Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Bike V Strom 650 vs XVS 600 Cruiser

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by DeeTee, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Hello All

I have narrowed my choices and saved my hard earned for one of the two above mentioned bikes, I have done a stack of reading and chatting with dealerships, (Northside Motorcyles Artarmon brilliant, Sydney City Motorcycles Lane cove, don't bother)

I'm a fairly tall bloke and big (115kg's) and will use this as my weekend transport, Do to odd long disitance trip over the blue mountains, 350 km about once a month.

If anyone has experience with either of the bikes, good or bad then that would be great
  2. Firstly, welcome to the Forum

Real chalk and cheese bikes you've chosen

I know XVS650 (no XVS600 :? ) Yammy OK power but under 40hp, LAMS approved and good entry level cruiser for a bigger guy

VStrom is a great bike. Plenty of them sold, OK power to weight putting out around 65hp, go on just about any road and as a bigger guy you can get the seat of the Vstrom 1000 and it will increase your seat height so you're more comfortable. Hope you have your full licence because the Strom 650 is not on the LAMS list
  3. Really, thats good too know bacause someone assured me the other day that the V Strom was a good Lam to buy...

he also mentioned was the BMW Dakar F650, is that the same case?

Any idea what these are like??
  4. Yeah the BMW Dakar is Learner Legal. Though if you're looking for something solely for road use your best bet would probably be the Honda NT650V Deauville which is a sport-tourer - there's also a dual-sport version (Honda XL650 Transalp) which might be worth a look if you plan on spending time on dirt.
  5. I'd rarely hit dirt between Sydney and Orange so I'm thinking the Yamaha cruiser might be an option. Have you guys heard much about them?,

I suppose I've narrowed it down because I want to make a smart choice for my first bike and get something that will at least hold some value, and be a good bike that I cna get out of ( and around the city) on weekends.
  6. Dude the 650 wee-strom is a brilliant bike, it's as ugly as a hatful of puckered bungholes but it's just sensational to ride if you can deal with the high seat, which can make it a toppler. Sounds like you're a big lad and you'd have no issues.

The motor's great (for a twin), the handling is superb and it's by a long margin the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. The seat and riding position are just magic. I enjoyed the hell out of it, after genuinely wanting not to like it. It's a cracker.

I'm not a big fan of cruisers, they look good and pull chicks but they're just not built to ride. And the beemer 650s don't have me convinced yet.

+1 vote for the Suzi!

<insert obligatory pic wheelying the test bike>

7. feet forward cruisers are not good for covering long distances. All the loads go up your tail bone, because you can't absorb weight through your legs.

Not sure if the Yamaha is set up like this, but just in case.
  8. If you really want a cruiser then the XVS650 is probably a good choice. But for the same price a Honda Deauville offers more power (41kw vs 29) and more torque (55nm vs 50) - both bikes are shaft-drive and weigh the same. Plus the Deauville has the advantages of fairings and hard panniers.
  9. As I said, I couldn't see it on the list. If it goes by another name apart from a DL650 then maybe it is.

Dakar also a good bike but expensive for what it is being a single but a BMW. Ball park figures - you will get a year or two old Strom or a four or five year old Dakar for much the same money. And Dakar is LAMS

Have you ridden either?
  10. Haven't ridden either as yet was just trying to find what the feeling is like out there, I think the BMW might be a bit pricey anyway.

Hopefully some of the advice I have gotten here will help,

thanks fellas
  11. Couldn't find the exact specs for the Vstrom but assuming its roughly the same power as the SV (same engine) the power to weight works out to be about 179 kw per 1000 kg.

The Max allowable under LAMS is 150 kw per 1000, that is probably why the Vstrom is not on the list.
  12. Isn't the Strom engine the SV650 engine? Could you not then fit the restrictors from the 650 Hyos into the engine and get it certified as a LAMS bike. Here in the ACT I'm pretty sure dealers can fill out a form to get a bike learner approved, though I'm not sure if that's the case for NSW. Might be worth looking into though
  13. Doubt it. In NSW, I believe, it has to be on the list, if it is not a 250cc 4-stroke.
  14. I bought an XVS650 last month and I'm happy with it. I'm also tall and heavy and it's slightly painful on long rides - takes 100km before I start to notice - so you'll want a cushion or develop a tolerance for pain. It's very easy to ride - surprisingly flickable for a cruiser. I've had no trouble using it for daily commutes and in slow-crawl traffic. Suspension is comfy so I hardly notice the potholes and bumps. Handles well in corners; I've had it scraping the floorboards in both directions and it hasn't felt like it's about to slip. I've even taken it off road a few times (once unintentionally :shock: ) and it's light enough to be controlled.

I think the range isn't great. About 300km to the tank runs dry (16L) and the reserve valve is in a really inconvenient spot. The fuel economy is pretty crappy now that I think about it. I suppose you can't expect much from a heavy cruiser with a carby twin.

I think it's a little underpowered. It's learner legal so you're not getting a rocket; my car accelerates harder than the bike (admittedly it's a nice car). It's no trouble when cruising the highways or commuting, but you won't be dragging sports cars on an XVS650.

No low-fuel indicator, no tacho, no thermo, etc. It's utilitarian. That's good in a way because it means any gumby can fix it. The shaft drive is a bonus - no more mucking about with chain lube every second weekend. Everything I've read and heard about the XVS650 says they're low maintenance and very reliable but I haven't had it long enough to prove that for myself. It's the same engine Yamaha has been using on the Virago 535 for decades and they've had plenty of time to perfect it.

I've only had it a few weeks so it'll be a while before I know for certain but so far it's been great and I reckon in a year or two the only thing I'll be changing is the displacement with an XVS1600.