Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Bike: Suzuki Boulevard S40 (LS650) or Yamaha V-Star XVS650?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by John Roberts, May 15, 2016.

1. Hey guys, been checking this website for a little while now but this is my first post.
    So I'm 18 and just got my motorbike learners permit the other day. I've gone and bought all my gear and all I have left now is to buy a bike. I'm pretty set on a cruiser as I love the style and the riding position is far more comfortable for me. At the moment I'm tossing up between a Suzuki LS650 and a Yamaha XVS650. I've heard good things about both but the XVS650 seems to be better. I have sat on the LS650 and it was super comfortable and not to heavy, but I haven't had a chance to sit on the XVS650. If it helps I sat on a XV250 and it wasn't nearly as comfortable, but it may be nothing like the XVS650. I'm also wondering if I should be going for a 650cc bike for my first or just stick to a 250cc. Lots of people say 250cc is plenty but the guy I talked to at the bike shop said they are kind of dangerous in a way as they lack the power to get away from danger or to overtake. I also plan on riding on the highway so I'm not sure a 250 would have enough power. What are your guys thoughts? Other bike suggestions are very welcome! Looking to stick under $5-6K if possible.

2. Either bike is good. Good reliable brands. Up to u really, u won't go wrong with either. I like the xvs better. Go straight for the 650 mate. You will need to hire a bike to pass the riding test for your Ps though as u won't pass it on a big cruiser

3. The XVS650 will be nicer on the highway, the LS650 will be lighter and easier to manage around the city IMO.

4. Thanks for the replies guys! Will probably go for the XVS650 then!

• Like Like x 1
  5. As a bonus I reckon you'll find it easier to sell an XVS650 when (if) you are looking to upgrade your bike, they're a popular model where as the LS650 is a slower seller.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Welcome aboard :) Congrats on the Ls
    Cant go wrong with either of your choices, as mentioned by Geoff3DMNGeoff3DMN the XVS will be easier to resell but either bike will do the job very well.

7. My best mate bought a new XVS650 Custom as his first bike and kept it until off restrictions, to replace it with a used XVS1100 for 2up touring.
    So, the Yammy must have been good to him.

IMO John RobertsJohn Roberts, best to stay away from 250cc cruisers. I hear they're hard work on the highways.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gday John RobertsJohn Roberts welcome to NR!

try to sit on or ride both before you make up your mind. maybe try a few others while you're at it.

9. Hey mate, I did a fair bit of research and looked at a few cruisers. I settled on the Yamaha 650 cruiser and have had it out on the highway and it has enough grunt and very comfortable. There are lots on the market as guys use them to get experience before moving up. I picked up my 2010 model for under 6 grand.

• Like Like x 1