Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First almost collision...

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by sheeped, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Had a car merge into my lane without indicating at all then slam the brakes seconds before i was about to pass it, had the back wheel sliding everywhere and somehow the bike stalled D: Then as if nothing happened she accelerated back up to the speed limit -_-
    I was doing 80c and she was doing about half that when she cut in front, i think im lucky i didnt hit her. Im guessing she wanted to do a uturn and had no idea i was near her!

Heading north, i jumped in the right lane because she just came out of the bp and was in the left lane. That link shows where she tried to u turn before going straight ahead instead.

2. FYI,
    Locking up the back wheel with the bike in gear will always cause it to stall, because when in gear if rear wheel speed = 0, then engine speed = 0, which = stall.

All you need to do is release the rear brake while still moving and the wheel will turn the engine over and start the bike again.
    Or better still avoid it in the first place by pulling the clutch in when braking hard (this will take the bike out of gear), when there's possibility of locking up the rear and improve your braking technique so you don't lock it up in the first place.

Try attending one of the Saturday learner sessions where the more experienced can point you in the right direction on proper E-Braking technique.
  3. SMIDSY, by the sound of it. Inexcusable, but it happens.
  4. No big deal. More of a lesson for your riding technique, tan anything else.
    You must practice your skills (as suggested earlier)

What you should be doing us looking for an 'out', by filtering.