Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW First Bike - Lower North Shore area

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by MudwiG, Aug 25, 2016.

1. CB400

2. CBR500R

3. XJ6N

1. Hi All,

Have been commuting on a scooter for the last year and am now on an unrestricted licence so would like to upgrade.

This will be my first bike so looking to build up gradually, am 35 with no manual riding experience.

looking at Honda Cb400, Honda CBR500R and Yam XJ6N, anyone have thoughts or suggestions.

Also live in North Sydney area if anyone is local!
  2. Welcome to the forum mate.

There is plenty of info on here on all those bikes - just use the search function

Enjoy the hunt!
  3. Ditto, plus go ride all ofthem yourself, see what feels good to you.
  4. Welcome mate. Some good choices there. Go out and ride a bunch of different options to see what interests you the most.
  5. I am biased, but the Honda CBR500R is great. The new model in matte black looks phenomenal, I am bummed I didn't wait a year and get that 2016 version instead of 2015 version.
  6. I'm liking the look of the 400 in your profile pic!
  7. CB400 ftw. Great bikes, recommend them. But as noted above, you've got to try a few different bikes out to see what a) fits you and b) suits your style/feels right for you.
  8. True, the CB400 IMO is an awesome looking/sounding bike. But it is only one type of bike, a naked. Who knows maybe you would prefer a supersport or cruiser, etc? That's why you should try a bunch of different ones!
  9. If you've got no experience riding manual, id just get a cheapie. You can flog the guts out of a 250 while you sort out brake and clutch and throttle control and all that jargon and when you're comfortable with the rear brake under your right foot instead of on your left handle and you can slow speed manoeuvre with a clutch in your left hand and a throttle in your right, then get a nice one. CB400s are amazing machines. Bit pricey, but I'm fairly sure you get what you pay for. An MT07 is cheaper off the bat and seems to hold value better at the moment, but in saying that you can pick up a good secondhand CB400 for a very reasonable price at the moment.
  10. If you don't need a lams bike go out and at least have a ride on a bigger powerful bike. I think you'll be surprised. It's only as fast as u twist the throttle. One things for sure though, the bigger bike will go, stop and handle better and safer imho. More torque means less gear changes and an easier ride
  11. G'day and welcome, MudwiGMudwiG. Until recently, I owned a Yamaha XJ6-NL. It was an excellent motorcycle to progress through Learner and Provisional licences. Having said that, I don't think any of the models you've suggested would disappoint you - I'd also suggest the Yamaha MT-07 for consideration. The Honda CB400, in my opinion, has the best performance of these models and is excellent value with examples selling for ~$5,000-$,6000 (~30,000 kilometres and ~5 years old).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. #12 Jeffco, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    wwelcome aboard :)

Enjoy the hunt if you want to see how you would fit on a particular model

try this
    Motorcycle Ergonomics
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Yeh its great isn't it :) I got it from someone else here, cant remember who

Its a great little tool
  14. In order XJ6N, CB400 and lastly the CBR500.
  15. Welcome to NR, congrats on your fulls.
    There's plenty of us nearby, I'm on the beaches. Keep an eye on the ride announcement section and come along on a ride when you get your new wheels.
  16. Don't restrict yourself to LAMS bikes if you don't need to. BUT, you've got to go through the learning gear changing process. It's not particularly difficult, and I much prefer it on a bike myself. Have you ever driven a manual car?

How much can you afford to spend?

I have been extremely surprised by the value of my bike, not new, but an amazing amount of goodies as standard. But you have to like a different type of styling.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Welcome :cool:

Sit on as many as you can but the bikes you've listed are all good machines.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I am next suburb to North Sydney mate. If you ever keen to hit old pac let me know. I try to get out once a week either Sat or Sunday.
  19. You like to do old pac waiting in a traffic queue? Haha

I'm still jealous that you're out riding every weekend. I'm crawling through an old roof this afternoon to run some fibre cables to a comms rack, and would funnily enough much rather be stuck in traffic on old pac ;-)
    • Funny Funny x 1