Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First bbrrrrr ride for a long time ......

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by hornet, Jun 10, 2012.

1. I needed to be in Goulburn for a church service at 10:00am Sunday so why not go for a ride on Saturday afternoon after a family birthday party, and stay over the night in, say, Canberra, and then ride back to Goulburn on Sunday morning??? Sure, let's, and let's ignore the fact that STARTING a ride at that time of the afternoon on the second weekend of June means the warmest weather of the day has already passed. Yes, let's do that too :LOL:

By the time I'm carving along the boring Lake George section I'm getting chilly, even with the benefit of several layers of clothing and Oxford heated grips. It's about 5:20 pm and the sun has already dipped below the horizon and I'm arguing with myself about whether or not I'll stop and change my Polaroids for my normal specs. Suddenly I pass a sign; "Stop, Revive, Survive, free cuppa, 2 kms". Decision made; I can have a cuppa and change my glasses. Except ...

As I pull to a stop the lights on the caravan go out, and a friendly traveller says, "Sorry, mate, they close up at 5:00". I know these things are staffed by volunteers but don't people need to stop, revive and survive after 5:00pm?

Anyway only a few cold kays into the Motel on the outskirts of Canberra. Except the switch on the Oxfords seems not to want to work. But on balance, the nice concierge allows me to park the bike under the awning directly outside the window of the room, instead of out in the cold and the frost of the carpark (y).

SLEPT IN, bed too warm and comfortable, I woke up at 8:30!! Dress in record time after a quick glimpse through the curtains and a quick 'thank God' for clear blue skies. The grass is crackly cold but I don't have time to admire it. Fuel up at the garage near the motel and hit the road. This is going to be chilly, but easy. Except that at Lake George a thick fog descends and lasts all the way to Goulburn, compounding the cold. Once again Oxfords prove their worth; I have found that I can switch them on with my gloves OFF but the switch is just a bit too difficult with them on. I arrive safely and slightly damp with a quarter of an hour to spare.

My 'stay-warm' formula for this trip?

Starting from the top.

Netrider neck warmer
    Bonds singlet.
    Long-sleeved skivvie
    My dress leather jacket (so I had something vaguely 'dress' on for preaching at church :LOL:)
    My seven year old MotoDry winter jacket, with its winter liner zipped in.
    Long compression pants
    Custom-made hand-knitted knee-warmers (actually since the cover from the top of my socks to most of my thigh, more leg-warmers)
    Draggin Jeans
    Explorer socks
    Dri-Rider Nordic waterproof (yes, they really are) boots...
    RJays Black Ice gloves, the jewel in the crown, seriously GREAT cold weather hand protection

And, of course, my steely resolve and manly disposition :rofl:

Works for me...
  2. Yikes!

Nice story, but puts me in mind of my days starting work at 5am or earlier on the depths of winter.

Good to know nothing can keep a rider from his/her bike.
  3. I'm loving my electrically heated jacket liner and gloves at the moment, they bring warmth to otherwise bone-chilling conditions. I don't understand why this isn't a more popular setup here, the addition of the liner allows my summer riding gear to serve all year round.

Picked up a set of Dainese Jericho winter gloves out of bargain bin in a US bike store a couple of weeks ago (mid-summer buying makes for cheap winter gear) and I've not had to use the heated liners with them yet.
  4. Oh yea its getting cold for sure, on saturday night i rode to the pub wearing a shirt and jeans and a very thick woollen coat, was a short ride and couldnt wear a textile jacket into the pub so i had to squid in the wool coat (not that much of a squid TBH).

Anyway was all good until the night took a few random turns and i ended up at my mates in killara at about 3am in the rain and freezing cold wearing no water proof gear and with a wet helmet as i had left it on the hook with the visor open so the rain had pooled.

Was a very uncomfortable ride home, the wool jacket stopped NONE of the wind, im considering using it as a summer jacket it moved so much air, even though i normally only wear this coat in negative temps as its too bulky otherwise, i was ****ing freezing.
  5. Welcome to Canberra my man......and it's only the start of winter.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hornet, I just ordered a set of Oxford heated grips. Not only was I too tight in the past, but clearly I never really felt enough of a need to motivate me, despite regularly riding the Calder from Bendigo to Melbourne in the winter dark. And that was in my 1970s gauntlets! But as of last winter, and I see it happening this one without the right...cough...comforts, it just seems so painful and unmotivating. Is this a sign that I'm not longer in my 20s? Does it get better from here?

I must say, I got a big serious bomber jacket a few years ago, fully lined in lambs wool. It's amazing how adequate this old-fashioned bit of kit is - I really do not suffer at all in my torso regardless of how cold it is and how long I have to ride in that cold. The second it warms up slightly, mind you, I'm perspiring.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I know what you mean; back in the 80s I rode all year round in Canberra; of course I was younger and tougher then and heated grips hadn't been invented :LOL:

Hey, matt, I reckon all manufacturers should fit heated grips as standard; I don't get the 'I'm big and tough and I don't need them' schtick. I reckon they are a safety feature.
  8. Sounds like the time I decided to ride to the snowfields from Sydney leaving at 5am one July morning. I had a naked SV at the time without heated grips and it was very, very COLD. I had to brush the ice off me every time I refueled. I found the balaclava and scarf to be the key to staying warm and alert.

About 7am, I pulled into a rest stop and was met by a vintage car club (Austins I think?) consisting of about 6 convertibles, all out for a brisk morning drive and all with the roof lowered and wife riding shotgun. It was reassuring to see someone else as crazy as me on the roads, and also reassuring to read that Hornet and others are doing it too!
  9. I certainly agree about safety - I know I turn brain dead when I get cold enough (Last winter I rolled into Ballarat in such a brain-dead state, and a TV crew came up to me and interviewed me regarding some motorcycle safety issue and played it on the news that night. If I'd had heated grips I might have said something coherent - heated grips would have served the safety of us all!). Nor do I understand the HTFU attitude about heated grips - I ride for pleasure, don't others?

Takamii, when are your lambswool bomber jackets coming out?
  10. #10 peter-reebok, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Was certainly cold in fern tree gully this morning.
    Have a party in pakenham tonight. My oxfords even get turned up when it is this cold.
    Don't see why you wouldn't have em. Pretty handy being able to move your fingers.

11. Yes, it's damnably cold here now and we can look forward to several more months of it. I tend to leave home at 0630, so when it really cools down it's not completely shocking to see the bike bleating that it's -8 to -10C.

My routine when the cold really hits is:
    • 2 x Neck warmers
    • T-shirt
    • Long sleeved thermal
    • Shirt
    • 100% wool jumper
    • Leather jacket
    • Silk glove liners
    • Alpinestars 365 gloves
    • Wool leg warmers
    • Leather pants
    • 2 x wool socks
    • BMW waterproof boots

If it's wet, I naturally enough throw on over jacket and pants.

Completely agree on the heated grips, it'd be miserable this time of year without them.

I do have a ute with a heater in it, but where's the challenge in that?
  12. Nothing like a little ice and snow...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm reminded of my old CZ with the ripped seat, combined with the coldest winter the UK had seen for years. My morning ride to work would see me sitting on an ice block which would, by the time I arrived, have taken on the frozen imprint of my buttocks. Having no means of drying out the foam (house had no heating that I could afford) this continued for 2 months.
  14. I was going to say, I draw the line at that, but I have once or twice been caught in those sort of conditions; thankfully NOT last weekend :LOL:

Pat I shivered just reading that.....
  15. Good story Hornet,carnt beat a good ride`
  16. cold + distance= frozen

Anyone else ever been stuck to the bike? I mean legs just don`t work, Feet stuck to the pegs. But you can still shift and brake.

Comes as a complete shock when in neutral and thinking your going to be putting the stand down to fuel up , Next thing you and the bike are leaning on the petrol bowser

I now all ways check my lower limbs are in working order before stopping when forced to cold weather ride.