Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by McEwan, May 10, 2010.

1. Hi Guys,
    I recently got my L's and I’m looking at getting a cruiser for my first bike.

Any suggestions?

I intend to ride to work from Jervis Bay to Batemans Bay (around 100k's each way) and do some bigger trips later on when I get more experiance.

Budget wise I’m willing to spend 7 to 12k excluding gear.

Thanks in advance

Macca

2. Hi Macca,

1. Why a cruiser?
    2. How long do you want to keep it for? Are you after just a learner bike, or you want one to hopefully last you a few years?

Might help folks know what to recommend :)

3. Thanks lowercase:)
    Hi the_blacke,
    1. Why a cruiser?
    I'm keener on a cruiser as I can sit up right but im open to suggestions.

2. How long do you want to keep it for? Are you after just a learner bike, or you want one to hopefully last you a few years?
    I'd like to keep it for a couple of years. But i'm bit worried about getting a bigger bike with 650 cc and it being to big a bike to start with.

Thanks again :)

4. McEwan, prob best to say a hello in the welcome thread first.

Why you wanna sit upright? Bad back?

5. Hey lowercase,
    Will do forgive my noobness :p

Ah yeah unfortunatly I had a nice drunk driver t-bone me about 5 years ago and I did my back in.

Dosent give me much curry these days but im just wary of it :)

6. I had wanted to get a cruiser for my first bike, until I road a few naked bikes and decided that they were a lot of fun but still have a more or less upright seating position.

If you're wanting to hold onto the bike once you're off your restrictions, then I'd go for the the largest engine you can legally drive and feel comfortable with. I was very interested in the Yamaha XVS650 for a while there, and I note that honda has a 400cc cruiser which looks pretty sweet too.

7. Welcome Macca!:D

I got my L's about 2 weeks ago now and purchased a Yamaha XVS650 V-Star cruiser.

Like you I was looking at holding on to whatever I purchased for at least a couple of years and my thoughts ran along similar lines to what "slowcoach" (the_blacke) has already mentioned.

I've taken it for a couple of trips down the freeway, both times happened to be in high winds, and was really happy that the bike didn't feel like it was getting blown around, it felt good and solid and I'm really happy with it.
    And tbh, I liked the idea of having 650cc's for when it came to overtaking on freeways.

But you have to get what you feel comfortable with of course.
    If you haven't already, I'd suggest going and having a sit on a few different bikes and see if the dealer will let you take them out for a short test ride.
    Cheers,
    nightowl

8. Thanks Guys,
    Yeah I was looking at the Yamaha XVS650 V-Star cruiser on the net today looks like a really good bike.
    There a shaft drive transmission? Would that mean less maintenance?

Howd you go for price wise nightowl (If you dont mind me asking)? around the 13k mark ride away?

Might go and try one this weekend :)

9. ... I don't have to worry about cleaning/re-lubing a chain. :D

If you're getting a new one your manual should set all that out for you and you'll have a running in period etc. And there's threads here on the forum which give some great info on general maintenance and what-not.

I bought a used 2002 V-Star 650 classic with about 11,900 kms on the clock with 1 prev. owner who kept it in great condition as I wasn't too keen on the idea of getting a brand new bike straight up for my L's + .

Here in Vic they were selling new for between $10,998 & $11,998 ride-away.

The custom vsn is usually cheaper. I just checked bikepoint.com.au and they've got 2010 classic advertised with only 300kms for $10,600.

I think it's also worthwhile considering recent models with really low kms as it can shave a substantial sum off the purchase price which you can then throw into gear/accessories/insurance or set aside for future, eg. services etc.

Just my 2c - but do take one out if you can and definitely sit on a few different ones.

Happy hunting!!!

Cheers,
    nightowl

10. Thanks again nightowl you have been really helpful :)

I'll have a look around this weekend after ive gone fishing :p

I'll let ya know how I go.

Cheers,
    Macca

11. You're welcome!!! :grin:

Yes, do let us know how you get on.

Enjoy!

:biker:

12. I would SERIOUSLY look at the GS500...Fairing for protection on those cold or wet days, looks very sharp, and nice comfy riding position, with a good engine type for your needs.

But you'll know when you find the bike that's right for "you". :)

John.

13. Hey Raven,
    thanks mate i'll have a look at a GS500 too :)

Cheers,
    Macca