Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Aid - Motorcycle Accident - important link

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by uncosnail, Aug 2, 2009.

1. http://www.molenda.com/accident.html

Having only been riding since February and having now attended 3 (serious accidents) and (2 non serious accidents) on group rides, thought I would post this link. Found it very handy and very useful. Might save someone's life one day and further complicating injuries.

Starting to feel like the clean up crew.
  2. I know how you feel, I come across them just randomly! Picked up a few poor buggers after a fall. I had one poor bloke, was approaching a roundabout and he was sprawled over both lanes. The prick in the cage in front of me just drove around him!!! Couldn't believe it!!
  3. I also can't believe how some people in the same group just ride past, and other people, who are in occupations with high first aid qualifications don't come back and help!!!!

I think you really need at least 4 helpers at accidents. A couple to do traffic, one person to flag down a motorist for information about where the hell you are, someone else to ring emergency services, and whoever else needs to be rung. I also think the TEC needs the group leaders mobile phone number. Also someone to get the bike and rider (if safe ) off the road.
  4. Hey I had a Ducati rider ride around me when I was sliding along Bridge Rd.

The girl that stopped to help me was a long lost friend, her norks were as I remembered them..........H U G E :grin:
  5. Did that make the crash worth it? :)
  6. At least you remember the important details.

I got over a fear of needles because when I was a teen the chick taking blood had a huge rack and lent forward and I got a touch. ow I don't have an issue.

What was this topic about?
  7. Absolutely no idea. Something about accidents with boobs.
  8. It's funny in surfers when you see scooters crashing because the rider is perving.
  9. Cant find it anywhere now, but there was a pick of a guy who crashed his porsche into a railing while he was watching a woman.
  10. Thats a good read.
    Being a first aid instructor, first aider and ex-rescuer i agree wth alot of what is written. There's only one or two points that need to be updated

1. No need to take the pulse straight away theres 4 ways to check for signs of life 1.Normal Breathing 2. Movement 3. Response and 4. Conscious. If the person is doing one of these things they must be alive,
    and he easiest way to check these?.......Talk to them, if they talk beck this is a good thing

2. He's spot on about shock, it is lethal and so must be taken seriously. There are two things that need to be altered, another sign of shock is nausia so beware that the rider with their helmet on may vomit witch may compromise the airway.
    The other is a very minor thing The Australian Resuscitation Council have just ammended the treatment for shock and that is there is no need to raise the legs.
    Sometimes a person might not have any outward signs of bleeding so checking the pulse, for someone suspected of internal bleeding, can be a good indicator. Count the pulse for 30 secs then double it theres the casualties pulse rate for you, repeat this every few minutes and if the pulse rate is going up with each count start treating the person for shock. If your unsure, treat them for shock.

The most important things to remember are
    1. Your brain will turn to sh!t for about 10 -20 secs, this is normal its just the adrenalin kicking in.
    2. The casualties airway takes precedence over every other injury - no airway = dead, simple.

Hope this helps.
  11. If this is the case, what's the best course of action?
    Helmet isn't meant to be taken off by anyone other then a trained medical person.
  12. If they're about to vomit open the visor, then you don't need to take the helmet off.

If they're going into shock let them lie down and elevate their legs.

EDIT: It was mentioned earlier that recent research says that there is no need to elevate the casualties legs, how recent is this? The St. Johns first aid course I did this year told us to elevate legs.

Either way, call 000, they can talk you through first aid.
  13. If the person is conscious leave the helmet on. The helmet only needs to be removed if the airway is compromised ie they stop breathing, they vomit and suck some it into their airway etc.
    The helmet can be removed if needed, but it takes two people to do it safely, this doesnt meen that if your the only one there to help and the airway is compremised do what you have to do. Firstly check to see if its a flip face , you may not need to take it off, der..... it may also be a good idea to undo the straps.
    One person sits inline with the riders head (recuer 1), the other (rescuer 2) sits beside the rider facing rescuer number 1.
    The rescuer holding the helmet (1) is going to remove the helmet by grabbing the straps and pulling outwards and slowly slides the helmetup and off. The whole time this is happening rescuer 2 places their hends either side of the riders face and follows the helmet up the head. As the helmet comes off No1 takes all control off the head being extra carefull not to let go of the head so as to stop the head from dropping or twisting.

Remember- the person who is holding the head now ones the head, they must not let go.

Remember - In an unconscious victim, care of the airway takes precedence over any injury.

Reference: www.resus.org.au/
  14. The Australian Resus Council changed the guidlines in February 2009 but its only just now being picked up by first aid providers now.

And your absolutely right, call 000 or on a mobile 112 and they will walk you through it.
  15. thanks for that input wot the.

Very useful.
  16. Good info Wot The. Well done.
  17. Just thought I'd clarify a those phone numbers. On a mobile you can dial 000 or 112.
    112 on a mobile allows a phone that has no service on its prefered network to make an emergency call on any network that is within range.
    An emergency call can be made on any mobile that can be turned on, it doesnt require a sim card, credit, or unlocked key pad.
  18. Thanks for that, something I did not know, I had been wondering how to ring emergency numbers if I had a bingle, gone off the road and was not visible to passers by. Especially in mountain areas.
    I ride a lot by myself, and I am not slow,

19. word is you will be.
    i heard you lost your ticket recently?
    hope its just a rumour...
  20. Not yet, but very soon, I am waiting, waiting waiting, still wont slow me down. I will ski in the meantime. No Dereck up there.