Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by blaringmike, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Hi guys and gals,

I've got a couple of questions about a couple of bikes i'm consideing buying.

I have my l's booked for 28/29 of July and I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 or 3 bikes. They are...

CBR250rr (Duh)

What are ppls thoughts on these bikes? Also i noticed today honda are selling new CBR125 for around 4k. Are these worth adding to my list??
  2. I'm getting a zx2r if I can find a decent green one.
  3. Shop around buddy, depending where you live there may only be a few options. Remember to get bike gear. I have a Zx2r and its a great ride I have ridden cbrs as well and they are just as good. First bike is definately one you want to look after but a drop will set you back so have a look at some nakies unless you determined to get a fairing bike.

gs500 (lams)
  4. seen a few high km 250's lately (gpx250r with 75,000km and a gsx250f across with 90,000km)

how good a prospect are they assuming they look good and ride well?
  5. I'd avoid 250s with kms that high unless you're on a very tight budget/are getting it for free.

Just so you know, the difference between the sports 250s (cbr, zxr) and non sports (gpx) is huge in terms of position and power.
  6. Thanks for the replies so far,

I was looking to spend around 7.5-8k for everyhit including bike,gear, rego and insurance. My target was around 5k for the bike.

The reason i added the gpx in there was because i have a mate who is trying to sell one and i know its been serviced and well looked after.

Would anyone recomend or have thoughts about the CBR125??
  7. If its mainly commuting in the suburbs the CBR125 would be ideal as its narrow. I guess overtaking at 100 km/h is going to be a real struggle on the CBR125 but I've seen videos on YouTube of them getting up to 140km/h on a straight. I have heard they handle well in corners but your not going to have the same power as a 250cc.
  8. Then that's probably the best one to buy if it suits you (in terms of riding position/size).
    A CBR125 may be able to do 140 - but I treat such claims the same as those claiming 200+kph out of a CBR250 :)jerk:).
    The GPX is a good bike that's easy to ride. It may be down a bit on power compared to a ZXR/CBR250 - but that's only if comparing bikes of similar condition ie a shagged ZXR/CBR (which is a large %age of those being sold) is often going to be slower than a more well maintained GPX.