Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

first bike, found some. After opinions please!

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by julz, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hello everyone! :grin:

I got my learners last week and stoked! I've been doing a bunch of searching on everything possible for a learner. I have found 6 bikes that I want to have a look at and possibly buy if happy after looking at them. I thought I would get all your opinions, I want to look at these this week.

2. none of them - get a VTR250

Naked FTW

Seriously though they all look nice and shiny, but just remember they won't when you drop it and they will cost more to fix than a naked bike.

Now everyone can go and have a cry about not everyone dropping thier bikes but let's be honest most n00bs do. My 250 went down 3 times (low speed lowside, driveway drop and I got the shits with it and pushed it over) and it cost me a total of $15 to fix it.
  3. Well I'm not sure what sort of opinion you're looking for as you pretty much seem to have narrowed things down yourself. Obviously you want a fast and agile 250 with performance a big desire over comfort.

Personally I would always recommend to a new rider to get something that does not have a full fairing. The chances of putting it down, even just gently, due to building your skills and experience is quite high and that's going to be expensive. For some bikes where the indicators are part of the fairing it could also mean that a small drop could make your bike unroadworthy.

Along the same theme don't get a bike that has exhausts on both sides of the bike. At least if they're only on the right hand side you have a 50/50 chance of damaging them in a drop. If you have them on both sides then you will definitely damage one. I speak from experience :)

Still, motorcycles are not at all about logic and common sense so feel free to ignore my advice!

I noticed that at least one of the bikes is an import. Again my experience says don't buy any import bike, particularly one that is relatively old. I previously owned a GPZ500s and because there is stuff all of them in Australia Kawasaki don't carry many parts for them. I waitied 3 weeks for a $5 seal to come from Japan keeping my bike off the road for close to a month. Parts will either be expensive or just difficult to come by.

Overall look for a bike with low kms, don't trust what a seller says in their description but look closely at the bike in person. Has it been dropped, look for scrapes on mirror edges, exhausts, foot pegs, cracks in the fairing particualry around the posts that secure them to the chassis? Is there a good amount of tread left on the tires otherwise that's going to cost a few extra big ones to replace in the near future and should lower the price, how much rego is left, again another expense to add onto the cost. Check the chain and sprockets for excessive wear which at best will mean more money spent, and at worst could indicate poor maintenance or a speed freak that has been hammering the bike constantly. Do the fork seals leak?

I did also notice that one of your bikes could have a jacket and helmet with it which could save you some reasonable $$$ so that could be worth looking at.

Ultimately I think you've really worked out what sort of bike suits your desire and now it's simply a case of taking a close look at some of them to weed out any jokers in the pack. If you're not sure what to look for find a friend who would be willing to go with you. If none of your friends ride then I'm sure you can find a Netrider friend who would be willing to help.

Good luck!
  4. Its clear you like fully faired 4 cylinder sports-bikes. If you are confident to ride them, then they are just as easy to ride as naked twins. They are a good stepping stone to an unrestricted japanese sportsbike. Both the Honda and the Kawasaki have a good support base. I can vouch for the Honda, every part I've needed (not many), the dealer has had.

If you do have a drop on the Honda, repairing damage is easy due to the availability of aftermarket parts. The ABS fairings are pretty tough anyway, but should you seriously rash/smash them up, a fully painted set will cost ~$700.

Go look up on the internet what year of bike you want. I'm not sure about the ZXR250, but its worth knowing that the CBR250RR was restricted in power after 1993. With LAMS, the sporty 250's have dropped a little in price.

Don't get a VTR250. Who pays 6k for a used naked twin. If you want to go down the value route, get a GPX250. /flamesuit :LOL:
  5. Hi Julz,

As someone who was after a CBR250RR and ended up buying a Honda Hornet 250, I thought I might weigh in here.

My suggestion: Ride some different bikes before deciding. Try nakeds and the sports-oriented ones.

Some people had told me that the CBR250 would be uncomfortable. I actually found it very comfortable for my height and build (5'10", 83kg) and could have ridden it all day. I ended up not getting a one mainly due to the fact that I didn't like the way it behaved at road speeds - it was much happier going faster.

From what I've heard, the Honda 4 cylinder 250 engine is also bulletproof. I'm not sure about the 4-cyl 250 suzukis or kawasakis, though.
  6. thanks for the great and mature replies people! im surprised there was no flaming!

i understand the smart option would proberly be to get a naked bike, but im not smart! haha i guess the main reason i want the full faired is because i wanna look good! and im happy to pay the lil extra, and also if i drop it im happy to get it sprayed. or drop the price when i sell!

ultimately i want to end up getting something like yamaha r6... purely only what ive read, but ill worry about that when ive had the experience and get to know more. so i guess starting on a sports will help...

also starting on a sports bike doesnt worry me too much at the moment, i drive a sports car and know its all about throttle control! im no hoon, im more of a poser! lol :p i used to be a hoon (not too bad of a hoon) but now know life is a little more important! and just like to cruise with some power... plus i love the look and sound the most!

I guess the main reason for this post was just to check the ones i wanna go check out are good from what i see... next is to check in person.

from what ive read, both sides say there bullet proof. i think both sides may be right coz the old bikes are still running and selling.

thanks for pointing that out, bikes seem to be hard to spot which is imported or not, i know with cars its very simple. (if you know the car) because it will have certain options etc. eg i own a 96 skyline gts-t which is import only, its fine and parts are easy. but bikes is a whole new world for me i have no idea about. gonna have to learn a whole new world again! :grin:

once again people, amazing replies. i visit forums like skylinesaustralia, nissansilvia all the time and there never as helpful or as constant! maybe get 1 good answer out of every 10! A+ for netrider!
  7. I'm prettymuch in the same boat as you, don't really use the kms as a guide......... most of the bikes you've linked are around 20 years old and 20thou kms is a little sus. Give them all a looking over, and check everything, test ride.....don't just buy because its shiny, buy because the bike passes the used bike checklist (somwhere in the forums, prolly newb section) it feels good to you (no use riding a cbrzxgzxfzrrrrrRRRrrrr if you cant sit on it properly) and yea, have a good look, check for stuff in that guide.....if the price is right and you want it, buy it :D
  8. Be aware that the posey race reps are significantly harder to learn on than things like gpx, zzr and of course the vtr. My advice is to swallow your posing instincts until you can ride like a demon unleashed, and get a bike that will make a good rider out of you faster. Once you can handle yourself, then buy something poofy and shiny.
  9. Listen to Loz.
    I had a ZZR250 as my learner bike, and that served me well. I remember hearing ElMarco say that his Poofy Italian Bike wouldn’t go around corners unless you hang off it like a complete tosser. I Listened and took onboard what he was saying without really understanding. I just recently upgraded from the ZZR to the R6. After spending a week or so trying to ride it like the ZZR (except on twisties) I realized that it was bloody hard work (Except in twisties) So I started to ride everywhere like I do in twisties.
    Elbows down, arse back in the seat, knee out, shoulder down, 100% committed to corners. And now the bike is starting to behave. The reality is that Race Rep bikes are a B!tch to learn on because you have to ride them with an experienced posture and understanding of how to ride. That only comes from time in the saddle. And a more upright bike is better for getting that experience.
    At the end of the day it is your call, but I would suggest you consider the ZZR or GPX in your short list.
  10. i think my eyes are a little opened now :shock: i think i will take into consideration about the more upright posistion. but i still want fully faired... anyone got a list of LAM approved bikes that are up right but still fully faired?

suzuki gs500f?

Kawasaki zzr400

suzuki gsx650?
  11. The bigger suzuki's (eg. sv650) are an LAMS specific model. Just surf around the manufacturer's websites.

Also, the Ninja 250R is very popular and is a more upright, fully faired model. It's pretty much a new ZZR250, but good looking.
  12. I've been riding just over a week now on my beautiful 09' Ninja 250R.

For years i had wanted the notorious CBR250RR and my heart was set on it but i knew deep down in my heart that it wasn'y the smartest choice. I think your best off going and test-riding all the bikes you like and even some that you like and even some you don't at the moment. From looking at that list your price range is about 5k just make sure you factor in gear and insurance, i spent 1600 on gear and even now i know i could of bought a better jacket or boots or gloves or pants. I can highly reccomend the ninja 250, it is quite easy to ride, lots of fun through the twisties and a more upright seating position compared to the cbr and zxr. but i can say i've never heard a bad thing about the VTR250
  13. For what its worth, I started on a kwaka zxr250 and absolutely love the little thing. It comes back to what you said earlier, I'm not riding because I wanna be carefull, I'm riding because i wanna have fun and feel like a racer :p

Definitely listen to the advice that starting on a more upright, better low down power bike being the best option to improve your riding ability in a non-intimidating environment. The race reps do need to be ridden the way they were intended. However, compared to bigger sports bikes, the throttle control is far more smooth and the power doesnt really kick in until the revs are in the upper stratosphere (~10,12,13k rpm) so you can quite easily do all your basic riding and practice below that range and have a reasonably sedate bike (handling is still pure sportsbike).
    If you found that you were confident in your learners course then you may be able to handle the 4cyl 250's. I was just about exploding to get out on the road and was hanging off everywhere in my course just for fun so the idea of the zxr came quite easily. If you honestly arent up for this style of riding on the road settle on the middle ground (zzr250). No non biking person will have a clue of the difference.

As far as the cbr vs the zxr (i think i wrote a little compo about them a while ago somewhere, try search?) the cbr is far more comfy, could easily spend hours on those things while the zxr is much more racy and stretched out in its positioning but i find that helped adjusting to modern higher capacity sports bikes and gave me better knowledge of body positioning.

To me, the gpx/cb250 etc feel and handle like a dirt bike. Theyre a hell of a lot more comfy and will definitely help you learn on a more linear curve than the racereps but they dont quite give you that awesome feeling in your gut when you know your on something utterly ridiculous compared to all those people in their climate controlled cars. However, in a slightly ironic twist, the 1 and 2cyl engines lend themselves far more readily to wheelies and stunts (not that you'll be trying any of that while learning to ride....ahem :roll: )

Regardless, your gunna have a ridiculous amount of fun on any of the bikes that have been suggested as most of it is up to you and your riding style. 2cyl is a smart option, 4cyl is a i can compromise cos this thing rocks option. Once you have your wheels it WILL be the best choice in your mind and you wont give a rats arse about all those other options anyway so go nuts and pic whatever tickles your fancy.

Good luck with your selection, I hope I've confused you just that little bit more.... :wink:

p.s. no1 flame me, im on an adrenaline rush from a ride so i can't be held responsible for poor quality, length, or appropriatness of advice given :cool:
  14. p.s. my vote is for the first and last bikes (last is probably the best option) from what i remember the 'new' bactch PS got a hold of had something to do with some malasian assembly line somewhere running off a few more in the later years of its model life which were shipped over here (or something to that effect haha) which means your could be getting your hands on not only a low k bike but also something that hasnt suffered from crap rusting and drying out over the long years of storage in jap warehouses (thus the low kays of these bikes). plus 5k beats the crap out of the 5k plus import costs i had to donate to sumoto to get mine haha
  15. I cant really input much to this thread other than to say get what whichever bike you like the best. If buying bikes was all down to netrider recommendations everyone would have a vtr....
    Im no way knocking the advice here , not at all but Im glad I bought what I did. The CBR is not exactly blistering , whatever you buy , you will get used to it soon enough.

The good bit of advice I have , first hand , is that its a real buyers market out there. I bought mine in Feb after hammering away at unrealistic asking prices. Forget redbook and all that - a bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and that someone can be very choosy and very frugal during this so called "credit crunch" (copywrite sky news).

Always be mindful that its a limited market and many of the sellers need to get rid of their bikes more than you need to buy one.

Keep an eye on ebay too , loads of guys on bikesales have their bikes on ebay. Dont listen to the ebay horror stories , its no worse than purchasing from anywhere else. With ebay you can see the amount of interest a bike creates allowing you to gauge the market better.

If you have the balls for it I would start by offering the sellers of these bikes $1000 less than they are asking , then working negotiations from there.

That Lucky Strike bike has been up for sale since at least February as I remember seeing it when I was looking. I didnt look at it as red and white is a colourscheme that I could never go with.
    The guy is moving interstate - offer him 3.5 in cash and see if he says no.

For what its worth I bought mine through ebay. The guy had a 4500 reserve on it , had it on bikesales for $4800. I had a test ride and said "How about 3850 and I'll give you the cash by the weekend".

Test the resolve of these blokes , I bet most will find it hard to say no.
  16. Sitting on an old peice of buzzy shit that you paid too much for isn't a good look at all. And if you drop it, odds are a respray is probably the least of your worries.

I tried to flame you a bit there. Didn't work. Not in the zone today.
  17. Keep in mind of those 6 bikes, approx 1 MIGHT have genuine km's....
    They are all old, thrashed out bikes, with new speedo's and plastics...

I only got my L's a month ago but bought my bike a month before that, So i've gone through this phase very recently. I really did want a RR or ZXR... but after inspecting them, they are just so so expensive for what they actually are.

They are 20yr old bikes.... they have been through that many different hands its not funny, they are sought after by learner riders, so somewhere along the line there is the chance of someone doing dodgy maintenance because they don't know exactly what they are doing. They can be very unreliable due to the age of everything, particularly electrics.

It all weighed up, as much as I wanted a sporty ( as sport as a 250 can get, which isn't very) first bike, I ended up getting a much newer ZZR 250 that was immaculate (not just plastics, but mechanically...) for a significantly lower cost.

As someone else mentioned too, you do look like a bit of a toss when your thrashing the tits off a 250RR and are getting passed by a Camry in the lane next to you... May aswell just wait till you've got your fulls and do it properly
  18. There is a lot of 250 RR jealously in this tread.

Just face the facts people. Most of you are not cool enough to own possibly the greatest motorcycle known to man. Esspecially QuarterWit, I dont even know if your cool enough to ride your POS single around... :cool:
  19. pffft the 250rrrrrrrrrrr was the only honda i have ever ridden with any guts! im with you on this one mike!
  20. My first bike I choose to ride straight off and learn from is the CBR400RR and so far since I've gotten my license its a breeze to ride a sports bike not hard at all maybe at first your posture might kill ya but your body adapts to it. Difference for me between naked and sports is U-turns being much harder but more practice = easy u-turns. Dropping it and repairing it isn't such a big deal because my heart was set on getting a sports bike then upgrading to a super sports bike and I think its just easier to learn it that way since I'm never going to get a naked bike.

With a RR they don't lose much value at all compared to other sports brand bikes in the 250 range I know all of my mates who have sold it and basically got the money they paid for it in the first place and regardless of how old the bike is it will eventually still sell to any L-plater.