Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike - Bought a horny Hornet 250

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by jisk, Apr 6, 2009.

1. After months of deliberation, half a dozen test rides, and harassing the wife, I finally got my first bike - a 1996 Honda Hornet 250. I was tossing up between this and a VTR250.

It revs like a dream and feels absolutely planted on the road. I just love the 180 wide rear tyre. It's red with yellow rims on the wheels.

The bike felt like it had much more usable power than a CBR250RR, and felt like it was better at motorway speeds than a VTR250 (from my perception, anyway).

The only problem? It's still at the dealer, pick it up tomorrow! I'll post piccies up then ;)

2. Congrats on the new bike :) Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing about the rides to come.

3. congrats on the bike mate :D hope it lasts you for as long as you need it!

4. PICS :LOL:

Seeing as its got the same engine as the cibby, its going to be a heck of a lot of fun.

5. This bike is SO much fine. I took the long way home from the dealership - was about to turn into my street, looked at the trip counter - 22km - and decided I didn't want to get off the bike yet. Took the bike for a spin through some country roads before I came home - 40km. Then went out again 15 minutes later for another blat, so I've already done 62km and starting to feel really familiar with it.

When I test rode it, I never took it above about 9k. I've taken it up to 12k now - wow. It just starts to SCREAM and pull like mad! And it redlines at 16k!

Okay, okay, I promised pics :grin: :grin: Here are some taken from my phone. Not the best quality but you can see the shininess of the bike. It is a really deep red.

gxJaQRJ.

gxJGBji.

gxJGDOr.

gxJaYl9.

6. You've done well there jisk, she looks a beauty. Bet you're struggling to remove that smile off your face. Ride on, stay safe and have a shedload of fun.

7. Sexy! Hey who can blame you for taking the 'long way home' ;)

8. damnit whered did you find a 250 hornet in brisbane?
    ive been looking for agesss

i ended up with the vtr250, nice bike... really wanted a hornet sigh

nice bike btw hehe :)

9. Nice bike jisk !
    Congrats and safe riding mate.

10. They are damn hard to find up here, that's for sure. I bought mine from the new KTM shop on Moss St. Great guys there. I also looked at one down at Hinterland Motorcycles on the GC, had a ride of that but some other bloke bought it!

If you do end up looking for one, talk with Hinterland Motorcycles, they might be able to source one from down south somewhere.

11. LOL @ me, I meant FUN. Not FINE. But it is also so much fine. :LOL: :LOL:

12. Beautiful looking bike well done.
    The Hornet is on my short list when the time comes to buy a bike.

13. Congrats !!!
    They are a great bike. I did 18,000k on mine, all trouble-free.

14. Thanks guys.

Hey, just wanted to give a plug to KTM Brisbane on Moss St, where I bought the bike. The guys there have been nothing short of great. Today a mate and I were inspecting the bike and noticed that the front brake light was not triggering - on closer inspection the switch unit was stuffed.

Long story short, went back to KTM, and the guys gave me a new switch unit with a smile. 2 minutes later it was on the bike and working fine. Good guys, and new on the Moss St strip.

In other news... also adjusted the preload from 60kg-japanese-man to 83-kg-australian and it feels a lot smoother. The only thing that made me get off it today was sort feet from wearing my new boots in!