Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by benito, Dec 21, 2006.

1. HEy all this is my first thread although i have been reading alot of other peoples threads i am wondering what people think about me geting for a first bike, i am 195 cm and fairly heavy i like the look of cruisers and have all but disregarded sport bikes any sugestions?

2. Cruisers are fine for some but you might find yourself getting bored with one very quickly if you're restricted to 260cc (they're not fast in a straight line and don't corner to well either). As an alternative to a faired sportsbike you might want to have a look at some of the nakeds like the Suzuki Bandit, Honda Hornet or Yamaha Zeal - all are fairly large bikes (for 250s) and are about as powerful as you can get (so no struggling to maintain highway speeds).

3. thanks jd i will definatly look at those but i do have a special place in my heart for the sexyness of cruisers.

4. Fair enough - have a look at this thread:
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29193
    Falcon-Lord did an excellent summary of the differences between the various 250cc cruisers. Though if your allowed to get something bigger then you're probably best off looking at the 650cc versions.

5. I love my Honda Rebel! secondhand so I picked him up for $1,600 which is brilliant. Being a short hobitesque frame I find the nice low to the ground action great for learning on.