Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC First Crash. Advice on aftermath [moved to legal and insurance]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by agelow, Jun 22, 2013.

  1. Hi guys, long time reader of netrider.

    • Had my first crash today after 2 year riding. Car illegally turned left at a Right only turn.
    • Smashed his bonnet and went over. Missed oncoming traffic. Thank God I'm OK. No injuries. Full gear.
    • Sadly, didn't attach GoPro which was on before.
    Just wondering now thats its done.. I need your advice on what to do.

    We exchanged details and he has sent a claim form for insurance. I have the reference number from him.

    1. Do I just take the bike to any mechanic now? My usual mechanic OK or does I have to wait to talk to the insurance people.
    2. My bike had to be towed, its pretty messed up. My baby was a 2005 Suzuki Across. Will they repair it fully or write it off?
    3. If its a write off... what happens next?
    4. If I have a option to repair or write off.. what do you think I should do?
    Thanks 2-wheeled friends.

    Adrian :alien:
  2. Glad you are ok, get checked out by a doctor anyway, some injuries may not show up immediately.

    Are you insured?
    The other party will send an assessor to check the bike, you need to notify them where it can be seen.
    If the damage is more than 1-2k they will probably write it off.
  3. bad luck on the loss of ur bike but glad your ok and as cjvfr said get checked out just in case

  4. Glad to hear you're alright and no serious injuries.

    As mentioned already, go get checked out by a doctor and save any receipts from expenses resulting from the accident. Considering you are not at fault, take any treatment necessary i.e. physio, etc. as you will not have to pay for it.

    If you normally ride to work, but now have to drive and pay for parking instead of free parking when riding, save the receipt and try to claim for it. How did you get home after the accident? Did you have to take a taxi? Save that receipt! Since you were not at fault, your insurance will just re-claim it back anyways.

    Call your insurance right away and advise them of the accident and provide other drivers details

    1. Your insurance will send an assesor to take a look at the bike.
    2. Just leave the bike at the tow-yard for now, till the assesor goes to take a look
    3. The assesor will decide if it's a write-off or not, you don't get to decide.
    4. If you did have the option to decide, I guess it depends on the value of the bike and how much you would receive, and how much it would cost to repair. If it's roughly the same cost, get a new bike. It'll be harder to sell the bike as a repairable write-off in the future. May as well take the chance to get a new bike and gear.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Call your insurance company, they'll help you.
    Don't throw out any damaged gear. You have a Police report #? Insurance company may want one.