Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike and no previous experience!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by jamesn41, Jul 14, 2016.

1. G'day Netrider!

Just thought I'd finally post a little something as I've read a lot of posts but haven't posted myself yet.

As the title suggests, I've had no prior experience riding to purchasing my first bike bar the 2 day learner course at Hart Somerton.

I ended up deciding on a 2016 CBR650F due to a few different reasons and am completely happy with it so far. Bought it from Peter Stevens Melbourne. If anyone is going to buy a bike there, hit up Darren Azzopardi. He was the most helpful and friendly out of all the sales staff, spent plenty of time over a few weeks taking to him and asking him various questions before finally deciding on a bike, never pressured me into anything.

Attended the netrider Saturday that just went last weekend behind the BP in Elwood for a couple hours and it was awesome to meet some people and have a putt around the cones haha.

Overall, just really enjoying learning to ride and experiencing all the roads I've traveled on countless times in a new light.

Hope to see more of you guys out there, cheers!
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Congrats on your purchase James and welcome to Netrider.

Hoping to see you on a ride some day(y)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome . Enjoy your ride, but be careful out there!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome aboard :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gday jamesn41jamesn41 congrats on your new ride and your first NR post - enjoy!

get some more posts under your belt then get some pics up of that new beast of yours.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome, post some pics of your bike when you can.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome to NR...

Elwood rocks... ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Welcome !!!

What made you go for the CBR ?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Welcome to NR:)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Good job mate, welcome!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Welcome to the nuthouse mate
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Welcome, this is a great place :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Welcome aboard mate
    • Like Like x 1
  14. That looks like a great bike to start on, welcome.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Hey mate, I went for the CBR for a few reasons.

One is that I'm about 188cm tall and weigh about 110kg and after riding the cb125s at the learner course I felt they were too small. So I figured that the 250s and 300s would be about the same.

Two was that being on restrictions for this long now, I wanted to get a bike that I would be able to keep for a while and hopefully after my restrictions too!

In regards to the other bigger lams bikes like the street triple and mt07 I just hadn't seen many cbr650s out there and wanted to be different haha.

And overall, after looking at a bunch of different bikes, I just really liked the way the cbr looked and I just found myself wanting it more than any of the other bikes.

Hopefully that answers your question!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Thanks everyone else for the welcome! I really wasn't expecting so many replies on the post, really cool community here
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hello James
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Welcome!
    I was in a similar position a few months ago.
    Tried the CB650F and ended up with an MT07.
    You'll enjoy it either way :)
    • Like Like x 1