Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bill for the year :/

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Rocco, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hey all,

Thought I would share my little accident experience and hope you all can learn from my mistakes!

I was riding with my bro-in-law from Newcastle to Putty Rd, just refueled at the Bulga servo. As we exited, went from 60-80 zone and as I was speeding up, a wasp flew into my helmet behind my sunvisor (helmet has 2 visors). I thought the ding on my helmet would have killed it but instead it was buzzing like crazy hitting my eye! So I thought I did OK by slowing down, popping the visor up with one eye shut, then just before I came to a stop, I pulled over into the gravel and before I knew it, the bike dropped exhaust side!! So of course the wasp had left my helmet as I stopped. I am fine btw =]

The bike falling over was a combination of the front wheel catching on a larger rock, locking the steering and I THINK also a chunk of soft tar locking the front wheel (had to take off before I could move the bike.)

At first I thought the fall was quite small (scratches below).... until I saw all the oil come out ](*,) Looking at the workshop manual, it looks like I've popped a hole in the crankshaft sensor cover..

The bike is sitting at my sisters place. A friend of mine towed it to Newcastle to my sisters place. I'm wondering if I can get this repaired without getting insurance involved?? Any tips / info would be greatly appreciated!!

What I have learned: Close my bloody visor!

21ssqr.

a2c6m9.

2. not good...

3. OP, "I'm wondering if I can get this repaired without getting insurance involved?? Any tips / info would be greatly appreciated!!"

Of course you can. Go to your mechanic/wrecker get the part, get bike fixed. You will still have scratched fairings.

Or go through your insurance company, pay the premium and get bike totally fixed.

The question you have to ask yourself is which one will be cheaper for you in the long run.

4. Thanks for the comment 665 =].

If I go through insurance, Does anyone know how much more my premium will go up by? I am with swann

5. That's an easy repair mate. Engine cases are found on ebay for cheap. The fairing looks like it could be buffed out or bondo filled then resprayed.

Look at it this way, at least you didn't lose an eye! And next time you will ride with the visor down :p

6. The best people to ask would be Swann about your premiums. You can ask them any questions without actually making a claim.

7. Good lesson for me! Keep the friggin visor down!!!!

8. Sorry to hear mate. I reckon you handled yourself pretty darn well (y)
    As the saying goes, things can always be much worse, luckily it wasn't in your case.
    Glad to hear you're ok...most important of all !

9. Thanks for the support all.

I found that my excess is $400. So I'm going to just go insurance and get the bike cleaned up. Premium will jump a bit though, but at least the z will be good again

10. If it was me I'd just buy the new cover and gasket, and change it myself (as well as doing an oil change)

At least you can ride straight away then while searching for a good place to touch up your fairing...

You'd spend probably less than $400 and save on having your premium jump up next year.