Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike advice

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by miltons, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hi I'm looking at my purchasing my first bike and am unsure of what to look at. I've been reading up on various forums and websites about good beginner bikes and the large variety is rather daunting. I need a bike suitable for a learner driver, I'm 6'2 (~188cm) and weigh around 90kg. I'm after a bike up to 4k, maybe 5k if it's really worth it. I don't want anything too powerful, I just want a nice looking, easy to use/handle bike. Any advice into what bikes I should look at would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. You're restricted to 250cc right? Maybe a Hornet 250?
  3. No, not only 250's. Some LAM's bike are 600's..

OP - Do you prefer the Naked of Fairing look of a bike? Ninja 250 could be a good to look at.

Maybe even a Suzuki GS500?

CB400 is somewhere in between.
  4. The LAMS thing is all about power to weight ratio. So you can have a 650 if it's a big heavy lump! There's a lot to be said for putting a learner on a solid 650 that just chugs along with a wide powerband and plenty of acceleration in reserve than a twitchy 125 or worse that's always red lining.

Personally I am loving my old BMW R65. You can pick them up around 4k or less if you're lucky/prepared to get some work done. At your size you'll have no trouble manouvering it. And it's not going to scare you when you give it some stick.