Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike as a learner...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Darin, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Hey all, new to the site although have been browsing the last couple months. Allot of helpful info on here, thank you!! Well i picked her up a couple days ago, havent taken her on the road yet but hopefully on Sunday i can go out and have a cruise around the block. As seems like most learners or newbies im pretty nervous too...

A Pic:
    Would post one if i could, check out my garage....

One question i have is after i brought the bike home on the trailer i unloaded it and i thought i could smell fuel, didnt/cant see any leaking but when i felt the front right shock appears to have allot of oil around it and some on the front right disk. Anybody know what this could be? A faulty seal possibly? Does it happen often?

Cheerz
    Daz

2. Sounds like fork oil from a stuffed fork seal - common problem on older bikes due to perished rubber or corrosion on the forks. If the oil's getting onto the rotor you need to be careful - it can soak into the brake pads and stuff them.
    You'll want to get a can of brake cleaner from an auto store to get the stuff of your rotors - then you'll need to look at replacing the seals (you can ride a bike without any fork oil, but it's not recommended ;)).
    If you brought it from a dealer take it back and insist they fix it free of charge.

3. hmm bought the bike private as is... Would you have any idea on the cost of the repair? Would i need it repaired for a road worthy? I would think so but you never know...

Cheers

4. Don't know what a shop charges but it would be a cheap fix if you can turn a spanner. Download a workshop manual and assess your own capability.
    Yes, absolutely, without a question. A fork seal leaking oil onto your brake rotor is a definate fail. :)

5. + 1 to changing it yourself. Don't ride it till the fork seals and oil has been changed. I've never changed fork oil myself before but I've got a service manual so I'm going to have a crack at doing mine soon. If you get yourself a manual and have some patience I'm sure you'll be able to do your own.

Make sure the forks are in great condition though. They should be all shiny and smooth with no nicks or scratches. If they aren't that'll need to be fixed.

With a bike as old as yours it's going to need things done to it here and there so you might as well start now.

6. Jump in there and do it yourself.

It will be good knowledge to have later on in your riding life.

Great bike, and seems like a good price that you paid for it too.

Fix it, ride it, and ride inside your limits. Your guaranteed to have fun.