Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike, new tyres, wet weather?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by benco, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I have a VTR250 waiting for me at a dealership, and they have put new tyres on it to pass the roadworthy.

Its ready for me to pick up, but I'm really iffy about test riding it and riding it home because it has been raining on and off for the last few days, and will be raining on and off for the next few days as well.

Am I right to be worried about riding with new tyres in the rain, being a completely new rider? or do new tyres have better grip in rain once they are worn in?
  2. When tyres are moulded the moulds are sprayed with stuff ( Yep, that is the correct technical term) to make the tryres slip out of the mould. There may be traces of said stuff on your new tyres which may make them slippery especially in the wet.

The stuff wears off as you ride but in theory if you tip over a bit further than you have tipped before, you may hit a point on the tyres where the stuff hasn't been worn off and it could go out from under you.

So when you get new tyres you will be cautioned to take it easy for a while.

As a new rider the wet is slipperier than the dry even without new tyres and so you should be cautious and smooth with your throttle, brakes and tipping anyway.
  3. On general principal I'd say leave it there until the roads are mostly dry.

A completely new rider would never get a set of tyres scrubbed in to my satisfaction, but in a hundred or so km from new, you should have the worst of the yuck off them. At that point they will provide the best wet weather grip they're ever going to, and the level of wet grip will gradually deteriorate as the tyre wears, to the point that when they're nearly bald at 12,000 km or so, they'll be quite dangerous on a cold wet day. Pretty much the same story for dry grip. New tyres will also warm up to operating temperature much faster, usually within a km or two. Wet day, worn tyre, cold temperatures, you're never going to get that thing warm, and that's one of the reasons it won't grip properly.

Could you ride it home safely on new tyres in the wet? Of course you could - we do it every day. The question of just how risky it is depends on just how confident and capable you are on the bike, how far you have to go, and how bad the conditions really are. If you have to ride it a long way through the streets of Melbourne in the rain, on a cold day, on brand new tyres ... as a brand new rider ... over wet tramlines ... I don't think you should do that.
  4. Kneedragon's questions are great to ask yourself.

I was in exactly the same situation. I ended up getting a friend to ride the bike over to my place. I just wasn't confident enough riding home over wet tram tracks with brand new tyres.

Have since been taking the bike out on mostly dry days to try and scrub the wheels in best i can before the cold wet season starts.
  5. Yeah, the trip home is about 40-45 minutes and is mostly 80km/h winding/hill roads, so I was a bit iffy about it.

I'd get someone to just ride it home for me, except for the fact that, technically it isnt even mine yet. I have a deposit on it, I've told the guys that I'm really keen on buying it, but I want to test ride the bike before I buy it..
  6. Ah, I see. I think they'd also be a bit happier and more confident if the weather was better then. Wait.

Oh, and by the way - welcome to netrider, Benco. I just noticed that.
  7. Thanks :) Long time lurker, first time poster!
  8. Wait if you can. Best advice ever. How can you test ride it when you cant really see what it goes like in crappy conditions.
    Or get one of the guys in the shop to throw in a few fig 8'sin the car park. Pretty easy to do. Just get one of the salesman to brag about his skills lol.
    Worst comes to worst and you just have to. Stay in the wheel tracks. Keeps a 5 second buffer. Brake well before intersections. Mainly concentrate using the rear, and gearing down and be very soft on the front. Stay off painted bits. Hit tram tracks at the most angle that you can. Same for ruts and ridges in the road.
    Honestly...wait. A few here had to ride it home as soon as they could. With negative results.
  9. First time I ever bought a set of tyres it pissed down just as I rolled out of the shop. I was nervous, I took it easy, I had no dramas.

Chances are nothing will happen. Problem is if something does happen, it may not be nice. If you have a choice as a new rider i would suggest waiting. If you can't wait take it cautiously.
  10. Wait...

You'll be so bloody nervous you wont be able to concentrate properly....
  11. Just an update, got the bike home fine.

Now I just have to work on tight turns/u-turns..they will be the death of my bikes paintjob. :p
  12. You just gave me the best idea...

Next time I get the impression a salesman is talking out of his ass, i'm gona ask him to do some u-turns in the carpark :D Should sort the men out from the boys :D Be hilarious if he drops a brand new bike :D

13. Yep, same for me, started raining when I was just about to roll out the showroom. Waited for the rain to stop and took it easy on the way home. got it all home in one piece
  14. I asked the mechanic about scrubbing in the new tyre when he put it on and he took it out for spin for me in the nearby twisties. Now I feel confident enough to do this myself and looking back on it I was probably being a bit too cautious.
  15. riding on wet tram trucks is a bixxh! i almost lost control one day on burwood highway
  16. I don't know about you lot - but I am pretty anal about tram tracks in any condition. In the dry I am reasonably cautious keep the bike relatively upright. In the wet I keep the bike as upright as possible, cross at a decent angle at the same time.

Heard many stories already of riders trying to guide the bike across the tracks and front end coming out.