Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Bike - Recommendations/Weight Query

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by 2stroksmokr, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Hi there, I'm finally switching over to the road code in 3 weeks and would like to get a roadbike within 3 weeks. Ridden trial or my life and can't wait to get a roadbike.

Now I'm going to be restricted with the LAM bikes so would like recommendations on that however the ones I'm looking which are only 250cc, I'm being told by my future fellow riders that I'm too big and to look for something more powerful. I'm 6"3 and 90kg. Is this correct?

I would like and have a budget range of 'up to' 4k. And wanting after 06 atleast. Seen 08 and up for 4k range.

I'm really liking the look of Ninja 250R (EX250J) & Honda CBF250 however I can't seem to find them on the LAM list though they are all filtered under the approved section on bikesales.

Am I missing it?

It will be used for a daily commute and my Sunday 'Church' ride up the mountains.

Any recommendations and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Not on the list cos its implied that it is, basically the 250's below are excluded, everything else is LAM's

The following 0 mL – 250 mL motorcycles, are excluded from the LAM scheme.
    Suzuki RGV250
    Kawasaki KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
    Honda NSR250
    Yamaha TZR250
    Aprilia RS250
    Conditionally registered motorcycles which have not been approved under Australian Design
    Rules certification are also excluded.
  3. Oh ok, now when I actually take a minute to read it clarifies that I was reading it as 250ml-600 arg fail. Whats your opinion on these bikes and with my weight etc.? Should I be fine. In that price range anything else a better option?
  4. I reckon buy Pilgrims bike, great deal, nice bike, will last you for a good couple of years!!
  5. Very nice bike, however bit out of the price range.

Even looking up the Hyosung GT250R very sleek as well. Best I get browsing through all the search results on these models.

See a 09 GT250 for 3800 with 13,000k on the clock, not bad.
  6. Honda hornet 250!! (CB250F)

(NOT CBF250)
  7. What's your first language?
  8. I guess this refers to what make you buy? After a day of arguments its settled down to an 08 Ninja onwards.
  9. Well ended up picking up a GS500F. I was too uncomfortable and big on the ninja when I tried.
  10. Which precisely demonstrates the point of LAMS. :)
  11. GS500 is perfect for you ... good larger bike but still nimble, is not restricted and has a bit of power. Will def serve you well through your Ls and Ps.
  12. I would suggest looking at getting the front springs replaced, at your height & weight you will probably bottom out the front at some stage, happened to me when braking hard one day & even when entering my driveway..