Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First 'big' ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Melbgirl, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Well yesterday hubby and I took my first 'big' ride into the Dandenongs. When i say 'big' .. it wasn't a 400km trip or anything like that, but for me it was huge!!!

I followed him so that I could copy his lines through the corners and by the time we had left the mountain, I was feeling like I really did 'get it' and wanted to head back up the top and give my new skills a go!

I have clocked up just under 300kms in my first 5 days of riding and yesterday was by far the most comfortable I have felt. Even though I was probably only 'just' leaning the bike over, to me it felt like I was almost horizontal!!!!! Such a new and exciting experience.

I am amazed at how quickly you actually learn on the bike and learn what to do and definitely what 'not' to do. My gear changes are so much smoother now and I'm learning to throttle on quicker than what I was doing. My bike is brand new and after reading the manual I was worried about over revving her .... but just a few hints from the husband and now I actually reach the speed limit and not hold up traffic in half the time!! :grin:

So ... the verdict after almost 1 week on the bike........... totally awesome!! :grin: :grin:

2. Way to Go Melbgirl !!!!
    Gotta love a couple that ride together
    Unfortunately my wife is a bit hesitant in becoming a rider, So I hope to have my sweetheart as my pillion on some rides. ( When I'm off restrictions that is )
    :wink:

3. Well done Melbgirl!

you know, the big rides are fun, but I reckon the best learning experiences are from the short rides around suburbia. Lots of gear changes, lane changes, traffic lights, slow/very slow riding etc etc.

Get in as much time doing these rides to build up your skills and awareness. Not the best time of year to do so admittedly, so take advantage of any good weather that you can.

4. Well done hon! *hugz* :grin:

You did a HELL of a lot better than I did when I first started riding Peaches. Just remember to take it easy and not to rush things! And remember... oil + wet = disaster.

It's great that your hubby is giving you good lines, that's the best way to learn I reckon. Soon you'll be scraping your pegs through corners and screaming "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" on bigger rides! Which is precisely what I'm doing now! :p

Have fun!

xo
    R

5. Puts my effort to shame, I barely got above 60k's of riding the first week :oops:

The bug has bitten you hard, welcome to the twisties. Bet you look at roundabouts in a different light now :)

6. That's a GREAT idea, mate...if the Wife does'nt wanna come out and play, just take your girlfriend!?...Sorted! :LOL: :LOL: :wink: :p

John.

7. Way to go melbgirl!!

Isnt it great to be out riding with your hubby??

I think the best thing we did for our marriage was share an interest in the majority of our hobbies and bikes being a huge hobby now :cool:

Tracey