Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Brett, Dec 8, 2015.

1. I have been procrastinating but now am about to get my L's next month. After researching and looking a bit at bikes I am partial to the CB400.
    As well as that there is something about a yellow CB400 that grabs my eye.
    However I have only seen a couple for sale which leads me to think that yellow is not that popular maybe.
    Question I have - which I know is just asking an opinion which can vary a lot - could this be true of just me overthinking?
    If I am looking at resale in a few years would the yellow make it harder to sell if I am right?

Seems like a lame question but cant get it out of my mind - and I have just seen one for sale that is in my price range.

Any constructive opinions are welcome.
  2. My personal opinion is that you should buy what you want and worry about resale in a year or two.

It's your first bike. There's a decent chance you'll drop it at some point. That'll have a bigger impact on resale.

Anyway, at the price range most LAMS bikes are in, colour isn't going to make a huge difference in price.
  3. No point asking what bike to get. You need to look at various bikes, sit on them in the riding position, see how well you reach the ground etc etc. That is the only way to get a bike that won't be a mistake. Think about your needs for the bike, commuter? weekend rides only?, both? Need to carry luggage?
    All of these questions are the things you should be asking yourself, and then start ruling out the bikes that won't fit your needs.

As an example, I'm currently teaching a girl to ride, she just got her L's, and because her friend went and bought a new Ninja 300, she loved the look of it so did the same. After having it lowered as much as possible, she still can barely reach the ground on her toes, and barely reach the bars with her hands. I told her this isn't really the ideal bike for her, but she won't have it. The salesman who sold it to her should be shot, so don't trust bike shop salesmen either...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Deja vue here TWEETTWEET
  5. But to OP - best colour to get is the colour you want. Or the colour of the bike you end up getting because it's too good a deal not to. No big worries....
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Yep..Growing tired of the "I'm a noob, What bike should I get?" threads..
  7. There have been a lot...
  8. And worse, is so many people telling them to get a particular bike without knowing any of the noobs needs, nor their stature etc. Noobs recommending bikes to other noobs based on what? What the noob offering the advice rides, or wished they rode.
  9. #9 Gippsland Rider, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Everyone is different but i will give you my experiences with the bike.

I have had my cb400 for 2 and a half years now and i am still very happy with the bike to the point that i am not even sure if i will upgrade to a larger bike and if i do i will probably be keeping my cb400 not sell it.

they have quite a large learning curve and once you find the bikes limits it only becomes more fun to ride, despite looking like a cruiser they have just about the best suspension, brakes and power in the range of LAMS bikes without restrictors, they are also very nimble through corners despite the 200kg weight with a full tank of juice to the point that i have nearly made my dad crash his ducati 1098 trying to catch my bike in the mountains twice now (the litre bike just has too much power so you have to baby the throttle where as you can give the 400 everything it has got)

they are also comfortable cruisers on the highway or even riding through town despite only being a 400cc and the engine is an inline 4 making 40Nm of torque so you can comfortably cruise around town at 3-4k rpm so $15 fuel can last you up to around 300 kilometers even in city traffic (you get about the same distance on a tank of fuel highway riding due to being at around 7000rpm)

I had the same thinking as you when i first bought my bike, "this is going to have a great re sell value" (and btw colour does not seem to change much) i just had no idea i would fall in love with it and never want to sell it afterwards though.