Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike, which bike....

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jirf88, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Evening all;

I realise that this is quite possibly the most frequently asked question, however having never owned a bike before, I feel obliged to ask...

Which bike should be my first bike?

Ill be riding mainly for enjoyment... weekend rides and the such, with a splash of cheap commuting thrown in for good measure. At this stage I've got it narrowed down to three models that I THINK will suit my purposes, and I would like your opinions please :)

They are (in no order)
    -Honda VTR250
    -Kawasaki ZZR250
    -Honda NT400

My budget is $5k, but is stretchable to $5500 (for the VTRs sake...). I've already kitted myself out as well, so that isn't a consideration in the budget.

Thanks for your input folks!

2. Test rides are your friend. Do not be afraid of them.

But, I can personally recommend a GS500, and the VTR250 is one of the most popular, for good reasons. Also check out the older VT250 spada.

Only you can decide what is right for you.

Glad to hear that you have got gear already! That's great.
    Good luck.

3. Indeed they are. Thats this saturdays job.

Has anyone owned any of these bikes in the past? Got anything to add?
  4. I was on a ZZR for a while and can tell you they're a fantastic learner bike. Easy to start, easy to ride, easy to fix. They're just all over easy. Get one, and you'll cruise through your Ls the better for it.
  5. Cheers zeker. I do like the way this bike looks... All will be decided after this weekends bout of test rides.

6. You can't go wrong with a VTR, however, that money will buy a very good nick late model ZZR, so I guess it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Have fun & stay safe!
  7. ZZR250 is a good bike. You might end up with some change from $5k.

Haven't ridden the VTR but i find them VERY expensive for an unfaired 5sp vtwin.
  8. Hmmm... An early 90's ZX2R has caught my eye... or is this just asking for trouble?
  9. Don't be a wuss and get a 500cc :LOL: :p :LOL:

I've got a GS500F and its a great first bike.
  10. While I don't dispute your statement, I think a 60kg bloke on a 250cc bike will go fast enough. For now.

Also, the only one on bike sales is an unregistered banana :p
  11. Haha yea it is quite fast enough.... but i want mine to be faster... (im 60kg)

vtr250 not bad bikes, tad more costly, but if you drop it theres not fairings to worry about.

zzr250 are nice bikes too, i missed out on buying one in pretty good nick for bout $3k.

both are quite torquey which is pretty good for the start stops, (2 cylinder)

riding position of both are quite comfy too, not too agressive, tourier styles. personally i like the CBRs better
  12. im 65kg or therebouts on a gpx, w hich is very similar to the zzr and i cant complain. gets me where i want, with enough power to cater for my riding levels.
  13. Go the VTR250! I have had one for 2 weeks now and have done 1000kms! it is awesome! :shock:
  14. Well, after a day of looking at bikes, I'm home with my ZZR250 :)

Got a good bargain too. 2005 model, one owner, not a scratch on the thing, only done 4000km.

All this, with change from $5000. I'm laughing.

Thanks for your help folks, I;ll see you on the roads!