Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

first bike ninja 250r or cbr250r

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hoffman, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Hi all, I've been shopping around for a bike as my first and so far im tossing up between both of these bikes.

Im thinking a new bike is the way to go because of the warranty and assurance that no ones done anything silly on it that might cause problems in the future.

The costs I've been quoted are

$6290 ride away for the ninja
    $5490 + on road costs for the cbr250r
    And $5990 + on road costs for the cbr250r with ABS

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with these bikes that might offer me insight to help in my choosing. Also is the extra $500 worth it for the ABS?

Thanks for your time guys, looking forward to hearing from you!
  2. ride both, buy the one which you like better.
    try other bikes too. have you considered a beefier sports bike (500)? a road/trail that will last you forever and take you anywhere? a comfy cruiser?
  3. thanks for the tips,
    dont know how id feel going for test rides though as it will be my first bike and the only riding experience i will have will be the learners course.

im thinking that 250cc is a good place to start because having the prior learning experience i think i will be more confident on a smaller bike.

i have considered maybe a super motard, i recon they look flippin badass! but i have not yet looked into them as much as i have sports bikes

thanks again! going window shopping for bikes again today to have a look at a few more dealerships
  4. good luck. btw cbr250r vs ninja 250r has been covered A LOT, consider using the search function next time...
  5. In short, CBR better commuter, Ninja better sport bike.

ABS is a convoluted question. The purist's don't like it. You're going to be dealing with two things on the CBR though.

Combined brakes and ABS. 90% of the people who don't like ABS confuse it with combined braking. They can be mutually exclusive, although in Honda's case, most of the time they go hand in hand.

If I were learning again, I'd be tempted by the ABS option if I were buying a CBR. For such a small outlay you're reducing your chances of making a costly mistake early in your riding career. People will tell you that you're dodging the learning process and you wont be able to brake properly, which I think is a load of crap. ABS only operates once you've exceeded your skill and for a learner, I rate that pretty highly.

Don't be afraid of going and test riding. Dealers will have seen people like you a hundred times and they'll know where you're at and how to sell you a bike.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to motorcycling.
  6. I know appearance isn't everything, but whenever I see a CBR250R on the road, I can't help but think that it looks almost like a scooter. It's so skinny even compared to the Ninja.
  7. There will be a difference in riding position, I think the cbr250r us more upright and the Ninja is a little more sporty, have a sit on each & see how they feel.

Also based on what sort of bike you want to upgrade to once off your restrictions should influence your decision, if you are sports bike orientated then the Ninja would seem more logical, if more the naked/sports tourer then the Honda is probably more suited to you.
  8. thanks for all the input guys.

with what your saying i think im leaning more towards the ninja now, sportier feel. pluss i just love the look of them :D

i really love the green special edition colour too but i just dont know if i can justify the extra dollars just for a different paint job :p
  9. Another thing to consider is availability...

I have heard of there being supply issues with the Ninja recently, it may be worth asking around dealers to see how fast they could get a bike for you..

Also there are so many second hand ones around, could save you a grand or more, if the supply issue is actually there you may be forced into considering a second hand one..
  10. a drz400sm is suited to new riders as you can crash them and just pick it up again and go. service intervals are around 6,000km for oil changes. can be modified cheaply and handle shitloads better than the cbr and ninja.

some people find them uncomfortable. or they dont like the look.
  11. I just sold my green special edition today :)
    For a LAMS bike, it does look nice.