Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike help needed

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Rigga1995, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Hi
    I am just about to go for my question ride so am looking for a budget bike to last me for a year or so.
    I am 6ft and 120kg so was thinking a 650 of some sort bit I'm not sure.
    Is there any decent looking sports bikes our there for around the $2500- $3000 mark.
    All help appreciated.

2. For that budget a hyosung 650 is probably the go. If u like the sports riding position look for a gt650r or the more comfy and upright ones are 650 s or comet
  3. Thanks ill have a look.
    They are a little pricier on bike sales but they look nice.
  4. If it's only a year, an old Suzuki sv650 might sort it out. They're not TOO pricey when they've a few kms under the belt, and the older ones are one of the better looking 650cc learners...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I don't think they are lams approved are they?
  6. Rigga1995Rigga1995 You might be right. They look mean tho...

Just had a look and the prices for 2010-12 ones (the weirdly pointy fairing LAMS one before the awful gladius shape...) are absurd. Disregard my post.

A colleague learned on a Kawasaki ER6N and it was a great bike. Big enough, a little sluggish with the learner restrictor, but it was a big bike with a big rear tyre, twin discs up front and suspension that could manage a 120kg bloke...

A few of the more spacious learner bikes I can think of are XJ6N, ER6N, MT07 and even a GS500. The GS500 is getting a bit long in the tooth but they're a rock solid, cheap, simple bike that'll do you for a year no worries...
  7. As a bigger guy myself, similar in size to yourself, go for a larger capacity bike with higher torque.

I rode a Hyo 250 GT for a year, and got all I could out of it, just upgraded to a new 650 Kawasaki and the difference is incredible.

So bigger engine, more torque. On a budget you will likely find a few Hyosung 650's. Make sure you leave plenty of room in your budget for other stuff too though, gear, maintenance items etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks guys.
    I'm really liking the look of the hyosung 650