Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

first bike questions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Disco_Dave, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hi,

These questions are kind of stupid but i am going to be buying my first bike really soon and wanted to know how test riding bikes as a learner works? I am guessing no one (dealer or private seller) would want a beginner taking their bike for a spin. How does this usually work?

2. I would assume you could get as far as sitting on one to see how comfortable it is.

When it comes to actually riding, they probably won't let you do that until after you've handed over the asking price...

3. If you're new to bikes then anything you ride is likely to seem ridiculously fast, and handle far better than you're capable of riding. So there's not really a lot to be gained from a test ride.

If buying 2nd hand get someone who knows bikes well to check it out for you (there are professionals who will do this for a fee), if buying new all you can really do is check whether it feels right to sit on.

4. When I brought my bike from SCM Campbelltown I had to sign a insurance document, and was basically allowed to take it up & down the driveway a couple of times.

5. Thanks for the input guys. The other thing I realised is that if i buy it from the city dealers then i will need to ride through hectic cbd traffic which i dont like the idea of for my first ride on the road :S if i buy there i guess i might try and pick it up on a sat morning.

6. It would depend on the dealer. The day after I got my L's my local dealer let me take a test ride by myself on their demo bike. I had to sign some papers but can't remember the details.

7. My suggestion would be to get a bike knowledgable friend to do a test ride for you...and to ride it home for you.
    Are you going to catch a train/bus with all of your gear to get to the dealership as well?

8. +1 to the points above. The bike salespeople I know have said that test rides are sort of pointless - you would really want to take the bike away for the weekend and do a mixture of suburban and open highway riding to get a real feel for the bike. You won't get that by going round the block.

You may not be permitted a test ride at some dealers, and (unlike cars) it is not that uncommon for the purchase to be made without a test ride. By all means get your leg over the bike and find out how well it fits you, and choose a bike that will be well suited to the type of riding you plan to do.

Incidentally, when I was at PS late last year, a mature age lady on L plates came in and wanted to take "her bike" (which she had paid a deposit on) out for a test ride. She dropped it while out on the test ride. ~Awkward~!!!

KN

9. When I bought my first bike (2nd hand) about 4 weeks ago, I test rode three bikes before I made an offer. Each of the sellers knew I was a learner and none of them had an issue with me riding their bike. One of them even suggested a nearby car park (about 2km's away) for me to go and test it in.

Dealers are a different matter - I don't think any of them would let a learner ride any of their bikes...

10. They will let you if you push hard enough. And usually for a slab of beer or fifty bucks they will deliever it to your home. Well any reputable dealer would.
    That bit of paper you are signing says that you pay the first two and a half thousand in damages when you test ride. Drop one and they wont go easy on you.

11. they can organise delivery. it was something like $100 when we got a bike from peter stevens.

12. Depends on the dealer. I took a few bikes out on for test rides when I was on my L's. like the others have said most will get you to sign a form saying you will pay the excess if you have an accident. iirc i think the excess on the bikes I rode was $1000.
    If you dont want to test ride in the city (which is understandable) just go to a suburban bike dealer.