completely unmarked, all the gear did it's thing in excess of my expectations. The armour in the Motoport gear I was wearing is awesome stuff, I'd go so far as to describe the impact with the road at 60+km/h as comfortable!

Could I have done something different to prevent the crash?

- The flex was difficult to see even when I walked back to work out to what had caused the crash - orange flex on rough concrete road under orange street lighting, not sure I could have seen it before I hit it, although my attention was on other traffic rather than the road surface at the time.

2. Good to hear you're OK!
  3. Ouch, glad you and the ride pulled up ok after that.

As a learner, I am worried about always looking ahead and through corners etc as I'm not watching the road surface. I can imagine something like the flex was hard to see as you weren't even looking for it.

Hope someone has some answers on how to keep your eyes on a million things at one time!
  4. Hi Mate,
    Sorry to hear about it and great that you're OK. Good that you were calm enough to inspect the cause of the off. I'm sure others will have contributions to make as to avoidance but I can't think of any. Terrific that your gear held up so well.

Hope to see you out and about soon.

5. Hey mate

Sorry to hear about the rash. Glad the modded GS500 pulled through without major damage.
  6. The main thing is that your well!!!!!!!!

Im sure that at 60k things could have turned much much worse and from the looks of things there was very litle you could have done to avoid it.
  7. It's the Same with decent sized tree branches. When you on any kind lean when the front wheel hits them they will tend to role and take the front wheel with them...right out from under you sometimes.

The electric chord is probably worse, so a crash could easily be the result.

The fact that you didn't see it is no fault of yours, so don't beat yourself up.
    Some accidents, really are accidents - unforeseeable events over which we have little control.

Just be happy that you are fundamentally unscathed, and ok.
  8. Yes.... Stayed at home. Thats pretty much the advise I got after my first accident. If it is going to happen (and it will) its going to happen. Mine was a lot slower than yours and like you walked away with little more than bruised pride (unlike the dork that pulled out in front of me).

As I went down I started repeating to my self "This is going to hurt...This is going to hurt" but half way down I started thinking "New bike.... New bike....New bike" Unfortuneately not enough damage.

Anyway Glad you are ok.
  9. Glad your ok. Sometimes things just happen and thats when you go I'm glad I decided to put the proper bike gear on this morning.

"New bike. . . New bike . . . .New bike" hahahahaha can relate to that, funny how we think sometimes :0)
  10. Eugh, and just after you had the bike not going for ages!?

REALLY glad you're okay, and I bet wife and bubs are too :)

PICS of bike... please?
  11. Miraz,
    Good to hear you're ok buddy. Time to reflect (perfect timing with Christmas around the corner) and take things from here.
    Hope you're back on 2 wheels smoothly & promptly.
  12. I'll stick up pics of the bike and gear over the weekend....my thought process on the way down was a little different...until my leg was on the ground I was trying to ride out of it, then it switched to "this should be hurting more than it does", closely followed by "what's happening to the vehicles that were following me...."

I'm grateful that the outcome wasn't any worse than it was...
  13. Geoff,

not nice but good you're fine and the bike is easy to fix. You've got mutiple things to scan over to detect anything that might be a risk but sometimes you'd have to stare hard at something to see it.

Not an easy time to resched the baton run in the lead up to Christmas though.

14. Sounds like you handled it - and you are handling it - really well Miraz.

There's always going to be rubbish on the road that will appear at short notice. Sometimes you can get around it, often you can get away with running over it (as I have) ... and sometimes the inevitable happens. Not your fault, but wouldn't you love to find the owner of that electrical flex and "give it back to them"?

That's a great endorsement for your gear by the way - I will keep an eye out for Motoport next time I'm looking for some additional road gear.

All the best,
  15. Here are the pics of the Gear...

Right Pant Leg came off worst..only the outer shell was damaged
    Close up of Damage
    4 layer Armour which covers shin, knee, thigh, hips and tailbone

The mesh material used on the jacket seems to be a lot tougher than the stretch material used for the pants - the straps and other things attached to the outside of the forearm were ground off, but the base kevlar mesh was fine...just feels a little softer where it was dragged along the road. You can see where the mesh has worn through the Scotchlite reflective strip. Same Armour system covers upper and lower arm, shoulder, chest and back.