Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike. Mixed messages

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by yakfishar, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Hey guys looking for some advice on getting my first bike I have heard getting a 125 is the best option very tame, light, easy to handle and cheap but then others seem to think get the most powerful/ largest lams bike available.

A bit of a background on me I'm 26, absolutely zero motorcycle experience, have been driving a manual car for 9 years, 5'10 84kg.

The bike would be used for commuting and weekend rides, no freeway stuff, Max speed limit on commute 70 km/h.

With the information above what capacity bike would be my best option?

Appreciate all advice, cheers

2. U really need to ride half a dozen for 30 minutes or so and decide for yourself. I would forget about the 125 for starters. Try some 250 s and 650s. The 650s are going to be bigger and heavier but once u get going the extra weight will disappear, they will have more torque and u won't have to rev them as much as a 250. " max speed 70kph" oh so funny ;-)

3. Try as many as you can get your hands on..

Any bike can be a good first bike, a lot of it comes down to self control, mainly with bigger bikes, but then again bigger bikes can be easier for newer riders.. so they do not have to constantly change gears, letting the power do its thing. But the con is the weight and can shock some smaller riders.

Then there is efficiency, are you tight on money or can you go whatever and fill it.. need more criteria to get a smaller list of bikes.

4. I had neverb ridden until I went and did my full day leaners course. A month later and I now own a CBR500R and it's actually not that heavy (I am 6'3" tall but only 85kgs and weak, lol)... I think I'd be bored with a 125 already...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Look at your finances first. Bikes are not cheap like the myth says. They will forever eat at your pocket like your wife. Addon, extras, mods, riding gear, stickers, services, spares, repairs and more addons plus more mods until you get settled. (My experience anyway and I haven't finished spending (y))

Nothing wrong with a 125. The sister-in-law has a CBR125 and loves it more than a 250. She lives in Sydney CBD and rides out to the mountains on the weekends. Buying a 125 for your first year could be a good thing, your over 25 had your car licence and if you're in NSW after a year on your P's you are unrestricted. $1500 or less for a 125 for a year and 3 months could be a good thing. Why spend thousands on something that may be dropped, scratched etc...

6. Can I do this having had no riding experience? I'd be worried about dropping/crashing a bike I haven't even paid for yet.

Could probably stretch the budget to include any of the lams bikes available that i'm aware of. My head says probably a cbr or ninja 250/300 would be the sensible choice but god damn that ducati monster 659 is a sexy beast...

7. Good point I am in NSW by the way so this would apply. Might be better off spending the money post lams.

8. First of all, welcome to the forum, Yakfishar! (You might want to introduce yourself in the 'welcome lounge' b4 you get growled at!!)

You really haven't provided much info for us to go on. If your looking to purchase a 2nd hand bike, my recommendation for a beginner is the Suzuki GS500 or GS500F. I currently have a GS500F and it is one of the best learner bikes available. I am 5'11" and 93kg (a tad overweight now! :-() and the bike suits my size well.

The GS500F has plenty of torque and more than enough power for your current requirements as well as for, in my guess, a few weeks later on when you are used to riding and want to go on some more longer adventurous rides. It's sporty enough without the awkward sports bike riding position. Has plenty of go to allow me to get out in front of the traffic and to accelerate away from the idiot drivers whenever necessary.

I've really enjoyed riding my GS500F over the past 1.5 years. They are also easy to service and maintain and parts are pretty cheap if ever needed.

Food for thought.
    Kow8ell

9. Unrestricted bikes are even more sexier. Remember,
    Bike cost + CTP + Pink Slip + third party + Bike Gear + transfer of rego + servicing
    maybe new tyres if needed, all adds up and the bigger the bike and the less experience could also mean more expensive insurance.

you can test ride even on your L's, just means the dealers insurance excess if you crash/damage it goes up. Do you know anyone that rides?

10. #10 iClint, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Just book in to do the Pre Learner course the training mob are bound to have a couple of different bikes you can try capacity wise, figure out if you even want to get into riding, you might try it at the course and just decide its not for you but I doubt it.

Once you have your L's and you have had a taste there are plenty of bargain used bikes and who's to say you need to stick with one for the whole period you are on your L's P'buy one ride it sell buy another.

I'd probably avoid test riding new bikes until you have some confidence and experience up your sleeve you don't want to get landed with a 3,000+ excess when you could have bought a bike for that much,

11. Cheers for the heads up, just posted an introduction.

Completely open to 2nd hand in fact that's probably my preference, something with less than 10 000k's and a good service history would do nicely.

I have one mate who rides.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

12. oh and if you do go the 125 route keep in mind they really become dangerous on a road with a speed limit above 70km/h you lose all your advantages of acceleration and will struggle just to keep up with traffic.

I have a 125cc scooter among my bikes and i love riding it and have never grown tired of it, I take it out on to the free way but I am also a special kind of individual.

13. The CB400. Simples.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Go test ride the Yamaha MT-07. The best. Once u test ride u'll buy it.

15. My bike weighs in at close to 300 kg but once it gets above 10 kph, it feels no heavier than a 125. Below 10 kph it can be awkward as I am short and can't flat foot, but i have gotten used to it and Imanage.

When you get your first bike it will probably feel awkward and heavy at first even if it is a 125 but as you get used to it it won't seem as heavy or as hard, even if it is a 500.

If you plan to spend most of you time under 10 kph a 125 may not be a bad idea but if you plan to ride the thing at speed limits and keep it for a while, go for something bigger.

16. Why not something hot (don't start you guys...) zippy and yet manoeuvrable like a Kwaka Ninja 300 or a second hand 250 Ninja. Great bike for a learner about 179kg so doable if you drop her (unfortunately I know), sporty yet a nice commute and you can do the weekend warrior on her as well....:troll:

17. I can't imagine anyone being content with a 125 if it was their only bike for too long

18. I love my small bike. For me a 250 is as small as I am prepared to ride anywhere. The best all round size for me is the 500's. They are still light but heavy enough to hold the road a bit better. Power to push into the wind and can hold open road speed with ease. I am the same size and weight as you and would be happy with a 500 long term.
    But because we are doing some touring two up, I ride a Goldwing as well.

19. 2nd hand adage for cars has always been, if you have 5k to spend get a 3k item, use the other 2k on the small things as it adds up. But this is a bike :)

20. Don't get a 125, if you get something bigger and find it intimidating that fades pretty fast. Being bored or wanting more power is a bitterer pill to swallow. I say that with the benefit of hindsight.