Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Bike: Time to get some Gear

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by christophe, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

I have just purchased my first bike - a second hand white/red CBR-250RR. I go for my L’s this weekend and have a few questions regarding gear.
    I have spent a fair bit of time searching forums and reading reviews, talking to friends and to be honest I’m more confused than when I started! Every one seems to have a different opinion on products from Alpinestars is the shit get it – to Alpinestar is mass produced shit and will fall apart in 6 months.

I should also probably add I’m not much of a brand whore; however the gear looking good is important as I know myself and I’ll be much more likely to wear it if I like it. Also I don’t want to have to buy new gear in a year (I get off my P’s and plan to step into a newish 600).

Well here is where my mind is at the moment – feel free to comment.

1. Gloves - Something like the Alpinestars SP-2 $129.95

2. Boots - Alpinestars SMX Plus Boots - $300ish.

3. Helmet – Scorpion EXO-750 $350 or Shoei $500?

4. Pants: No idea. I would like some recommendations? Something that does not look to *racer* and a bit more casual, whilst offering the prorectin I need.

5. Jacket: Again no idea, what are some things I need to lookout for in a jacket? Is leather a must have or a the synthetics comparable?

I'm not so hooked on Alpinestars for the gloves and shoes - they just seemed a good option from reading reviews.

//edit: I really don't want to look like a Power Ranger
  2. I'm in almost the exact same position as you, I bought some Alpinestars SMXR boots off ebay for about 140 and bought a jacket and gloves off a friend who sold his bike.

Second hand is definitely the way to go as long as you are smart about it.

One piece of advice I can give you is to keep the helmet on your head a good 10-15 minutes to get a proper feel of it.

I'm a bit stuck with the pants as well, I heard good things about Takamii's motolegion jeans which you can search up on ebay. However i'll be travelling on freeways a lot, could anyone give me their opinion on whether or not I would be better off getting some leathers?
    e.g something like this http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street-gear/pants-men/15577.php
  3. I just got all my gear this month, I found that the cheapest place was actually the Peter Steven clearance centres, from here I was able to buy a Shift leather jacket and Alpinestar gloves for half price (last seasons stock, not that I would know or care). I also managed to pick up a helmet for 33% off. They didn't have my size jeans so I got them off Takamii and I went to AMX outlets who had 20% off a pair of Rjays boots, who had a much wider range in my size than PS. All up I spent about $850 (all top name gear), which would of cost me ~$1300, good bargain shopping I would say!
  4. For helmet have a look at the AGV T2 that's on sale at Peter Steven clearance center. I bought one that was on sale for ~$370. If you need some help deciding gears, have a look at sites like Revzilla and Sportbiketrackgear, they have video review on many of their items which can be helpful when deciding what to buy.
  5. I've just also kitted myself out in the last few weeks for my first bike. Spent many weeks researching, comparing prices and talking to the other guys at work who've been ridding much longer than I have.

I think it's a very personal decision - depends a lot on the style you're after, comfort, and (perceived) safety. I say perceived because for some items, no matter how much you research, you won't know exactly how much they protect you until come off - Or someone who has that gear has come off and reported back on the condition and protection it offered. You'll find a few really good examples of the later by searching this forum.

I spent a bit more on gear as I wanted specific items.

IMHO you can't go past:
    - Draggin Jeans for bike pants. I've got a pair of Draggin Chinos which double nicely as business pants.
    - A quality leather jacket. You can get vented leather also for something a bit more breathable. I went for Alpinestars GP R.
    - A quality helmet. I went for Shoei purely due to the fact that they've been around for donkeys and they're a trusted name. XR-1100 had heaps of good reviews and I got a previous year's model for several hundred dollars less.

Shop around online, even locally in Aus, you'll save a bundle.

Also, a sportbiketrackgear.com and revzilla.com do some fantastic product reviews on YouTube.
  6. send a pm to Takami for gloves and kevlar jeans, also does helmets too..
  7. I'm replacing most of my gear after an off. My textile pants and jacket are repairable (tiger angel) but I've just got
    Alpinestars SP1 gloves
    Alpinestars SMX Plus boots
    Arai vector helmet
    to replace the rest (Shark helmet, Dainese gloves, AGVSport boots).
    I wouldn't wear kevlar jeans for anything except low speed commuting.
  8. The first thing I look at with a jacket is the quality of the zip. You'd be amazed at the number of makers who ruin a good design with a pathetically weak zip.
    Do you intend to ride through the winter? If so you'll need to think about waterproofing and layers.
    Summertime is always going to be hot so I would recommend a perforated jacket a little large with the option of a 100 weight fleece underneath.
    I've been using a Teknic Chicane jacket for the last 4 years. Has a good amount of body armour and flows plenty of air through the perforations.
    Nothing has broken on it although I haven't crash tested it.
    A good solid mid price jacket.
  9. For Helmets, as previously stated, try before you buy. Different head shapes in different brands. Also, remember that only helmets with Australian certification can be worn here. Just telling you because I see you put there Scorpion as a brand, and AFAIK they are not sold here.
  10. Hey Guys just wanted to update:

Firstly I purchased all my stuff from Peter Stevens - they where by far the nicest, least pushy and gave me a great price without having to jump through hoops.

Also if you include the helmet (as this needs to be purchased) from Australia PS was actually cheaper than overseas stores.

I went with:

Alpinestars SMX+Boots
    Dainese Racing Jacket - (After trying this on there was no way I could get an A* Jacket..)
    Dainese G2 Back Protector
    Arai Vector Helmet (+ Tint)

Kevlar Jeans (ebay)
    Alpinestars SP-1 Gloves (ebay)

I also got my insurance with QBE - They quoted less than half the price of Insure my Ride (24 YO). Further Swann left me on hold for years whilst QBE I was speaking to someone within two rings - I know who I would rather deal with in the event of a claim.
  11. Good choice of helmet I suppose :)
  12. Can I ask what type of insurance you got and how much does it cost? I'm also looking to get my bike insure.
  13. ^ I got QBE - Full comprehensive 24 YO on my L'sor $600 inc gear or $250 third party
  14. I was quoted $1525 comprehensive or $797 third party for my Ninja 250r. It's impossible to find an affordable comprehensive insurance price at 18...
  15. tried swann?
  16. Nice. That is almost my exact same setup. Except I have Dainese gloves and k-legs instead of jeans.