Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Bike Tomorrow, Some Q's

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Tevez, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi there guys,

Just joined up on the forums today and had a few questions on riding.

Im getting my first bike delivered tomorrow, (ninja 300) didnt feel comforable riding it from paramatta to maroubra as my only experience riding a manual was at the Ls training hah.

Ive been reading up and watching a lot of videos on biking. Dad has an electric scooter ive been practicing on as well (it struggles to reach 60ks and get up even small hills). Ive just started to learn about countersteering (didnt believe it worked until i tried it).

My main questions were;
    Is it always best to use countersteering or is it only good at times?

How do you go around round abouts? Mainly very small ones. Currently i need to go very slowly on the scooter and sometimes worry that ill tip the bike.

Are there any big open empty areas around sydney to practice? (I see so many videos on youtubes with people in america in giant abandoned parking lots)

How do you perform a hill start on a manual? (Ill be parking the bike in my garage which has about a 30degree incline up the driveway)

Are there any specific things I should do on my first ride? (Plan on practicing gear shifting and getting accustomed to the bike just outside house before riding off)

Also if theres any other niggets of wisdom you guys want to throw my way I would be much appreciative!

2. Unless you are at walking pace countersteering is always how a motorcycle steers (same as a bicycle).

Tight small roundabout - First gear or second gear perhaps with some clutch slip and rear brake to steady things. Ultimately it will depend on the engine characteristics of your bike and it's gearing. Most LAMS bikes will be fairly docile and easy to manage at lower speeds.

Hill start, left foot down on ground, right foot on brake
    Let out clutch to friction point, bring up revs
    Ease off rear brake, continue to ease out clutch and you're off

Ride as you feel comfortable, I got on my first bike and rode it from the outer suburbs to the country via some twisty mountain roads. A good mix of road types. To me, it's easier out on some quiet country roads where you can concentrate on the bike and road without a lot of distraction from other vehicles and you can ride at a pace you're comfortable at without pressure from other vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Welcome mate - as above, big also yiu don't need a huge space to practice. You need to master the very basics of pull off and stop without stalling. Get familiar with the weight of your bike and the clutch friction point. You can do this in a small driveway. Then go a find a normal carpark and do a few basic turns and cones etc.

If you can find a Sydney mentor in here it would be useful. otherwise look for the Saturday morning practice sessions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. welcome aboard :)

5. Thanks a lot for the quick response pwbike! Will definitely be practicing those hill starts. As for going to country roads, I cant wait to get out of the city and start riding in the country

6. Welcome TevezTevez what part of Sydney are you from? Someone around here will know of a vacant space in your area for you to practise most likely.

EDIT : derrr Maroubra :)

7. Thanks for all the info guys!

8. Above walking speed, always

Clockwise :smug:

Just like taking off normally, but more revs

Practise the things you learned during the course and try to enjoy yourself.

9. :) Welcome Tevez. As a relative newbie myself my best advice is get a mentor, as chillibuttonchillibutton said. I didn't want one, but it changed my world. Riding alone in your lid its really easy to beat yourself up. Positive encouragement is vital. :) I still lose him on roundabouts if he turns right, but I'm practicing the sh*t out of them ;) That old nugget: 'Point your chin where you wanna go' is the truest thing ever. Do NOT watch the road in front of your wheel, point your intention, learn what your throttle wants when, and you'll make it a lovely smooth mini-joy.
    And I have a pathological fear of stopping on hills in any vehicle but its easier on a bike than you think. Just find your balance with your feet/foot (my rear brake is as good as useless so I have to use front, probably listen to wiser folk than me) and keep the clutch at biting point, taking off is all about being confident. Remember you know how to do it on the flat, this is no different. Once the bike bites you just gotta trust it, lift your feet, throttle on and exhale once you're moving. ;) Oh, and countersteering? You dont think about it, it just happens. You'll notice, when you notice you'll chuckle, when you've chuckled you'll find a nice little quiet road and weave up and down it over and over again loving the dips. ...Or maybe that's just me. ;)
    Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1