Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First crash, NR saved me!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by slygrog, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

Was just involved in my first accident, and came out totally unscathed (except for a sore leg and small tear in my wet weather pants) thanks to the information and advice I found here on Netrider.

Pretty basic accident (dude pulled out from a side street into the path of the car in front of me, without warning) but thanks to my lane position and understanding of front brake/back brake/slippery surface/stopping distance/speed dynamics I was able to shave off a bunch of speed and managed* a low side reasonably* safely (unfortunately the accident happened over a wet crossing, and though I was positioned far enough back and to the right to be fine under normal circumstances, the guy had a trailer which skidded into my path).

Police attended the scene because my bike wouldn't start and told me I had some sort of guardian angel. I do - you guys! Thanks for the great intel everyone makes available here.

Now I just have to figure out how to handle towing and insurance stuff.

<3 Meg :angel:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Good to hear you've come out ok. Are you insured? If you are, a phone call should start the ball rolling for you.

Not sure of the advisability of the deliberate lowside, but I'll let other more experienced riders take that on if they're so inclined.
  3. I am insured, thankfully.

Yeah, there may have been other options but at that exact moment all I could see was a trailer/ute blocking the whole lane, and a long line of oncoming traffic moving at 60km an hour one behind the other. So instead of hitting something head first and flying through the air or chancing a swerve into someone's bonnet I just went with a slow slide. :D

Ultimately I need to figure out if there was anything else I could have done. There always is, right? The problem with this situation was I'd seen the van and made adjustments to speed and positioning to accommodate it, but he didn't pull out in front of the guy ahead until that guy was level with him! I had a 4 - 5 second gap between us but it still wasn't enough in the rain and with that crossing, so maybe that's the thing I would change next time. But then again, I was already going 40 in a 60 zone and buffering and leaving huge gaps, so I don't know if a bigger one is 'realistic'. Hum, too spaced out to figure it now anyway.

4. As Greydog suggested if you are insured ring them, how much damage to the bike?

I won't comment too much on the deliberate lowside because I wasn't there. Just to say that deliberately falling off a bike is generally an undesirable thing to do. But, as I say I wasn't there and you may have ended up with no other option or it was the least worst option (if you know what I mean).

Have you learned anything?
  5. Welcome to riding, now you are a real rider, never forget learning the craft
  6. I should clarify that deliberate is a STRONG word, it is too calculated to describe what happened. It was more an understanding followed by a choice! I essentially knew a low side would happen but I also knew that I had to turn away from certain parts of the ute/trailer (had an intense bar very low to the ground, connecting ute to trailer and that was one of the things I didn't want to hit, for example) and I knew had to apply a bit of brake and I knew that a few of the other exit routes I would usually have planned were not available due to the spread of traffic/pedestrians/etc, so I anticipated a low slide as the most likely outcome of my chosen stopping process and I also knew it was probably going to be the least painful outcome of all those available. If that makes sense.

I think I learned I need more than one escape route, I think? And I need to anticipate a stronger type of CRAZY behaviour (like waiting at an intersection for 30 seconds while the road is clear and then pulling out in front of a car when it reaches you). I knew something was up with the van, which is why I started dropping my speed as soon as I saw it hovering there - I was at ~20km when I actually got into a danger zone. What I needed to do was anticipate the trailer spinning out to block the whole lane, as I would otherwise have pulled up to a stop beside all the madness. I think.
  7. I got 200 exp points today! 400 'til next level up. :D
  8. The low side, as I said I wasn't there and won't be harsh on you, just saying it's generally not an ideal thing to do, which I know you already knew.

+1 to having more than one escape route or strategy (although not always possible). +1 to trailers not necessarily following the exact line of the vehicle towing it, in fact I count on the trailer getting sideways. Trailers can also come adrift, now that's scary.
  9. Oh I know no one was being harsh! Just read back on it and sounded like I was all 'so I did a casual manoeuvre with a backslide and basically I work for Red Bull in the stunt department now'. :D

That's what the police said! They were freaking out about what would have happened if the trailer had spun out into the oncoming traffic. DEATH AND DESTRUCTION.

Everything pretty much went as well as possible for everyone involved, and they were all very helpful with getting my bike off the road and stuff. Overall a very gentle experience, given the circumstances.
  10. You still crashed though so I don't know if thanking netrider for it is a great idea
  11. Ha, if it were not for Netrider and the books I was recommended here, I would have been far closer to the guy in front, probably wouldn't have seen the van as early as I did and grabbed the front brake at the first sign of trouble - I had to learn not to do all of that stuff here, and I am thankful for it. :D
    • Like Like x 2
  12. stuff what everybody else said all that matters is the fact you saw your chance to survive and you toke it now sure there a shit load you could do to stop it happening again but then the next crash you have will be different again

what I'm trying to get at is that no 2 crash's are the same so while you will be able to avoid this crash next time the chance of it happening the same way again is very very unlikely
  13. Yeh, don't be surprised if that guardian angel is in the form of a mailout - a fine from vicpolice for 'failing to maintain control' of the motorcycle. Very suspicious with how quickly they turn up after I have helped a couple of people come off on the spurs now.
  14. I'm not being ticketed. :)
  15. Riding out of it completely unscathed would've been perfect, but I think you already know that. It's what we all want to be able to do in every situation, but sometimes the skills run out and a crash happens.

In this case, it sounds like the crash you ended up having was a lot less nasty than it could've been thanks in no small part to what you've learnt from netrider, and that's great. You could've just locked up the brakes and plowed into the mess, but you didn't... you assessed everything as best you could, tried everything you knew, and when it failed, you did everything you could to minimise the damage.

And after all that, instead of patting yourself on the back for a job well done, you're still looking critically at everything that happened and thinking about what you could've done differently.

Anyone who gives you a hard time for that needs a kick up the backside.

EDIT: The ONLY fault I can really find is the title "First crash" - make it your last :)
  16. You seem so happy that you crashed lol.

Would you be able to claim on the other cars insurance? or was there no contact?

Hows the bike looking?

Glad your ok (y)
  17. It is nearly always better to hit something on your wheels, if that results in flying through the air then that is the best of a bad situation.

The reason for this is that tyres have a greater power to stop you than your sliding gear has to stop you. Whatever speed you hit the object on your wheels is going to be less than hitting that solid object whilst tumbling. You also get the benefit of having some of the deaccelaration being taken by your forks (which you won't have if you are sliding).

If you stop sliding short of the obstacle sliding you would have stopped short on your wheels.

The only exception to this maybe is where you are heading for a guard rail and that would put you over the rail over a cliff.

But no one is perfect and I am not criticising, take the crash as a learning exercise and you might make it next time.

What else do you think that you could have done to avoid the accident, did you see the threat of the vehicle turning in front of the driver in front before he did it? If not have a think about how you can improve scanning to include that.
  18. This thread made me chuckle...glad your ok and hope there's no issues with the insurance
  19. I like your riding gear in your avatar but I think those gloves are your problem :)

Good luck
  20. Might I suggest more wet weather e-braking practice?

That's not having a go BTW. I have no idea how hard you were braking or how much grip your tyres could offer. However, you should be aware of both, because if you weren't braking to the edge of lock-up, you would have had more deceleration available which would have lowered the impact speed still further and might have allowed you to avoid contact altogether.

I do recognise that hard braking on a wet surface can be quite scary. That's why it should be repeatedly practised. I freely admit that I'm nowhere near as good at it as I should be. My excuse is that I grew up with crappy (as in nothing at first and then sudden lock-up when the water clears off the disc) brakes and awful, cheap tyres so wet e-braking requires me to override quite a few firmly ingrained habits :shock:.

That said though, well done for avoiding a worse crash and well done for reflecting on how you might avoid the same situation occurring again. Looking at the bigger picture in that way stands you in good stead for the future.