Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

first bike drop after a week

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by toisanact, Apr 4, 2011.

1. i just bought my honda 2011cbr250r last tuesday and dropped it kind of 2day pushing it along my house into the back..

we dont have a driveway..its like a walkway with grass.. ITS SO STUPID.. im gona tell my parents to concrete that whole section..u can see its half grass and half concrete, barely any room for her to go through-___-''

anyway IM STUPID, i tried to rev up the incline and floor was WET and TILE and she slipped and fell over slowly, i was too weak to stop her going, i had to yell "DAD" for him to help me get her up again

slight damage at the bottom, lucky there was a bucket where she fell so it broke the fall.. (does comprehensive insurance cover this? anyway im sad)

Attached Files:

2. That sux mate. I hate banging up new things!

Even if insurance did cover this, paying the excess most likely would not be worth it.
  3. if thats all it is damage wise, why bother with insurance, its a small scratch
  4. Don't call the insurance co. They'll write it off.
  5. Get some touch up paint and do it your self,
  6. Chin up toisanact, I know where you're coming from, I too did this in my first week of riding, although in slightly different (and drier) conditions.

Banged her up pretty bad, cracked the fairing and dented the exhaust. Your bike seems to have suffered some minimal damage - it could've been worse! Although yours is brand new so I can imagine how you'll be feeling for a while. Don't worry, you'll learn to love every scratch, dent and crack on your bike.

In the meantime, keep those buckets lying around just in case.
  7. Dude your too weak to lift a 250?

Time to hit the gym... Seriously!

What happens when you drop it at the lights, no ones going to help you, are you going to leave it there LOL
  8. lol I was gonna post in the other thread sweet bike, now with a scratch it's not so sweet. Just kidding!

If the only damage was just that small scratch don't worry about it. The underside of the bike especially where you got the scratch is bound to pick up nicks and scratches from loose gravel.

Chin up and learn from it.
  9. Mate that's tiny. In a few months you'll have a whole underside that looks like that from general riding. You won't be able to tell the drop scratch from the others.

Also, before I bought my bike, my boss who rides a scooter told me "get one with scratches, because car drivers are jerks, and will knock your bike over and drive away, because they know it's expensive to fix". Said he'd had his knocked over many times.

Don't claim it on insurance. Black nail polish.

More importantly, you should be able to lift it on your own, without much straining. What if you're tired, away from home, noone's around, and you drop it? Or if you drop it on a road, after a blind corner? You can't stand there protecting it, you'd have to leave it, and it would probably get cleaned up. You really want to be able to lift it, for safety's sake. (Actually, they should probably teach this at the pre-learners, come to think of it).

Don't mean to sound faux-macho or anything here, but you should join a gym or buy a bar and practice these twice a week.
  10. double post.
  11. Bikes can fall in an awkward manner, you could be tired, or you might not be in a good position.

I even had trouble trying to hold up a 126kg bike at the petrol station with uneven ground last week. Its very easy to do after stepping off after a 5 hours ride, sore muscles everywhere, and numb hands (seriously I couldnt feel anything).

Seriously dont bother with insurance if thats all there is. Touch up paint and a few TLC. Gravel and maybe a few more drops would most likely happen in her life, the important thing is that your ok, your learning and hopefully dont drop your (post restriction) expensive bike :).
  12. Bummer - but as others have said, chin up.

Better that drop than at 60km/h in a tight corner.....
  13. And this is a good lesson to other 1st timers, buy a 2nd hand bike, buying new, you baby it to much and don't learn much about riding, all your worried about is not scratching your bike, get some points up your sleeve first then buy a new bike
  14. another good lesson, don't try to travel across wet tiles...

don't you have enough trouble walking across it when you're not pushing a bike??

if you have to, put down some dry rubber or wait till it dries or get a second pair of hands before you attempt it.

other than that, sorry to hear you scratched your new baby.
  15. As someone who bought a brand-new bike, I totally agree with everything you stated (y)
  16. Mate, don't worry about the gym. Picking up any bike is more about technique than strength. If no-ones ever shown you, you can be forgiven for not being able to do it.

Stand to the side of the bike facing the top of the tank. Turn the bars so the front wheel is facing into the ground, squat, grab both bars, hold the front brake on and lift. Make sure you use your legs and not your back!

As for the scratches, you'll be over that in a week, won't affect how it rides so crack on with enjoying it.
  17. A video guide to lifting a dropped bike.
  18. I'm sure this has been posted before, and there are a million videos on this, but, since it's come up, this may be worth watching: (of course, if your bike fell with the bars towards the wall, as I suspect might've been the case for the OP, then it would be harder to do this).

19. If you REALLY want, pass by a/few motorcycle crash repair garages.
    It might cost next to nothing (in comparison) to get it touched up professionally. Otherwise mate, as others have stated, touch it up yourself.

It does suck when a new item receives its first blemish. In no time, you'll have her looking/feeling new again.

Personally, fitness-wise (only coz of others' posts relating to this), I find if you can do at least 20 chin-ups, where in essence you're lifting your entire weight with your two arms, then you'd be ready to pick up/manoeuvre most bikes...though, again a certain technique is available (try a search here and/or youtube) on how to effortlessly pick up a dropped bike.

Best of luck bud.

PS - What do you know ? jd/minglis have been kind enough to provide the youtube links above - very valuable.
  20. haha.. damn it jd, you beat me to it!