Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First chain lubing

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by cookie, Apr 28, 2008.

1. hi guys

did my first chain clean and lube. Chain was disgusting, have done over 1000kms or since it was last cleaned properly. Used Motorex chain de-greaser. I used fuchs chain oil which was recommended to me by MCAS. After a little ride there is still a thin layer of the white oil on the chain. My question is, with more riding and more heat in the chain will this sortof melt and turn clear or will it stay white. It looks a little weird at the moment.

cheers

2. If it's the Fuchs Silkolene Gel it stays white. When you lose the colour that's when you know there isn't any left on the chain (or it's covered in road grime).

3. yep that's the one.

cheers

4. For a moment there, I thought you were swearin :p

5. i use lanolin.
    i rub a sheep on it after every ride.

6. Pqf1D5r.

7. I just run over a kiwi :bolt:

8. I grab any greasy lookin wog & run their face along the chain :bolt:

9. :shock: :shock: :LOL:

10. :shock: at above posters.

On the subject of first chain lubing - is there a specific lube that I should use on a CBR125 or would any one from the shop shelves do?

Thanks

R

11. Any

12. Any but Castrol.

13. Thanks! No castrol, check!

14. ...b/c oils and oils?? :LOL:

Motul road rocks.

15. Castrol isn't oil, it's fling in a can ;).

16. Big Mac's work well... hold one both sides of the chain get someone to spin the wheel, Lubes and cleans off grime at the same time!

17. On the serious subject of chain lubing, anyone use an electronic lube system on their bike?

CLS200u Electronic Chain Lube System

I have a colleague who uses one that is vacuum driven and he swears by it. Sure the chain will still need a clean every now and then but you don't have to worry about forgetting to lube it.

Thoughts?

18. A Guy on another forum had a scottoiler on his tourer, at post time he didn't have to adjust the chain for 20,000 ks

19. ...define "it" :facepalm:

20. Peaches,
    My tip for what its worth..........
    For a lube, try Belray' or Motorex' or Plutoline.......spraycan of a silicon based wax,....sprays on white. :shock:
    Do the Lube at the end of your ride, chain is hot which will help the wax get in all the lil' tight places :p and.......as you've finished for the day, leaving it there will help the lube 'set' or solidify as such............ :)

Ok! Bike on centre stand, in neutral...Spraycan at the ready........the idea is to GENTLY spray a small stream onto the chain...you are not killing flys here so dont press full blast :LOL: its not what you need.....
    Position yourself up near the swingarm pivot and trickle the chain as it comes out of the casing on the bottom loop whilst rotating the rear wheel. :)
    Ensure you 'dribble it onto the rollers, it will work its way to the sides.....spray sufficient to give a reasonable coating but dont drown the chain and DONT inadvertently point the tin at your tyre.......you do NOT want lube on your rubber ( that just doesnt sound good :p but you know wot i mean) :LOL: :LOL:
    When it sets, you will have a nice 'coating' on the rollers...your chain links will look whitish but thats OK and........a visual check of your rollers from now on will show up if they are 'bare metal' in whivch case you give it a spray again.

Hope this helps
    Cheers Rogues