Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bike, 250 CC's ? Lower?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by climbo, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Thinking about the first bike, I figured a 250CC bike would be good enough to start on and keep me going for a while just to go to work and back (about 25kms a day). The wife wants me to get the smallest possible bike so it has no power and can't go fast (she'd be happier with a scooter) but I haven't been keen on that. I would figure that you need some power to be able to keep up with traffic / accelerate quickly when needed... basically I'm trying to justify a better bike that I can grow in to. Does this sound reasonable? Basically I'm looking for any serious advice on what NOT to get. Ta.

2. Most people start on a 250. You have to revv the crap out of them to get power, meaning its not going to intimidate you if you yank on the throttle. I would stay away from anything less than a 250 as your first bike, as you'll just get frustrated with the lack of power quickly, and regret it.

Go the 250.

3. If you plan on doing anything even remotely close to 100kph then a decent 250 is the absolute minimum you'll need - and even then you'll most likely find yourself wishing for more (usually about the same time some f-wit in a 4wd decides they want to be in your lane).

4. Go for an old CB250 - comfortable, reliable, easy to get rid of later and also cheap to buy and run. Got mine for $1,000 and it has that classic appeal.....

5. Might help if we knew what state your in and your approx size.
    Do you like faired or naked? Budget inc insurance and gear?

6. NSW, budget of around $5,000
    naked looks cool, but what's better?
    183cm tall, 75kgs.
    37 years old, bicycle rider for 20 years.

7. Depends on how much your wife knows about bikes for how much you can get away with! But yeah, 250s are, by nature, lower powered bikes. I'd be telling your wife, quite legitimately, that you definitely need some power as backup in case someone comes looming up behind you, or you need to get away from the idiots once the lights go green... whatever the situation, it's definitely nice to have more than you need. Even if you want to go to the country and overtake someone doing 90km/hr in 100km/hr zone. You want to be on the opposite side of the road for as little time as possible and you can't do that on a very low powered machine.

Any of the 250 bikes should be able to get you out of similar trouble. The CB would have less up and go, but that might be an attraction for your wife. There are also 250 scooters, but if you want a bike and your wife thinks they're more dangerous... if they can go the same speed, you can come off just the same. The thing you can control is your visibility with color and road position, manouverability (can do that more with gears), bike skill, attitude, etc.

Go and sit on a few 250s to see what feels good for you. Do you feel better leaning forwards/upright/backwards, with fairings/naked, solid footing when you're at the lights or sitting tall to see over cars?... I think that the main thing is you're comfortable. That way you'll be able to use the controls more easily to get out of any nasty situations.

I started on an Across coz I liked faired, but didn't want too much power. I learnt a lot on it. I then got my current bike, the BabyBlade which has it's benefits too, like being easier to manouver and having more footing, but it also has more power. So depends on what you want and what feels right.

8. I recommend a 250, anything less and you'll be frustrated with its lack of power in about 2 days.

for $5000 you could get yourself a Honda VTR 250. Great bike.

9. You can get into trouble on something that has very little or no power (push bike) on the road. You can sometimes get out of trouble with power. My experience is that most learners who have an incident, it is not power related, more often misjudging speed into a corner, inattention to dangers and conditions, lack of planning... the list goes on... All of which you could do on a scoot...
    K

10. Is your wife trying to KILL you?...
    Suggesting that you get as slow a bike as possible sure sounds like it!

You don't need to justify getting a bike that has a little more power... That's a legitimate requirement!. Without enough power to allow you some in reserve, you are asking for trouble. Sure...no need to go a buy a Litre bike, but it would be just as dangerous to go and buy an under powered bike as well...especially if you are heavier than the average japanese rider. :grin:

Pick a bike that is the right "size" physically for you, or as close as you can get, and make sure it has enough power to at least allow you to keep up with the flow of traffic and allow you some in reserve for overtaking/escaping trouble.
    John.

11. I'm thinking GPX (faired) VTR/Bandit (naked) Try them on.
    You could go a LAMS bike in NSW and you may never need to upgrade if it does what you need.

12. Coming from another noob, I can tell you that the 250 is NOT too powerful. I don't ride for the love of it, I ride for practical reasons (dem swearwords in these parts! :wink: ) and ride a 250. I doubt I will ever be in much of a hurry to upgrade (unusual, yes), but the 250 is certainly not too powerful for a beginner, its perfect. If you make a mistake (and believe me, I've made a few!), its not going to shoot out from under you or do crazy stuff, but it has just enough get up and go to.... well, get up and go when you need it to. I wouldn't get on anything less powerful, especially not for commuting, which is what I do.

13. :oops: and i'm begging for more power on a 250...

Just to keep me out of trouble!! of course...

For $5000 you can pick up a very decent VTR250 privately. I can highly recommend the VTR, being on my 2nd :LOL: . They're bloody great learner bikes, comfortable, lightish, very very maneuverable, lovely in the twisty bits too! Where abouts in Sydney are you mate?

Naked bikes look great and are cheaper to repair if you drop one. Faired bikes offer more protection from the elements. What type of riding will you bed doing mainly?

Don't forget to budget around $1000 or more for gear. Perhaps take your wife gear shopping with you? so she can see that you're serious about your safety. I know that helped with my better half... and now she's getting herself a bike! :grin:

14. Being in NSW and with a 5k budget you might be better off looking instead at a 2nd hand Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki ER-5. They're no more powerful than a 250 but what they do offer is more torque - which means more acceleration when you need it and without having to madly shuffle down a couple of gears to get anything to happen. Plus they'll generally cost a lot less to run than a high-revving 250 - both in fuel and maintenance.

15. A Lack of power does not make you safer. It puts your safety in the hands of others, because you are unable to proactively chose where you place your self relative to traffic.

Also note, as a cyclist that you have that same risk. You can’t keep up with traffic (When it is flowing) and as such are at far greater risk from the stupidity of others.

With 250cc under you and the ability to keep up with or exceed (when necisary0 the traffic around you. you take a lot of the risk out of the hands of others and put it where you have greater control

16. That 5K would also buy you a decent second-hand GS500, and I think it would be worth considering. I'd say, take advantage of LAMS and get a bike that isn't any more of a handful than 250s, but it does offer more useful torque - it is learner-approved, so it can't be all that bad... that's if you need to explain to your wife!

Then again, it depends on your requirements. If those 25kms you'll be doing are in the city and don't include any open roads 250cc might be perfectly adequate for you, like it is for me. You might also want to read through the thread about the new Sachs 150cc.

But GS500 would be my recommendation. It will work as a beginners' bike and as a commuter yet will give you that little bit of room to grow you wouldn't get from a 250cc or less.

17. You could also get really lucky and find a 650 Bros. Forgetting the name :LOL: they're like a big Spada...a big powerful just as sexy Spada. I think they're only learner legal as a technicality.

What you need to do is sit on a kabillion bikes, ride a few, and find one that just feels right....then come back and ask if there are any reasons not to go for it. It's been said before, but it doesn't matter which is the best bike on paper, for the learner bikes the best one is whichever one is best for you.

18. No they're learner legal because they had a very low-power engine (around 50hp) - it's also the reason they never sold many. It's basically the same as the NTV650 Revere that was sold here officially, which in itself is just a naked Deauville.

19. Either that's just not right, or the torque more than makes up for lacking top end :LOL: Search for Bros:

http://user.wazamono.jp/kasokusure/E-index.html